Texas State D1 football?

Guest abovetherim

Texas State is already DI in football. A lot of people don't understand there are two subdivisions in college football. The southland conference competes at the DI level in ALL SPORTS. However, in college football there is FCS (Football Championship Series) formerly I-AA and FBS (Football Bowl Series) formerly I-A. For example the Big 12, SEC, Pac 10, Big 10, ACC, WAC, C-USA conferences are FBS in football. The SLC is a FCS conference in football and Texas State is looking to move to a FBS conference.

I agree they really need to think this carefully as they haven't really done much to warrant moving to another conference. However, they should do whatever they feel better serves their student body, alumni and administration. I don't like reading stuff other schools fans say Lamar should do in athletics so I won't comment further regarding their efforts of having a great environment for their students.

Just wanted to say I agree with your comments about reading stuff other schools fans say about Lamar athletics and I would include its fans.

Also, thanks for the explanation about FBS and FCS.  It clears up what was said in the other forums and threads that were about Texas State.

Guest coachacola

Texas State has been toying with the idea of going FBS for a while now.  They compete under the shadow of UT so I think they feel like they need to do this so they can be taken seriously by the Austin media.  And with UTSA down the road talking about starting football and going FBS as soon as possible, they don't want to get left behind.

I was in San Marcos this past weekend and they were explaining to me that Texas State is trying to Division 1 in football...I don't see why the would go this rout, other then 2005 they haven't had much recent success in football.  I believe you should be a power house at the lower levels before moving up.

A school don't need to be a powerhouse FCS to go FBS. It helps to get in a better conference A school only needs the money and fan support and desire to succeed.

Marshall was a FCS powerhouse, what are they today?  An average/below average FBS team. Being a FCS power only got them in cusa...thats it.

Someone please explain how this D1 thing work to these people...

Like they said its all about MONEY!!!!!

And how much revenue through fan base that you can bring to a D1 A conference.  It is perferable that you bring a winning team up from D1 AA, but it is not neccesary that they be winning...  (but mostly only winning programs have the fan base). There has to be a conference that is willing to expand availible for a move as well...  There are conferences like the Big 12, Pac-10, and Big 10, that use the number of schools in their conference as a reference name to it titles, those conferences are reluctant to add schools...  The ACC, Big East, Conference USA, WCC, WAC and the Sun Belt conference has accepted most change in recent years.

And basketball and baseball is even more difficult o understand....

Guest coachacola

If they want to play FBS football then another conference would have to take them, like the Sunbelt or maybe the WAC.  Supposedly there's going to be a lot of movement after 2011 when NCAA moratorium ends that's preventing schools from moving from FCS to FBS football.  Texas State is hoping at that time there will be an opening somewhere for them. 

They would be attractive to another conference based on their size and location in the Austin metro market (although UT sucks up all the attention there).  But for such a large school with the largest athletic budget in the SLC (twice as big as Lamar's), their athletic department seems to be floundering.  They don't dominate the SLC in any sport, their football team is always mediocre, and they don't even have the best facilities in the conference.

If they want to play FBS football then another conference would have to take them, like the Sunbelt or maybe the WAC.  Supposedly there's going to be a lot of movement after 2011 when NCAA moratorium ends that's preventing schools from moving from FCS to FBS football.  Texas State is hoping at that time there will be an opening somewhere for them. 

They would be attractive to another conference based on their size and location in the Austin metro market (although UT sucks up all the attention there).  But for such a large school with the largest athletic budget in the SLC (twice as big as Lamar's), their athletic department seems to be floundering.  They don't dominate the SLC in any sport, their football team is always mediocre, and they don't even have the best facilities in the conference.

They have a really nice football stadium though...

Guest coachacola

Texas State students approve fee increase

SAN MARCOS - Students at Texas State University-San Marcos have voted to increase the fees they pay to support Bobcat athletics in an effort to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS -- formerly Division I-A).

In a referendum held Feb. 12 and 13, Texas State students voted 4,738 (79.6 percent) to 1,214 (20.4 percent) to authorize the university to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years.

The university will carry the measure forward and ask that it be approved by The Texas State University System Board of Regents at its meeting Feb. 22 at Lamar University in Beaumont.

Increasing the student athletics fee is the first step in a process university officials say they hope will have the school ready to move to the FBS in four years. The NCAA recently established a four-year moratorium on moves within football subdivisions.

"I am very proud of our students for their support of this initiative," said Texas State President Denise M. Trauth. "It shows they are excited about the future of athletics at Texas State and in the continuing progress of the university. The Associated Student Government did an excellent job of promoting this measure and we are thankful for that organization's effort and their pride in the university."

