**Nederland's Dravannti Johnson Selected To Play In Army All American Bowl**

KFDM COOP

http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/

U.S. ARMY ALL-AMERICAN BOWL SELECTS

NEDERLAND HIGH SCHOOL STANDOUT LINEBACKER

DRAVANNTI JOHNSON

Johnson Earns Elite Status

Nederland, TX (November 28, 2007) – Dravannti Johnson of Nederland High School, Nederland, TX has been selected to play in the 2008 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, the premier high school football game that connects the strengths of the nation’s top players with those of Army Strong Soldiers. Johnson will join an elite group of student-athletes selected to play in the eighth annual U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Saturday, January 5, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. This classic East vs. West match-up will be televised live on NBC at 1:00 PM EST and will feature the nation’s top 84 high school football players.

“Dravannti represents the same strengths and values of my fellow U.S. Army Soldiers, including loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity and personal courage,†said Colonel David Lee, Director of Strategic Communications, Marketing and Outreach for the U.S. Army Accessions Command. “He has demonstrated a commitment to excellence on the field, and we are proud to recognize him as an U.S. Army All-American.â€

“Johnson comes off the edge with strength and purpose. He is a solid athletic player who always seems to be around the ball. He can stuff the run but also makes a lot of tackles downfield,†said Tom Lemming who is one of the nation's leading experts on college football recruiting.

Johnson, a standout linebacker at Nederland High School was one of 400 players nominated nationally and then ultimately selected by the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee. The Selection Committee consists of Tom Lemming, Rivals.com and SportsLink. As a U.S. Army All-American, Johnson is eligible for the following honors: U.S. Army Player of the Year Award, Walter Payton Trophy and the Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard U.S. Army Awards.

As part of being selected to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, Head Coach Larry Nuemann is invited to travel to San Antonio compliments of the U.S. Army and attend the U.S. Army Coaches Academy, an elite two-day learning experience featuring NFL and NCAA coaches, and to participate in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl game week activities.

Since its inception, the U.S. Army All-American Bowl has been considered the nation’s premier All-American game by high school football players, coaches, and fans from across the country, as it’s the preeminent launching pad for America’s future college and NFL stars. HoopInsider Reggie Bush, Vince Young, Adrian Peterson and Brady Quinn all made their national debuts as U.S. Army All-Americans.  Last year the U.S. Army All-American Bowl set its own attendance record, as 35,151 fans attended the game at the Alamodome.

For more information on the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and its related events visit http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com & http://www.goarmy.com.  The U.S. Army All-American Bowl is owned by SportsLink, a New Jersey-based sports marketing and event management company.

Dravannti receives his All-American Bowl game jersey

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

NEDERLAND -- Dravannti Johnson accepted his 08 jersey with pride on Wednesday. The U.S. Army contained a special family meaning to him.

Besides the obvious honor of being selected to play in the eighth annual U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 5 at noon in San Antonio's Alamodome, the Nederland defender pointed to a special Army connection in his immediate family.

His mom and life-long best buddy, Darnetta Garcia, served in the U.S. Army and was stationed at Fort Dixon, N.J. in 1987.

It also mattered plenty to this University of Texas pledge that Johnson earned the distinction of being the first-ever Nederland player to compete in the annual post-season game, honoring 84 of the nation's premier high school senior football players and 91 of the nation's premier high school band members.

"It feels great that I set a standard for Nederland," the 6-2, 225-pound defensive end said after a Wednesday afternoon ceremony in the NHS coaches conference room. "It's great to be the first one to do something.

"It's one of the best All-America games in the nation. You can't take that away. I'm an All-American."

Currently ranked No. 131 on Scout.com's list of the nation's top 150 college football recruits, Johnson has maintained his desire to follow through on his commitment to sign with the University of Texas this winter. Johnson plans to enroll in the spring semester at the UT-Austin campus.

But before he becomes a Longhorn, Dravannti has one more game to play. Johnson will head to San Antonio on Dec. 30 to participate in pre-game practices for the West squad.

"I'm definitely feeling good about this," he said. "I feel privileged. I grew up watching the Army game in the past years. I've looked up to the guys who have played in this game."

Representatives from the U.S. Army Bowl selection tour and U.S. Army Sergeant First Class Ronsoni Long from Panama City, Fla., participated in Wednesday's ceremony as Long presented the All American Bowl jersey to Johnson. Four tour teams travel across the country and log a combined 30,000 miles from October through December to participate in announcements such as today's announcement with Johnson.

"They don't just pick any athlete to be a U.S. Army All-American," Long said. "Dravannti should be very proud that he was selected."

More than one million student athletes across the nation participate in varsity high school football programs across the 50 states. Approximately 400 players are nominated by a bowl selection committee to participate in the game. Then the committee trims down the invitees to a select few.

Nederland never has had a player selected before now. The last All-American Bowl selection from the immediate Port Arthur area was Memorial's Jamaal Charles three years ago.

"Dravannti is the kind of young man who eats, sleeps and breathes the qualities of the U.S. Army," Long said.

Johnson told Wednesday afternoon's NHS press conference that he intended to "strive to represent my community the best that I can."

yes that was probably the last time anyone saw him make a tackle

Dumb comment.  He already signed with Texas after his junior year.  Obviously they saw something in him.  Not to mention that teams ran away from him alot this year because he had already made a name for himself.

It is really sad  to me that people are being so negative.... Why not just congradulate him and keep you personal NEGATIVE comments to yourselves. Whats to say he does not read this board.  I guess the recruiters at UT don't know more than all you couch potato ex high school footballers.  These people are paid to scout and recruit. I think they know what they are doing. and it sort of P***** me off that yall are being so opinionated when you really know so little. Congrats young man on reaping the reward of  your hard work and dedication.  Enjoy the experience of this game and I hope you do well at UT.

It's sad that people can't just say good job and wish him well.It's not often that we have guys get this honor from this area. He's representing all of us. And regarding the season, if you were a coach who would you run to? #44 or others? Think, he's a marked man and watch him try and be blocked one on one all game. No-one even knew he had a partially separated shoulder since the Ozen game

He didnt' have a good year, nevertheless, we all know what he is capable of.  Texas will have him looking great.

Mack Brown and his staff do a poor job of developing talent ie: Chris Simms.

Texas may put some beef on him but talent wise, he's as good as he's gonna get. He should have picked another school.

Mack Brown and his staff do a poor job of developing talent ie: Chris Simms.

Texas may put some beef on him but talent wise, he's as good as he's gonna get. He should have picked another school.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.  Chris Simms is all you have?  How about Vince, Jamaal, Derrick Johnson, Bo Scaife, Ahmard Hall, Thomas........ etc....  The Horns have more talent in the NFL right now than just about anyone else. 

But back to what this thread is all about... Congrats to you DJ.... good luck and HOOK'EM!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86