*ORANGEFIELD TOURNAMENT*/ Orangefield wins!!!

On 12/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Tyerman said:

Thank you very much to the Orangefield coaches, staff and community for a great tournament. Onalaska got exactly what we needed out of it by playing real competition in one of the best areas in the state for basketball. Great preparation for district play next week for our program. 

Coach, you are a class act and have a real good group of young men! They believe in you because you believe in them and it shows. Your program is definitely on the rise! Good luck to you guys this season! 

18 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I’ve said for years Whitmire was one of the most underrated coaches in SETX and won a LOT of games with less.  Bobcats lose one of their most loaded senior classes I can remember and stand at 13-1 going into district.  

Whitmire is a great coach and we are very glad to have him and his family who by the way are all at every game. Maybe he has done more with less in the past, but he has real talent here in Orangefield right now and there is more on the way coming from the JH groups. Our big 4 (Scales, Wrinkle, Smith, & Thomas) are shooting the ball 38.8% on the season as a team from three and are over. 50% from two, which is a testament to their level of talent as players. Scales is being face-guarded and the others are making the opposition pay for their gamble by knocking down open looks and capitalizing on their own mismatches. That should always be the plan, but can only be done when you have the talent to do so.

Bobcat basketball has for sure been battle tested in these last two tournaments this weekend and last, and Whitmire's knowledge for the game and motivational skills have no doubt been on display! Even though they are back to back Tournament Champions and (Big Sandy, & Bill Tennison), and have beaten several good teams, their most impressive victory probably comes in their overcoming a 10 point deficit with about 1:20 left on the clock in the fourth vs. Lamarque in the Semi this past weekend. That takes both excellent coaching strategy and talented execution.

I hope to see you at some games this year. I'm biased, but they are a real fun group to watch and I know you don't mind stating the truth in what you see.

I'll say this, I am impressed with this Orangefield team. They are much better than I thought they would be this year. But in regards to the LaMarque game, the decision making on the offensive end by LM had just as much to do with OF's comeback as to the Bobcats part. LM had 3 "unforced" turnovers in that last 1:30.

Credit to OF for knocking down a couple of clutch three's and switching defense. That I can agree played a big part.

Also, I was at the score table next to LM bench. I could hear the instructions coming from their bench and what was said in the timeouts. Let's just say the coaching wasn't the issue with their collapse.

Congrats to Orangefield on another tourney title. Very well earned.

I will be making a point to attend the games with Kountze. Should be some good ones.

7 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'll say this, I am impressed with this Orangefield team. They are much better than I thought they would be this year. But in regards to the LaMarque game, the decision making on the offensive end by LM had just as much to do with OF's comeback as to the Bobcats part. LM had 3 "unforced" turnovers in that last 1:30.

Credit to OF for knocking down a couple of clutch three's and switching defense. That I can agree played a big part.

Also, I was at the score table next to LM bench. I could hear the instructions coming from their bench and what was said in the timeouts. Let's just say the coaching wasn't the issue with their collapse.

Congrats to Orangefield on another tourney title. Very well earned.

I will be making a point to attend the games with Kountze. Should be some good ones.

We appreciate the kind words about our team this year. In regards to the Lamarque Game, the pressure of the game and big moments exposes weaknesses and forces mistakes. That same pressure, also creates opportunity for those that are ready for it. Great win and we are super proud of our boys! Thank you for reporting the scores.

I agree, Kountze games should be good if their "move - ins" stay eligible. I have personally been contacted by two coaches in our district asking me to type a letter and file a formal complaint, since the letter cannot be anonymous and I assume they don't want their names attached, but I wont be attaching my name to anything like that either since; Sells, Donald, Smart & Coffey are all my former Texas A.T.T.A.C.K. Squad players. With that being said, I don't have to agree with decisions that are made for me to always care about my players and want what is best for them.  There is just a lot of talk going on about a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and their newfound success.  I am not sure one of the on the cusp playoff teams would be willing to miss the playoffs due to a situation like this.

I have faith in our young men and coaches. The wins will be that much more knowing we are doing it the right way!

23 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

We appreciate the kind words about our team this year. In regards to the Lamarque Game, the pressure of the game and big moments exposes weaknesses and forces mistakes. That same pressure, also creates opportunity for those that are ready for it. Great win and we are super proud of our boys! Thank you for reporting the scores.

