BREAKING NEWS....WOW

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

Hmmmm...I wonder if this were about lil Johnny from say......PNG...and he was a big time baseball recruit with a bad tude.....Would these same folks want him banned for life? hmmmmm...Or would they say, "give the kid a break!"...makes you think.. ::)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm...I wonder if this were about lil Johnny from say......PNG...and he was a big time baseball recruit with a bad tude.....Would these same folks want him banned for life? hmmmmm...Or would they say, "give the kid a break!"...makes you think.. ::)

With my good friends at PNG, lil Johnny would have never missed a game if he threw 90 from the left side ;)

Silly question.Ā  everyone knows that baseball players don't have bad attitudes.

Guest nostradamus
Hmmmm...I wonder if this were about lil Johnny from say......PNG...and he was a big time baseball recruit with a bad tude.....Would these same folks want him banned for life? hmmmmm...Or would they say, "give the kid a break!"...makes you think..

Why Dicky V?Ā  Why?Ā  Why must you always go there?Ā 

I coached a kid in Jasper by the name of "Red" Bryant (6'5" 305 lb. STUD on the court-especially in 3A).Ā  I came in his senior year.Ā  He decided to play basketball at the last second.Ā  During our second district game, his fourth with the team, we were getting beat like a drum in Lufkin Hudson.Ā  During the third quarter he refused to go back in the game.Ā  I left it at that.Ā  After the game I gave ALL players a CHOICE.Ā  I told them, "We will be practicing at 9 AM (holidays), if you are not there then I will assume you don't want to be part of the team."Ā 

Well, you guessed it.Ā  He and several others did not show up to practice the next day.Ā  Our team went from 13 players to 8.Ā  We were 1-1 in district.Ā  We proceeded to win our next 7 games in district.Ā  At that point, suddenly, "Red" was asking if he could come back.Ā  I refused.Ā  He made his bed and now he had to lay in it.Ā  That team, which was made up of 2 varsity players, and 6 jv'ers won the district and lost in the regional quarterfinals in double OT.Ā  Still the best season by a Jasper squad to this date.

My point to this story is this:Ā  Me not letting "Red" come back was not GIVING UP on the kid.Ā  It was TEACHING him a lesson that GIVING UP on your team and DISRESPECTING your coach is not okay.Ā  It was TEACHING him that a group of COMMITTED people no matter their talent level can achieve great things.Ā  It was TEACHING that sometimes you have to lose something FOR GOOD to appreciate what you had and to make sure you never make that mistake again.Ā  Finally, every other kid in that program will tell you that the day I told "Red" thanks but no thanks was the day they realized that ALL KIDS will be treated EQUALLY and FAIRLY in our program.Ā 

Lastly, "Red" came up to me at graduation that year and told me personally, "Coach, I am sorry for quitting on you.Ā  You not letting me back on the team hurt but, I learned a lesson that I will never forget."

For those that don't know, "Red" has gone on to be a STUD DT for Texas A&M and will play on Sundays in the NFL very soon.Ā 

Guest orangeman

Wow Nos... that story is EXACTLY the right way to do things. I commend you greatly for your convictions and the decision that you made based on those convictions. I also commend your A.D. for backing you. If everyone handled similar situations in similar ways, the athletics world would be a better place. That may be the best post I've ever read in the year and a half I've been on this site. In the words of Jim Rome.... rack 'em!

Nostradamus, great post. It is amazing what a little bit of discipline will do for a kid and his future. If all coaches would only think of a kids future and not how they will help you win more games. Ā Bad thing is, all the coaches that defend kids, let me rephrase that, defend Great Athletes with discipline problems, really don't care about the kids after they have gotten there championships or district titles. I very seldom see coaches go to battle for a "B" teamer, but the ones that do are what I consider a true coach. You would have thought that after three years at a Catholic school he would have changed for the better. Ā I guess not. Ā And every kid deserves a second chance, but at 18 years old and almost a graduate of high school, when do we expect this change to occur. Ā And if somewhere down the line this kid, or any other athlete for that matter has a run in with the law, how many of his past coaches do you think will be there for him?

Guest DickVitale

What Jasper team won district? When Red Bryant and the other big Jasper (Jorie Adams) kid played basketball they were in OUR district back in 2001...Maybe that was Red's Sophomore year, but I remember those two BIG horses...What you did was admirable, and it was a good thing that he got it...But, what if that had happened on the football field where he was a REAL STUD? Ā If J'Covan had been put off of the cross country team, we would not even think about it...Red's FUTURE was in FOOTBALL...There is a difference.

Like clock work. Can always count on you for posting things like this.

Guest DickVitale

Yeah, but you know it's the truth..Maybe not with YOU, but people feel different ways about folks that don't look like them. You can act like it does not exist all you want, but you know whats real.

What Jasper team won district? When Red Bryant and the other big Jasper (Jorie Adams) kid played basketball they were in OUR district back in 2001...Maybe that was Red's Sophomore year, but I remember those two BIG horses...What you did was admirable, and it was a good thing that he got it...But, what if that had happened on the football field where he was a REAL STUD? Ā If J'Covan had been put off of the cross country team, we would not even think about it...Red's FUTURE was in FOOTBALL...There is a difference.

Jasper's last year in 4A basketball was 2002. Fall of '02 Jasper dropped to 3A. Red I believe graduated in '03. The coach could be speaking of the first or second year of 3A.

