Your teams biggest rival and what created the rivalry?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone you play is a rival. To say someone is a rival to me just means you play them, hopefully every year in district or have a good non-district thing going.

I think what most people think of when you say rival is their archrival.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: arch·ri·val

Pronunciation: -'rI-v&l

Function: noun

: a principal rival.

Nederland has had many rivals over the years. There was a very good 30+ year rivalry with PA TJ, a good one until recently with WO-S (especially in recent years) and a few others. I hated TJ "almost" as much as PN-G.

But as good as some of these rivalries were, none are really close to PN-G/Nederland. It is a game that is talked about all year and it has been that way long before there were internet forums to keep it active. We started playing them 81 years ago and I started watching the games in the early 60's. It was as intense then as it is now.

So yes, there are some good rivalries but it is the archrival that really makes a difference. I know that until Beaumont merged their schools, South Park Greenies and Beaumont High Royal Purples were very good archrivals as were Charlton Pollard Bulldogs and Hebert Panthers. Midland Lee and Odessa Permian come to mind as a strong archrivalry that has lasted many years. Maybe Silsbee and Jasper fit into that category but I am not that familiar with them.

If someone is trying to figure out who their archrival is, then they don't have one.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME tvc184? That Silsbee and Jasper maybe fit in this catagory.  And if you don't know about Silsbee and Jasper football then you are not a Southeast Texas football fan. You say Ned/PNG have been playing for 81 years, you have to go a little further back for the Silsbee/Jasper rivalry (archivalry) started.  To have an archivalry it has to mean something in district play. It has to substain an importance in the out come of the district that you are playing in year in and year out. Not every once in a few years. Weather it is knocking the other team out of the playoffs, trying to get in the playoffs, or the out come in the district standing for the playoffs. This is what happens when Silsbee/Jasper play. Every year one of the above is on the line each time they play.  Don't get upset I have not typed anthing negative about Ned/PNG. It's easy to be a rival (archival) when you live across the street from someone, but to have to travel 45 miles to play someone and the intensity is off the charts every year that is unbeleaveable. When you live in the backyard of the media it is easy to get the exposure than you would if you live 40 min. to 1 hr 30 min. from the media.

Don't get bothered because I don't know the history of Jasper and Silsbee. I am not sure why you think I should be familiar with Jasper and Silsbee history or what they did 50-80 years ago anymore than you should know about Nederland and PN-G. I don't know if Jasper and Silsbee have been playing continuously since 1925 or earlier. Have they? When did they start playing and what is their record?  I asked the question 3 days ago in this thread and never got an answer.

I know that they have both been rivals of late due to being in the same district sometimes. I said they may be in the category of some of the great rivalries. I am not familiar with their history so I left it at that. I don't think I have ever heard anyone ever talking about Jasper/Silsbee outside of these boards but I don't imagine that Nederland is a hot topic around downtown Jasper either. Why should they be?

PN-G and Nederland have played 83 times since 1925 and PN-G leads the series with Nederland 46-30-7.

Look tvc184 I'm not asking you to know the history of Silsbee/Jasper or any other team. If you would venture out and look on this web site you can find a lot of history on any team. Being a Southeast Texas football fan one should know a little about Southeast Texas football not just one little corner. People like it better when you can talk about a varity of things. You say you have been watching Ned/PNG since the early 60's and you have never heard people talk about Silsbee/Jasper. You need to get out and get a clue. Southeast Texas football fans talk about all teams in Southeast Texas. It's just what we do. We all love our home teams and some we hate, but we talk about all of them. It's fun, it really is. You should try it, you'll like it. If you want to know when Silsbee/Jasper started playing, look it up. It's on the web site. 

Don't call your self a low life tvc184. Take this for what it is. That there mite just be big archrivals here in Southeast Texas that is just as good as Ned/PNG. This is Southeast Texas football, no where in the state do you have a 5A, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A as tough as these. No where. Our 3A class has gone down to the wire in football, volleyball, now girls and boys basketball, and i'm sure in softball and baseball, as well as the rest of the sports. There is some really good football played north of I10 and east of the Nechus River. There really is. Southeast Texas football teams have to beat there brains out just to make the play off. There is no slack week. This is what makes Southeast Texas football so great. This is why there are several archrivals in this area.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder