*Lamar vs. Sam Houston State/LU WINS IN OT 93-90/COMMENTS*

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great game for the cards. We hit 18-30 (60%) from the line vs. SFA, but 25-27 (about 93%) against SHSU. Free throws won it for us. It was a great win, a big win, however we have 2 big road games we need to win. We have to win on the road and it starts in Conway this Thursday.

Lamar Erases 14-Point Deficit To Defeat Sam Houston, 93-90, In OT

LU outscores SHSU 17-14 in overtime

Lamar Sanders and Matthew Barrow each scored 18 points as Lamar erased a 14-point first-half deficit to defeat Sam Houston State, 93-90, in overtime at the Montagne Center Saturday night.

After falling behind 34-20 with 3:34 to play in the opening period, Lamar fought back and took its first lead of the game, 56-53, on a Barrow 3-pointer with 12:23 to play. The Cardinals used a 21-6 spurt and led 61-55 with just over 10 minutes left, but in the final quarter of regulation had four lead changes and six ties.

Tied at 76 following regulation, Lamar made three 3-pointers to jump out to seven point lead and never trailed in the overtime. The Cardinals made all eight free throws and outscored the Bearkats 17-14 in the final frame.

Lamar (8-8, 2-1 Southland) won its seventh-consecutive at home and made it two-straight over SHSU. Two days after shooting just 60 percent from the free throw line, the Cardinals made 25-of-27 for 92.6 percent.

Brandon McThay and Justin Nabors each had 13 points, while Kenny Dawkins and Darren Hopkins added 10 apiece. Lamar held a 42-35 rebounding edge.

SHSU (14-3, 2-2) had all five starters in double figures led by Ashton Mitchell and DeLuis Ramirez netting 19 each.

It was Lamar's first overtime game of the season and the third for SHSU who dropped to 1-2. Lamar is now 41-38 all-time in overtime contests and 24-14 at home. The 93 points scored by Lamar were the most against SHSU since the last meeting between the two teams - a 99-98 Cardinal win in the opening round of the 2007 Southland Tournament.

Lamar will travel to Central Arkansas (11-7, 1-2 SLC) for a Thursday night contest in Conway, slated for a 7 p.m. tip.

The refs were the worst I have seen in a long time. They were horrible. I am glad that we ended up winning that game. The crowd was great. It was very loud in there. I would say there were probably 4200 to 4500 people tonight, if we win the next game we should have alot of people when we play McNeese.

I've been to a lot of games in the past and the SLC officials always seem to call A LOT of fouls.  Maybe I'm wrong but it just seems like a lot of games turn into free throw shooting contests.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33