Attendance at the Sam Houston Game

PNG1992

announced at 3600???

I have a hard time believing that number is correct. The Montagne was nearly 1/2 full with a large number of students representing. I am a season ticket holder and have been to every home game this season except 1 and that was the loudest, most attended game of the season by far and it wasnt even close. I saw a lot of new faces in tonights crowd and we were all given a treat.

Oh yea.....great game tonight guys and I hope Nabors is OK!

Hey guys, I am just going off of what KLVI's Dave Hofferth reported. I did overhear on the radio the public address announce the attendance at 3656, that's when Dave told us listeners what the total was. That is a paid attendance number. They do let students in for free after halftime.

You have to go by the paid number. Lamar needs that number to increase.

It did seem like more than 3600, but I still thought the numbers were a little disappointing.  Students are counted, so they should be there.  The enthusiasm was great, though.  The crowd was really loud and into the game.  Once, SHSU traveled and no one on the floor heard the whistle, and the play didn't stop until they saw the ref making the signal.

It did seem like more than 3600, but I still thought the numbers were a little disappointing.  Students are counted, so they should be there.  The enthusiasm was great, though.  The crowd was really loud and into the game.  Once, SHSU traveled and no one on the floor heard the whistle, and the play didn't stop until they saw the ref making the signal.

See, that's what you want out of your home crowd.

I am a season ticket holder, so I do make several games. The one thing that bothers me about our crowds is the lack of student participation. My 16 year old son even pointed it out to me. He is always wondering where the students are. All he sees is a bunch of old Cards at the games, no students. Take in mind that he is used to Aggie football, basketball, and baseball games where it's heavily student participation.

Until we can get the students back going to the games and them getting involved, we will hover around that 3,000 mark for a while.

Guest abovetherim

Agreed, but I have a couple relatives who attend Lamar and I do currently. Yes, I know I'm an adult student but the point I want to make is, Winning at a college/university like Lamar there will be more fan's and students in the stands the more Lamar wins. If Lamar had SHSU record coming into tonight's game there would have been over 6,000 in attendance. Then to be honestly comparing Lamar and Texas A&M is a little unfair. I mean one spends over $100 million on athletics (their football coaching staff probably makes more than the yearly Lamar athletic budget) and Lamar's athletic budget is about $5 million.

I wasn't trying to make a comparison, that's definetly apples and oranges( A&M being the apples ;D). That is just what my son is use to seeing.

My point has nothing to do with school budgets. I want to see more student participation. I know that winning will bring them, but we don't even have a core group of students that you can rely on every game. Even with the record the Cards have now, there still should be around 500 students going crazy for the team. Right now, we may get 50 on a good night. I just think the percentage of STUDENTS who attend games is just too low, even for a 10,000 enroll campus.

I am hoping football unleashes the spirit.

You guys are making some good points... i definitely agree that if the cards start winning more games, they'll get more fans.  i also agree that they need more kids going crazy in the stands, as this will boost team morale and help the cards get the wins they need.  since the basketball team hasn't been all that great for several years, lamar needs to give fans some reasons to come back, and for this to happen, they have to start winning games.  push a little more money through the program, pick up better recruits, and win.  that's about the only way it's going to happen.  i would say that the university could spend some extra money on promotionals and entertainment at the game to get fans in, but i personally would prefer them to feed that money into the program.  this year held a lot of promise, but it started out badly.  maybe now that LU is starting to pull it together the fans will start trickling back in.  a conference championship would go a long way towards boosting attendance (and i asked for a trip to the big dance for lamar when i sat on santa's lap at the mall). 

man i really wanted to be there tonight, already had a prior engagement.  I will definitely be at the next home game!  glad to see the cards win, with that many in attendance its very important they win and continue to win.  ive always believed that winning is most important, if you want to get fans to fill the seats.  its probably too late, but i wonder if its possible to have a pep rally for both mens and womens  basketball teams at the start of conference.  maybe that will get the students that live on campus more excited about attending the games.  have the pep band and cheeleaders attend, invite the community and alumni too.  keep winning cards southeast texas is behind you!  Go! Big! Red!       

Guest coachacola

I mentioned this on the football thread, but I think bringing back football will bring more students to the basketball games.  Not this season, but when they start playing football in 2010 (or whenever), they'll be a lot of excitement on campus.  And after football season is over they'll want to continue the fun by going to the basketball games.  And as a few others have said, it sure would help to have some 20 win seasons and maybe a trip to the NCAA tourney too.

To clear up some information about the attendance number:

The listed attendance is tickets sold + comped tickets + tickets given away + student attendance.  If a season ticket holder or other purchased ticket doesn't show up, they are counted.  The only attendees not counted are the teams and coaches, the band, and game workers.  The actual gate count from last night was actually much less than the listed number.

One way we can get this up is for Season Ticket holders to let the ticket office know when they are not planning to go to the game.  The ticket office can always give those tickets away to people who can come.  So if you have tickets and can't go, or know anyone, please call the ticket office and let them know.  Also, spread the word about this.  The more people we can have in the stands the better.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hinab
    Newest Member
    hinab