Since 1975, PNG Has Made 5 Trips to the State Championship, Won 2 -- Nederland Has 0 Trips and Consequently 0 State Titles!

Reagan

5 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

And yet you’re here …

Here I am... what?!?!  Responding on a message board?!?... Yup... Here I am.  Just because I don't follow high school athletics like it's my job, doesn't mean I won't chime in when someone says something negative about Vidor athletics. 

5 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Here I am... what?!?!  Responding on a message board?!?... Yup,,, Here I am.  Just because I don't follow high school athletics like it's my job, doesn't mean I won't chime in when someone says something negative about Vidor athletics. 

Being on this site at all already shows more dedication than most fans. I’m not knocking it. Welcome, Dedicated High School Football Fan!

2 hours ago, Reagan said:

OK, makes sense.  But if Nederland went big school then that means they should be able to compete with the other big schools in that classification.  Right?  

When the divisions weren't separated 5AD1 and 5AD2, that was done relatively within the district after the 4 teams made the playoffs.  Nederland was always the big school, even though their enrollment was typically well below the small school enrollments of  most of the districts they played.  Example, Georgetown in 2012, they were on their way to a higher class and turned in like 2200 while Nederland had around 1600.  This happened every year in the Neumann era.  But these are just excuses.  My question for you, is do you think Neumann was an elite coach even though he never won a state championship?

9 minutes ago, Brubaker said:

When the divisions weren't separated 5AD1 and 5AD2, that was done relatively within the district after the 4 teams made the playoffs.  Nederland was always the big school, even though their enrollment was typically well below the small school enrollments of  most of the districts they played.  Example, Georgetown in 2012, they were on their way to a higher class and turned in like 2200 while Nederland had around 1600.  This happened every year in the Neumann era.  But these are just excuses.  My question for you, is do you think Neumann was an elite coach even though he never won a state championship?

My eyeball test, yes.  Larry Neumann and Delbert Spell were excellent high school football coaches at Nederland High School. Elite in my eyes...I saw them take average high school players, coach and motivate them to play above their abilities, and create some salty teams.  Just my 0.02 cents.

20 hours ago, Brubaker said:

Let me first remind that the Elite Status category is mine.  In everything I've done my standards are a little higher than most.  Everyone here may have what constitutes Elite Status.  I'm sure there are some here that think a coach with a losing record is some-how Elite.  Maybe because he's a nice guy?  But, again, that's their prerogative.  

So, the tenants in my Elite category are as follows:  Doug Ethridge, Tim Buchanan, Steve Suratt, Gordon Wood, Art Briles, Steve Wood, ETC.  Regarding Neuman, based on how bad Nederland was, and is, Neuman did an exceptional job -- per Nederland's standards!    But, did he achieve the same level of success that above mentioned coaches did?  Absolutely not.  Based on this backdrop, it drops him down to just a great coach.  But, on the other hand, did I think that Neuman had the ability to achieve this status.  Yes, I do think he did.  But the reason that he did not, my opinion, was that he had a blind spot that he wouldn't correct.  But, maybe he didn't think that needed correcting.  19 years and never made it to the big dance.  We can all make excuses why this never happened.  Maybe he just didn't have the "it" factor.  Or, maybe if he had just played lesser competition in the playoffs?!  Who knows?!  Well, I think I know.  But, again, my opinion!  

28 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Let me first remind that the Elite Status category is mine.  In everything I've done my standards are a little higher than most.  Everyone here may have what constitutes Elite Status.  I'm sure there are some here that think a coach with a losing record is some-how Elite.  Maybe because he's a nice guy?  But, again, that's their prerogative.  

So, the tenants in my Elite category are as follows:  Doug Ethridge, Tim Buchanan, Steve Suratt, Gordon Wood, Art Briles, Steve Wood, ETC.  Regarding Neuman, based on how bad Nederland was, and is, Neuman did an exceptional job -- per Nederland's standards!    But, did he achieve the same level of success that above mentioned coaches did?  Absolutely not.  Based on this backdrop, it drops him down to just a great coach.  But, on the other hand, did I think that Neuman had the ability to achieve this status.  Yes, I do think he did.  But the reason that he did not, my opinion, was that he had a blind spot that he wouldn't correct.  But, maybe he didn't think that needed correcting.  19 years and never made it to the big dance.  We can all make excuses why this never happened.  Maybe he just didn't have the "it" factor.  Or, maybe if he had just played lesser competition in the playoffs?!  Who knows?!  Well, I think I know.  But, again, my opinion!  

You left a little on the side of your face 

40 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Blind spot?   Do tell, I'm sure we would all love to know....

33 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

5 because he is a perfectionist. 

HA!  Again, MOST Championship coaches can do it in 4 years.  I know that seems strange because there isn't a lot of Championship coaches around at any one time.  But, if people don't care, it doesn't really matter.  

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

That’s out of more than 1,500 high schools in Texas. 

Let's go with this:  1,500 high schools with 49 active coaches that have won one.  That's 3.2%.  Well under the 10% I usually state.  But I also say it's under 10%.  But let me reiterate:  When I say Championship coaches I mean Elite coaches.  Those that have won at least 2.  

@WOSdrummer99

On 12/20/2023 at 1:40 PM, PN-G bamatex said:

I don't wholly disagree with this statement, but I will make two counterpoints.

First, the 2009 Indians could have won the state championship. Had it not been for a bad first half against Brenham played under the worst circumstances imaginable, I continue to believe today that PN-G would have played for the state championship that year, and would have had a very real shot at beating Aledo. Joe Dale Cary left after 2010, and the PN-G defense never recovered under Faircloth's leadership. That was the factor Faircloth was really missing, in my opinion.

Second, offense may be entertaining for the fans, but I believe a strong defense is a huge factor in fan engagement, at least in any way that impacts the game. Most fans know not to be too loud when their team is on offense to avoid disrupting the snap count, and to be very loud when their team is on defense specifically because they want to disrupt the snap count or force other mistakes. Fans with confidence in a good defense are more likely to participate in that way, which in turn helps make the defense more successful, in turn boosting fan confidence in the defense. In short, they feed off of each other. For the Indians, the proof was in the pudding this year. The Indian Faithful were louder and more involved in the game this year than I can remember them being at any point post-2009.

It was Coach Kroeker Not Joe Dale Cary.