Since 1975, PNG Has Made 5 Trips to the State Championship, Won 2 -- Nederland Has 0 Trips and Consequently 0 State Titles!

Reagan

6 hours ago, outanup said:

Big school vs Small school route.....No way  11,12, 13, Nederland Teams would have fallen to Liberty Hill  had they drawn them in the semis.....Matchups....

Ok, I know this is your opinion but I have a question:  Big school, small school?  Since they were playing each other, doesn't this mean that the schools enrollments are basically the same?  Seems like to me the UIL put them in a comparable classification.

1 minute ago, Reagan said:

Ok, I know this is your opinion but I have a question:  Big school, small school?  Since they were playing each other, doesn't this mean that the schools enrollments are basically the same?  Seems like to me the UIL put them in a comparable classification.

Back then, top 4 teams went to playoffs....Largest two enrollments went big, other 2 small...if that answers your question? 

1 minute ago, outanup said:

Back then, top 4 teams went to playoffs....Largest two enrollments went big, other 2 small...if that answers your question? 

OK, makes sense.  But if Nederland went big school then that means they should be able to compete with the other big schools in that classification.  Right?  

Cant remember the exact numbers but, no matter your enrollment. If your district had teams with small enrollments the top 2 went regardless...We have similar numbers now and fall in the small school category. Summer Creek , Pearland Dawson, Georgetown , SV, Manvel were big school back then....Several more i cant think of off the top of my head. way different competition....imo

10 minutes ago, outanup said:

Cant remember the exact numbers but, no matter your enrollment. If your district had teams with small enrollments the top 2 went regardless...We have similar numbers now and fall in the small school category. Summer Creek , Pearland Dawson, Georgetown , SV, Manvel were big school back then....Several more i cant think of off the top of my head. way different competition....imo

It was unfair - Everything depended on what district you came from. You could have a couple 1450 student schools playing 2,000 student schools just because a couple teams with 1449 made the playoffs in their district. 

14 hours ago, Reagan said:

Faircloth was a good coach.  He just didn't have the "it" factor to be an elite coach.  There's really nothing to be ashamed of, though, because at any one time there are only less than 10% championship-type coaches.  But like you said, offense is for the fans -- defense wins championships.  Always did and always will!  

I don't wholly disagree with this statement, but I will make two counterpoints.

First, the 2009 Indians could have won the state championship. Had it not been for a bad first half against Brenham played under the worst circumstances imaginable, I continue to believe today that PN-G would have played for the state championship that year, and would have had a very real shot at beating Aledo. Joe Dale Cary left after 2010, and the PN-G defense never recovered under Faircloth's leadership. That was the factor Faircloth was really missing, in my opinion.

Second, offense may be entertaining for the fans, but I believe a strong defense is a huge factor in fan engagement, at least in any way that impacts the game. Most fans know not to be too loud when their team is on offense to avoid disrupting the snap count, and to be very loud when their team is on defense specifically because they want to disrupt the snap count or force other mistakes. Fans with confidence in a good defense are more likely to participate in that way, which in turn helps make the defense more successful, in turn boosting fan confidence in the defense. In short, they feed off of each other. For the Indians, the proof was in the pudding this year. The Indian Faithful were louder and more involved in the game this year than I can remember them being at any point post-2009.

27 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

I don't wholly disagree with this statement, but I will make two counterpoints.

First, the 2009 Indians could have won the state championship. Had it not been for a bad first half against Brenham played under the worst circumstances imaginable, I continue to believe today that PN-G would have played for the state championship that year, and would have had a very real shot at beating Aledo. Joe Dale Cary left after 2010, and the PN-G defense never recovered under Faircloth's leadership. That was the factor Faircloth was really missing, in my opinion.