The five-year increase in the student athletic fee will eventually double the fall 2008 fee of $10 per semester credit hour. By 2013, students will be paying more than $10 million a year to support athletics. Additional funding will come from other sources, said Trauth.

Reagan Pugh, president of Texas State's Associated Student Government, said, "While it might seem that we voted on an athletic fee increase, what we really did was make one more step in the direction of bettering our university as a whole. The students have voiced their belief in Texas State and I could not thank them enough for leading us down the path of making today's vision tomorrow's tradition."

Trauth said future success will require a team effort.

"Our students have done their part and shown their commitment," said Trauth. "But they can't do it alone. Their contribution will take us a long way, but we need others to get on board as well. Together, we can make this a very special time to be Bobcats."

Trauth said the university will work toward striking a balance with additional funding coming from ticket sales, marketing and sponsorships, community support, suite leases and capital gifts complementing student and institutional support.

She said the university recently received a $1 million contribution to Bobcat athletics, the largest gift ever in support of athletics at Texas State. That gift came from Texas State alumnus Darren Casey, a San Antonio businessman.

University officials say the current NCAA moratorium on moving within football subdivisions presents a unique opportunity to implement a comprehensive plan for the football transition.

"We want to be ready to step forward when the moratorium is lifted," said Larry Teis, Texas State director of athletics. "We know what needs to be done, and now it is time to take the next steps."

Benchmarks for a strategic plan have already been recommended by the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee, appointed by Trauth in May 2007. That committee made several specific recommendations regarding athletics at Texas State, including maintaining academic success, facilities improvements, competitive success in all programs, increased attendance at athletic events and the move to the NCAA FBS.

The Texas State President's Cabinet endorsed the committee's report in November, and it then received the approval of the Associated Student Government, which sponsored the student referendum. With approval by the students, an affirmative vote by the TSUS Regents will formally implement the process.

Guest abovetherim

Good for them. I wonder if I'll be reading editorals and commentaries of why Texas State should not seek these fees from their students. To all you people stating Lamar is getting more expensive, check out Texas States tuition and fees. They were already more expensive than Lamar.

Congratulations to their student body, the alumni and athletic department. Looks like they will be headed for a FBS conference. In the next 5 years, they will be playing $10 for an athletic fee. Darn, they have over 25,000 students. Simple math here since I'm terrible in the subject. $10 x 20,000 x 12 hrs x 2 long semesters. That is $4.8 million and they have 28,000 students as of fall 2007 and that isn't counting summer sessions.

Edit: I should have read the whole article. They already state the students will be paying $10 million annually starting in 2013 on athletics.

I really hope I don't read another post about how much Lamar students are paying. Texas State tuition was already higher than LU.

Guest coachacola

If they leave the SLC then the conference will probably bring up another DII school to fill their spot.  With all the good things happening here at Lamar the last thing we need is to stay in a conference with a bunch of former DII schools.  UTSA also wants to go the FBS route so they may leave in 5 years too.  Most of Lamar's athletic upgrades will be complete in 5 years so I hope they also make some type of move to a better conference.

Enrollment has nothing to do with it... look at Rice, they have 4,000 students and they are in CUSA.

Enrollment has everything to do with it. There are exceptions but the most successful programs have large enrollment, which translates to a large alumni group, that translates to dollars to the university. Texas State is one of the fastest growing universities in the state, and in a state that produces a large number of FB players. They have all the right pieces to become successful.

Guest abovetherim

I agree with everyones comments here. Everyone knows I don't like the SLC but I have held by comments. I don't like to upset people when I know someone will object. However, the SLC is not the same SLC of the 80's and this conference is mostly made up of former DII schools.

I'm sure the administration will make the correct call but IMO, Lamar needs to get out of the SLC as soon as possible.

Guest coachacola

A large student body certainly helps, but it's not essential for FBS.  La Tech survives in the WAC because of their TV deal and some BCS money.  They are also located in a small town.  Of course they haven't been very successful of late, but they are in a better position than Lamar.  There are also a lot of small private schools that play FBS football too.

Lamar just needs to keep doing what they've been doing since Dr. Simmons and Billy Tubbs took over.  In five years Lamar should be prepared to move on to a better conference.  Enrollment should be pushing 14,000 (same as South Alabama's which will be playing FBS football soon) and most of Lamar's athletic facility improvements should be about done.  And with 2 seasons of LU football played by then, we'll know how much community support is out there.

