Since 1975, PNG Has Made 5 Trips to the State Championship, Won 2 -- Nederland Has 0 Trips and Consequently 0 State Titles!

Reagan

I went from Troy (9th Grade) Malone (10th and 11th Grades) to Owens (12th Grade) and I can tell you the biggest difference between Malone and the other two was the Strength and Conditioning program as well as the intensity of the off season. Malone and his staff were on a whole different level from the others. 

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

I'll ask you a simple question.  And, since all we do is give opinions, this is all the answer will be.   If Nederland had PNG's coaching staff you think Nederland would look as bad as they have been?  

How about this:  You don't think Buchanan at Aledo or Surratt at Carthage had any affect on the school winning and community support?  Trust me -- if PNG was going 0-10 there would not be the excited that you see now and seen in the past under the right coach.  PS, what has happened to Nederland?  Could it be because of the wrong coach?!  I think so!    Again, my opinion! 

I think if you swap staffs, Nederland may have a slightly better season, who knows? But they dang sure aren’t gonna win state in one year or even come close to it. Why? Because coaching is a small part of a way bigger picture. A picture full of moving parts. 

Coaching is the clear difference. Look at WOS a few years ago vs now.  No culture change, just a different coaching staff. PNG under this coaching staff goes to state with at least one of R Johnson teams.  Joesph takes over a Faircloth team and goes to state the next season. I’d go as far as saying that this current PNG staff would have took one or two of the 2014, 2015 Nederland teams to state. 

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

but it’s clear now there was another level to get the boys to. 

There's always been another level to get the boys to.

27 minutes ago, dadofabulldog said:

Coaching is the clear difference. Look at WOS a few years ago vs now.  No culture change, just a different coaching staff.

Lots of factors......Neumans 11,12,13 teams went big school. Faced Georgetown a couple times and Pearland Dawson. the 01 semifinal team lost to Smithson Valley in the Semis. They in turn lost to a Pretty salty SLC team in the SC game. Matchups mean alot. As we speak, there's no comparison in the coaching at the 2 schools. Joseph walked into a good roster, and turned it into a State Contender. Winning is contagious and everyone wants to be a part, therefore he's clearing the hallways and getting so many more to work with He's also developing these kids and doing a fantastic job. He also has the benefit of the small school route. Just my take.......

Faircloth ran a great tremendous program at PNG! Won many many games for them, and his last year there he went to what round 4? Faircloth had a great winning culture, solid foundation was laid for Coach Joseph and company to come right in and get to work. It’s crazy to me the transition PNG had tho went from an offensive team we going to outscore you to a defensive team and limit positions. I mean look at that FBM Marshall game 7-0 win they had. But look how it has played out, offense will win you some games, but Defense wins championships!! 

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

The physical difference in PnG’s players after one off-season under Joseph was obvious. We went from being skinny high school kids to developed athletes. The progress only continued into year two. I don’t know if Faircloth just didn’t have a lot of faith in the weight room, or thought we were already doing enough, but it’s clear now there was another level to get the boys to. 

@Reagan look at this… coaches invested. 

1 hour ago, dadofabulldog said:

Coaching is the clear difference. Look at WOS a few years ago vs now.  No culture change, just a different coaching staff. PNG under this coaching staff goes to state with at least one of R Johnson teams.  Joesph takes over a Faircloth team and goes to state the next season. I’d go as far as saying that this current PNG staff would have took one or two of the 2014, 2015 Nederland teams to state. 

Definitely the 2012 team 

38 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Faircloth ran a great tremendous program at PNG! Won many many games for them, and his last year there he went to what round 4? Faircloth had a great winning culture, solid foundation was laid for Coach Joseph and company to come right in and get to work. It’s crazy to me the transition PNG had tho went from an offensive team we going to outscore you to a defensive team and limit positions. I mean look at that FBM Marshall game 7-0 win they had. But look how it has played out, offense will win you some games, but Defense wins championships!! 

I’m still a huge Faircloth fan. He certainly put a lot of fun teams together. And we were a better-than-average team most of the time, and we had a few great teams under him. Not to mention sending several qbs to play college ball. 