Yeah, but you know it's the truth..Maybe not with YOU, but people feel different ways about folks that don't look like them. You can act like it does not exist all you want, but you know whats real.

You are correct Dick, it does exist, sad to say. I am proud to say that it doesn't exist with me. I just felt this thread had nothing to do with it, and it wasn't necessary to post, just starting something all I saw out of it.

well they played alot better w/o brown players developed him coming back taking 30 plus shots completely dominating the ball they 'll loose the 1st or 2nd game with him as they go back to being his in game ball boys bad move by th e coach. what message does that send your team your good enough to get here but you need him to save you .way to retard a young teams growth.

:o

Guest DickVitale

I don't think that's true at all DV.Ā  Ā  I, and most of our posters, pull for all of our area kids.

SOME are pulling for ALL of the area kids..SOME...But you must know that there are others who really want kids like J'Covan to fail, and you can tell by how they speak on the topic..I am for ALL kids, and there are many on here like me, but the reality is, everyone does not feel the same way that I do.Ā 

I don't think that's true at all DV.Ā  Y I, and most of our posters, pull for all of our area kids.

SOME are pulling for ALL of the area kids..SOME...But you must know that there are others who really want kids like J'Covan to fail, and you can tell by how they speak on the topic..I am for ALL kids, and there are many on here like me, but the reality is, everyone does not feel the same way that I do.Ā 

When's the last time you've heard of these "posters" talking bad about T. Thomas(EC), Earl Thomas (WOS), K. Randall (Kelly), J. Charles (PAM), etc, etc.??Ā  I CAN"T REMEMBER, probably because IT HASN"T HAPPENED, and guess what, they are all "URBAN KIDS"!!!!!!!

Its not that people don't want J'Covan to succeed, its just most are tired of his antics.Ā  As a huge Longhorn fan, I WISH he would get his act together, but I've yet to see it.Ā 

Why does it always have to be about race?????Ā  Like I said, PNG kicked off their Best RB a few years back and for the most part the community backed it, so its hard to use that argument.

Urban....Suburban... Basketball people want to see good basketball from kids who know how to act and play.... period. The former Jasper coach hit the nail on the head...Coaches need to teach lessons when called for...The Memorial situation is a sad one..The kid can play, but he has a responsiblity to his community, teammates, and coaches , first. Behave like you're supposed to and people want to come see you play, because by gosh the kid can go....Basketball, it's not an indivdual sport.Ā  If you can't act right it reflects on the others. Golf and tennis are different...individual, not basketball.Ā  Humble, unselfish, committed, hard working, are all traits great players have.Ā  Talent only gets you so far, and if the kid doesn't ever get it, the P.A. rec will end up being his destination...

I think MOST fans want EVERY local player to succeed, regardless of what school they're from, or what race they are, or what their income or family background is. Ā The problem that J'Covan faces on this site is that his exploits have been well documented on here. Ā Many of the fans posting about him have seen his antics in person, and many were there when he finally crossed over the line and got kicked off the team. Ā Those who weren't there have certainly read several first-hand accounts of what happened. Ā It's not surprising that most people have developed strong opinions about the kid. Ā The thing is, i don't believe people are on here thinking "that black kid got what he deserved." Ā They're thinking "that kid who walked away from his team got what he deserved." Ā I think any kid who had done that at any school in the area would've been punished in a similar fashion. Ā I know several coaches wouldn't have even let him come back for the playoffs, and several posters on here would make the same types of comments about any kid who did the same type of thing. Ā As it is, I'm happy for both he and his teammates. Ā Every kid his age deserves a second chance, even if it's his 2nd or 3rd second chance. Ā I hope that he can come in and be an impact player, both on the court and on the bench. Ā We know he's a giant on the court, but I'm ready to see if his time off has helped him to reflect on the type of player he needs to become in the locker room. Ā Good luck to Brown and PAM in their game. Ā 

Guest nostradamus

Dicky,

We won district my first year there '02-'03.Ā  Went 11-3.Ā  Played two games with a full squad before the above incident happened.Ā  First outright district championship for Jasper in 43 years.

It doesn't matter what sport was HIS sport.Ā  "Red" will be the first to tell you that basketball is his "true love".Ā  "Red" was a GREAT kid and had no prior history of causing any problems in ANY sport.Ā  Ā 

Hey!!! News flash... I am BLACK... I grew up in the Ghetto! Ā I want to see J Brown do well! But this kid was so bad attitude wise that I stopped going to his games... I was all wired to see the senior/leader JBrown I went to 3 of their five games... The kids attitude made me sick to my stomach and I couldn't stand to watch him anymore... I was one of the first to condemn him and was one of the last to back off of him... Ā I do wanna see if this suspension makes a difference. I hate to see talent go to waste reguardless of the ethnicity of the kid... Ā I feel what you saying Dickie but some things don't need to be mentioned on here... Racism does exist like that guy who was talking about "White Flight" to Lumberton because Falgout did not start at QB at the Brook. But this message board is not the place for it... Ā COOP make a socio-economical effects on sports in the TriAngle forum just for these topics or just leave them alone...

Guest bleed orange

Same OLD song. How long is that song going to play? Does it exist, yes it does but not like you think. It exist in all races. I for one don't see color. I see the person. Times have changed. You say people want to see him fail. You are missing the big picture. If you help a kid up everytime then how will he learn to get up by himself. I love to see anybody do well and prosper. But sometime you have hit rock bottom, then pick your self back up. How many chances are will willing to give? Hopefully this kid will go to college and it will change his whole life for the better.