I agree with coachacola. I wish they could make a conference with like U of H, Rice, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Louisiana-Lafayette, UT-Arlington, SFA, Texas State, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, and Lamar.

East                                      West

La Tech                                Baylor

Louisiana-Lafayette                TCU 

Southern Miss                        SMU

Lamar                                    UT-Arlington

Rice                                      SFA

U of H                                  Texas State

This wouldn't be the greatest conference, but I think LU could be compete

Here is my current guestimate...

CUSA

FLA Int

FLA Atl

Troy

USA

ECU

So Miss

UCF

MARSHALL

unc charlotte

Georgia Southern

App st

North Florida

Sunbelt

----

La-Mon

Ark st

Chattanooga

MTSU

NW st

UALR

SFA

SHSU

Texas st

SELA

Mcneese

UNO

sw

----

UAB

UH

NM st

UTSA

UNT

Tulsa

SMU

Rice

La-tech

LU

Tulane

ULL

southland

-----------

UT Arlington

Mid-western

Abilene Christian

Centra Ok

West Texas AM

Angelo State

TAM-CC

Nichols st

Delta st

Tarleton st

Texas AM Kingsville

UC Arkansas

Texas State moving to FBS?

From the Statesman...

Students vote to help pay for program's move up to the next level

FROM STAFF REPORTS

Thursday, February 14, 2008

The students at Texas State are willing to pay for big-time football.

Texas State students voted overwhelmingly to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision.

Of the 5,952 votes tallied on Tuesday and Wednesday, 4,738 (79.6 percent) were in favor of the increase.

The university will ask that the fee increase be approved by the Texas State University board of regents during a meeting on Feb. 22 at Lamar University in Beaumont.

The plan is to have the Bobcats ready for the highest level of NCAA football in four years, the earliest Texas State could make the move. The NCAA recently voted for a four-year moratorium on universities changing football subdivisions.

Texas State now competes in the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) as a member of the Southland Conference. In 2005, the Bobcats reached the Division I-AA semifinals before losing to Northern Iowa 40-37 in overtime.

The Bobcats were 4-7 in 2007, 3-4 in the Southland.

This past season, 119 teams competed in the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A), including 10 in Texas.

"I am very proud of our students for their support of this initiative," Texas State president Denise M. Trauth said in a statement. "It shows they are excited about the future of athletics at Texas State and in the continuing progress of the university."

Students currently pay an athletics fee of $10 per semester credit hour. That amount will double in five years, but it won't be the only source of income to fund the planned move.

Trauth said the university will try to raise additional funds through ticket sales, marketing and sponsorships, community support, suite leases and capital gifts.

The university recently received a $1 million donation for athletics from alumnus Darren Casey, a San Antonio businessman.

""We want to be ready to step forward when the moratorium is lifted," said Larry Teis, Texas State's director of athletics. "We know what needs to be done, and now it is time to take the next steps."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kakiri550
    Newest Member
    kakiri550

• No chance in hell that this pos is found guilty. 
    • After his silly conviction, President Trump has raised over 200 Million dollars!  The people are seeing through it!  Excellent!  
    • Let’s see if joe biden’s words about no one is above the law, made after the rigged trial of President Trump, rings true with his po💩son.  Hopefully, but I’m not going to hold my breath, they put the sorry sob in prison.
    • I liked his no bull crap attitude. He was a man of very few words. Extremely strong and freaky athletic!!! As close as possible to being the best offensive lineman to ever play the game. I hope his family finds peace without him!!! RIP #73
    • Chester, a small town in NE Tyler County.  A town that is seeing growth with the addition of a national chain store and a new school being built.  If you travel 287 toward Dallas from the Golden Triangle you have probably passed through Chester.  Things tend to stay pretty consistent and it is your typical small town.   A trip to state is the buzz around town, and the talk before church services begin on Sunday.  This year’s graduating class will number 11.  We don’t have a radio station that covers the Yellowjackets.  We are never a lead story on any of the news stations that broadcast to our community. With all that said, there is a closeness and sense of pride in our community.  Every community rallies behind their kids as they progress into the playoffs.  We are proud of our boys as they have represented our community well and with class. We invite you to follow our boys as they go to state.  We welcome the greater SETX communities as honorary Yellowjackets.  Tune in, watch live or come to Round Rock personally and join us in supporting the Chester Yellowjackets.  Go ‘Jackets!!! ⚾️💜💛⚾️🟣🟡⚾️💜💛⚾️
  • Topics