Png indians !! 2023 5a D2 state champions !!

lcm93

The future looks bright at PNG, but I tell you we’re going to feel the loss of Nyugen and Shea Adams - Few RBs in PNG history have had the vision, timing, and balance of Nyugen. And there might may not have ever been a do-it-all player as clutch across so many games as Adams in PNG history. These two took us to two state championships and one trophy, and they did it by repeatedly showing up in huge moments when inches mattered. There’s a lot more we’ll miss - #28 (I forget his name, but he’s been huge on offense and defense) is one. 

Next man up. 2024 is going to be huge for PNG. But, we’ll definitely miss those guys. 

We were talking about the PNG coach possibly moving on after the State win.  And someone asked what did Ethridge do?  That was answered.  But what wasn't stated, and I'm playing on memory, is that during Ethridge's run, they were in the big dog classification.  I think 4A was all it went to at that time.  Couldn't get any bigger than PNG vs Odessa Permian.  Now, I do recall that during this time Ethridge could have got the Lamar job.  Obviously he turned it down.  Not sure if any other college offers came his way.  So, obviously there is a bit of a difference between then and now.  Joseph has the "opportunity" to move up that Ethridge did not have.  But like I've said, Buchanan and Surratt stayed put.  And as I was reminded, Hooks and Thompson also.  So, hopefully for the Indian faithful he stays awhile!  

15 minutes ago, Reagan said:

We were talking about the PNG coach possibly moving on after the State win.  And someone asked what did Ethridge do?  That was answered.  But what wasn't stated, and I'm playing on memory, is that during Ethridge's run, they were in the big dog classification.  I think 4A was all it went to at that time.  Couldn't get any bigger than PNG vs Odessa Permian.  Now, I do recall that during this time Ethridge could have got the Lamar job.  Obviously he turned it down.  Not sure if any other college offers came his way.  So, obviously there is a bit of a difference between then and now.  Joseph has the "opportunity" to move up that Ethridge did not have.  But like I've said, Buchanan and Surratt stayed put.  And as I was reminded, Hooks and Thompson also.  So, hopefully for the Indian faithful he stays awhile!  

Hopefully, for Nederland too. I think the longer PNG has Joseph the greater the likelihood Nederland gets their ducks in a row and finds  a coach to match him. 

6 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Hopefully, for Nederland too. I think the longer PNG has Joseph the greater the likelihood Nederland gets their ducks in a row and finds  a coach to match him. 

It would seem to me after PNG's State Title that pressure would mount on the Super and school board at Nederland to do something.  We shall see!

8 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

The future looks bright at PNG, but I tell you we’re going to feel the loss of Nyugen and Shea Adams - Few RBs in PNG history have had the vision, timing, and balance of Nyugen. And there might may not have ever been a do-it-all player as clutch across so many games as Adams in PNG history. These two took us to two state championships and one trophy, and they did it by repeatedly showing up in huge moments when inches mattered. There’s a lot more we’ll miss - #28 (I forget his name, but he’s been huge on offense and defense) is one. 

Next man up. 2024 is going to be huge for PNG. But, we’ll definitely miss those guys. 

The soph QB really stepped up, and the big Offensive line did too. The receiver-back up QB - punter #11 is a jr, and will play a big part again next season. #15 rb will also. On defense there will be lots of big roles to fill. But db #10, and LBs 4 and 43 are juniors. I'm not sure how many D linemen with starting or regular roles are returning. 

Anyway, it's been fun watching this year's team, and it's been fun watching the seniors play for the past 6 years. Or 5 years? They were undefeated 2 years in middle school, and "won district" as a jv team, then went to state their 2 years on varsity. (This is speaking by-and-large, since a few of the SRS played on varsity as sophomores.) 

18 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Not really a suburb , but definitely in the “area.” Aledo’s weird. Kind of like Sulphur Springs or the Tyler area. I’m betting if you’re in Aledo (I’ve never been) it doesn’t feel like you’re in the Dallas area, and it’s not super convenient to get to Dallas. Similar to living in Winnie - is Winnie a Houston suburb? I wouldn’t say it is. What is it - 1.5 hours from Aledo to Dallas, depending on traffic? Same as Golden triangle to Houston. I don’t know what region I’d put Aledo in, though. They’re closest to the DFW region. 

If winnie would win state championship, we or I would claim them as our area team. 

7 hours ago, 1970 said:

The soph QB really stepped up, and the big Offensive line did too. The receiver-back up QB - punter #11 is a jr, and will play a big part again next season. #15 rb will also. On defense there will be lots of big roles to fill. But db #10, and LBs 4 and 43 are juniors. I'm not sure how many D linemen with starting or regular roles are returning. 

DLinemen #94 Hernandez and #49 Fuentes return. And adding #99 soph this year Barnwell to the mix. 

I look for this team to actually be better next season.  I’m excited to see the Davis Freeman kid play LB next season.  He was the one with the cast on his arm who always seemed to thump someone on special teams. That’s one thing this team lacked was that “thumper” in the middle similar to Nick Gardiner the year prior.  

2 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

Going to be a bit different being defending state champs. Going to get everyones best shot. 

We did this year. All I heard all year was we made it to state last year. I will  yield to you as a many time over state winner that maybe even more so. This team is going to be loaded and as good as this SC team. Now is that good enough is the question. That whole O line is back less 1 player Both Jackson Christian and Aaron Woolford ( both holding power 5 offer's) The 10th grade QB is back (1644 yards 19 TDs and 2 pics)  2 more years, top receiver is back. Losing Nguyen is gonna hurt but the two others that are playing along side Blair (1206 yards 17 TDs) are really good backs. District Defensive  MVP Hernandez (57 tkl 4.5 sack) is back at NT, Fuentes (43 tkl 4.5 sacks) is back at DE. #4 Wuenschel  (84tkl, 4 sacks, 4 ints ) back at LB along with many others. 

9 hours ago, FearTheSpear said:

I look for this team to actually be better next season.  I’m excited to see the Davis Freeman kid play LB next season.  He was the one with the cast on his arm who always seemed to thump someone on special teams. That’s one thing this team lacked was that “thumper” in the middle similar to Nick Gardiner the year prior.  

Man, Nick Gardiner was so good.