Second, offense may be entertaining for the fans, but I believe a strong defense is a huge factor in fan engagement, at least in any way that impacts the game. Most fans know not to be too loud when their team is on offense to avoid disrupting the snap count, and to be very loud when their team is on defense specifically because they want to disrupt the snap count or force other mistakes. Fans with confidence in a good defense are more likely to participate in that way, which in turn helps make the defense more successful, in turn boosting fan confidence in the defense. In short, they feed off of each other. For the Indians, the proof was in the pudding this year. The Indian Faithful were louder and more involved in the game this year than I can remember them being at any point post-2009.

I agree we had a real shot at state in 2009. That’s a game I’d love back. Just curious : what were those “worst circumstances?”

correct and Vicor had a solid squad that year (went 3 rounds deep themselves, I believe) and Nederland handled them at Vidor...it was a different time and Nederland 2012 team did have to go big school because they were the 2nd largest school in the district to actually make the playoffs....Georgetown, which knocked Nederland out that year, had about a 700 student enrollment advantage over Nederland plus the added edge of GISD adding a 2nd HS that year but allowing seniors to stay with Georgetown if they chose to...they rolled out 70-80 kids for that game, whereas Nederland had about 35 healthy players by that time...the 2 teams who competed for the D2 title that year both had larger enrollments than Nederland and IMO, where beatable for the Dogs...that year along with 2000, were Nederland's best opportunities since 1975 to bring it home...it was just a different format and it is what it is...2012 was a fun season for the Dogs anyway...that squad was strong and had very few weak spots

The 2000 team was really good as well...they lost to eventual champ Bay City 6-0 and finished the game with the ball at the 1...BC had barely over 100 yards of offense in the game as Nederland's D was super stout as well...The Dogs missed scoring opportunities in the first half and ultimately BC won and went on the steamroll their next 2 opponents on the way to a state title...that team could easily have been state champs, but it wasn't to be

The 2001 team got hot at the right time and made a surprising run to the semis as well, before being outgunned by Smithson Valley, but that was a fun playoff run because it was so unexpected

7 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

2012 Vidor had over 500yds against PNG

You’re correct. That was by far the worst team PNG has had in probably more than 20 years, paired with the best player Vidor has ever had. Everyone but Silsbee and Lumberton had their way with us in 2012.  I don’t think it had anything to do with the choice of offense.

1 minute ago, Rez Ipsa said:

You’re correct. That was by far the worst team PNG has had in probably more than 20 years, paired with the best player Vidor has ever had. Everyone but Silsbee and Lumberton had their way with us in 2012.  I don’t think it had anything to do with the choice of offense.

Whatever helps you sleep at night..... and don't be so quick to say that Montana was the "best" football player Vidor ever had. 

8 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Yeah Peveto should have been QB that whole year

15 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night..... and don't be so quick to say that Montana was the "best" football player Vidor ever had. 

I think it’s more about you comforting yourself that the slot t, which has had almost no success for Vidor against good teams, is some kind of super special magic trick because ya’ll won a game 11 years ago. Vidor has beaten png a total of 11 times in 80 years, despite having nearly as many chances. Believe me, I don’t need any help sleeping at night in relation to Vidor.

and, seriously, who was better than Montana?  

2 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I think it’s more about you comforting yourself that the slot t, which has had almost no success for Vidor against good teams, is some kind of super special magic trick because ya’ll won a game 11 years ago. Vidor has beaten png a total of 11 times in 80 years, despite having nearly as many chances. Believe me, I don’t need any help sleeping at night in relation to Vidor.

and, seriously, who was better than Montana?  

I don't get my rocks off on high school football past or present, so there's not comforting needed...and who beats who 1 time, 11 times, 1,000 times has NO bearing on my life... but you keep living your life vicariously through a bunch of teenage boys. 

FYI... I had to google when Montana played, record, and stats.  I don't keep that in the memory bank,

2 minutes ago, Right99JOH said:

I don't get my rocks off on high school football past or present, so there's not comforting needed...and who beats who 1 time, 11 times, 1,000 times has NO bearing on my life... but you keep living your life vicariously through a bunch of teenage boys. 

FYI... I had to google when Montana played, record, and stats.  I don't keep that in the memory bank,

And yet you’re here …