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

@Reagan look at this… coaches invested. 

I was told by a friend on here that Nederland's coaching directed weight training program was basically non-existent.  This is part of the future of a potential elite coach.  It appears PNG has it right. Some laugh when I say there's no difference in the athletes at Ned and PNG. Then they say, well, how can you say there's no difference, look at them.  I said there is no difference in the athletes that "are available" to each team.  Now, how each coach develops what's available to them is the difference in what you see now between PNG and Nederland.  

1 hour ago, outanup said:

Lots of factors......Neumans 11,12,13 teams went big school. Faced Georgetown a couple times and Pearland Dawson. the 01 semifinal team lost to Smithson Valley in the Semis. They in turn lost to a Pretty salty SLC team in the SC game. Matchups mean alot. As we speak, there's no comparison in the coaching at the 2 schools. Joseph walked into a good roster, and turned it into a State Contender. Winning is contagious and everyone wants to be a part, therefore he's clearing the hallways and getting so many more to work with He's also developing these kids and doing a fantastic job. He also has the benefit of the small school route. Just my take.......

1st bold:  But, you have to admit for 12 years that previous coach couldn't do anything with those rosters.  

2nd bold:  You actually think that would mattered?  

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I’m still a huge Faircloth fan. He certainly put a lot of fun teams together. And we were a better-than-average team most of the time, and we had a few great teams under him. Not to mention sending several qbs to play college ball. 

Faircloth was a good coach.  He just didn't have the "it" factor to be an elite coach.  There's really nothing to be ashamed of, though, because at any one time there are only less than 10% championship-type coaches.  But like you said, offense is for the fans -- defense wins championships.  Always did and always will!  

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I was told by a friend on here that Nederland's coaching directed weight training program was basically non-existent.  This is part of the future of a potential elite coach.  It appears PNG has it right. Some laugh when I say there's no difference in the athletes at Ned and PNG. Then they say, well, how can you say there's no difference, look at them.  I said there is no difference in the athletes that "are available" to each team.  Now, how each coach develops what's available to them is the difference in what you see now between PNG and Nederland.  

100%. 

1 hour ago, pine curtain said:

yea but he could not beat NED.......

Mostly true.  But this years' group of PNG seniors never lost to Ned, from middle school through 12 grade, under both the Faircloth system, and then the Joseph system for the past two seasons.  *

* 2 or 3 of this seasons' Srs were on the 2021 varsity team that lost to Ned 

18 minutes ago, 1970 said:

Mostly true.  But this years' group of PNG seniors never lost to Ned, from middle school through 12 grade, under both the Faircloth system, and then the Joseph system for the past two seasons.  *

* 2 or 3 of this seasons' Srs were on the 2021 varsity team that lost to Ned 

In the past 10 years PN-g had several more talented teams than this years team.

Several of those years PN-g should killed NED with the talent they had.

Ole Uncle Larry worked his magic and out coached Faircloth

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

OK, opinion time:  During the above mentioned time frame, at Nederland, even Neuman couldn't bring a team to the big dance.  Why do you suppose that is?!  

Two of those years (1999, and 2000) we played the best team in the state and still to this day two of the best defenses I've seen in Texas City (1999) and Bay City 2000 both those teams were big physical fast and well coached...the 2001 team was not near as talented but played with a ton of heart and once again ran into a team that was more physical than us (Smithson Valley) looking back on it now our best shot at state was really the 1998 team but we fell apart in the 2nd half vs. Bay City that year...fact is Larry Neumann changed the mentality of Nederland when he came in 1993 that mentality has now reverted back to the Pre-Neumann era and I don't see things getting better anytime soon with the current system in place 

5 hours ago, Reagan said:

OK, opinion time:  During the above mentioned time frame, at Nederland, even Neuman couldn't bring a team to the big dance.  Why do you suppose that is?!  

Big school vs Small school route.....No way  11,12, 13, Nederland Teams would have fallen to Liberty Hill  had they drawn them in the semis.....Matchups....