I agree, Kountze games should be good if their "move - ins" stay eligible. I have personally been contacted by two coaches in our district asking me to type a letter and file a formal complaint, since the letter cannot be anonymous and I assume they don't want their names attached, but I wont be attaching my name to anything like that either since; Sells, Donald, Smart & Coffey are all my former Texas A.T.T.A.C.K. Squad players. With that being said, I don't have to agree with decisions that are made for me to always care about my players and want what is best for them.  There is just a lot of talk going on about a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and their newfound success.  I am not sure one of the on the cusp playoff teams would be willing to miss the playoffs due to a situation like this.

I have faith in our young men and coaches. The wins will be that much more knowing we are doing it the right way!

This is absolute garbage of the two coaches in the district (not you). How soft are we these days? Take the only kid in question out the equation and Kountze is still 15 points better than their district. Cry baby head coaches kill me with that. 

30 minutes ago, Unbelievableee said:

This is absolute garbage of the two coaches in the district (not you). How soft are we these days? Take the only kid in question out the equation and Kountze is still 15 points better than their district. Cry baby head coaches kill me with that. 

I also wanna add that absolutely nothing is gonna happen regarding to the so called “Complaints”

On 12/11/2023 at 9:35 AM, Cu Chulainn said:

There is just a lot of talk going on about a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and their newfound success.  I am not sure one of the on the cusp playoff teams would be willing to miss the playoffs due to a situation like this.

You sound scared, "coach." It's very "Orangefield" of you to beat your chest celebrating wins over a bunch of freshman and sophomores in Kountze over the past two years. You're talking as if Kountze is a program that's historically bad and all of a sudden has success. It's no secret this group was going to have success later in their high school career. You're now seeing that, and I know it hurts, but just be happy with your 2nd or 3rd place finish for a few seasons. From what I know, we're about to go on another run again and get back to the Kountze of old. 

History and tradition are ingrained in the Kountze basketball program. Something you know nothing about in Orangefield.

35 minutes ago, KHSAlum400 said:

You sound scared, "coach." It's very "Orangefield" of you to beat your chest celebrating wins over a bunch of freshman and sophomores in Kountze over the past two years. You're talking as if Kountze is a program that's historically bad and all of a sudden has success. It's no secret this group was going to have success later in their high school career. You're now seeing that, and I know it hurts, but just be happy with your 2nd or 3rd place finish for a few seasons. From what I know, we're about to go on another run again and get back to the Kountze of old. 

History and tradition are ingrained in the Kountze basketball program. Something you know nothing about in Orangefield.

Didn't yall have the MVP of the District and Newcomer Of The Year when we came into yalls house and beat the breaks off of yall last year? Ragusa had 41 & Ghost had 16 as a freshmen on 7 shots.

Kountze has always been known for basketball and that is awesome, but just so you know none of me or my sons Orangefield Teams have ever lost to Kountze, EVER!  I am super proud of yalls basketball history, but we have kids that have been working hard since they were small as well. I cannot speak for what Orangefield was known for in the past, I can only say that our kids have the right to make history too! They went to the 3rd Round last year and we want to continue the success. We are a real good team as are yall, and we both have more talent coming. Im sure our entire district will be tough, it is what 409 basketball is. 

Ghost has been a home grown killer since he was young, his record should speak for itself. He has never lost to yall and is even 3/1 lifetime vs. Silsbee which 3/4 those were epic battles! Nothing but respect for Silsbee, Kountze, EC, Buna, etc.... for that matter. Putting quality teams on the floor year after year speaks to the culture of what you have built. 

Basketball is a team game and has to be played together, so it won't come down to 1 or 2 star players for anybody. It will come down to how they all pull together and support each other on any team! Maybe we do finish 2nd or 3rd in district every year, but maybe we wont! Thats what makes it a sport and fun to watch! I can guarantee our boys will always give all they got! This group is real special and we'll be proud of them no matter what!

2 hours ago, Unbelievableee said:

I think we all open district tonight, the caliber of every team should start showing through real soon. I dont think they would have ever talked with me about it, if they themselves were going to say something. It isnt anonymous and folks wouldn't wan their name attached. 

We were told that Hitchcock had 4 ineligible players when they beat us in the third round and went on to win State by 30 last year, even had videos and documentation sent by folks outside of the District, but no one ever ran with that.

I'd bet Kountze wont have any trouble.

3 hours ago, Unbelievableee said:

Glass houses 😄

On 12/11/2023 at 8:18 AM, Cu Chulainn said:

Whitmire is a great coach and we are very glad to have him and his family who by the way are all at every game. Maybe he has done more with less in the past, but he has real talent here in Orangefield right now and there is more on the way coming from the JH groups. Our big 4 (Scales, Wrinkle, Smith, & Thomas) are shooting the ball 38.8% on the season as a team from three and are over. 50% from two, which is a testament to their level of talent as players. Scales is being face-guarded and the others are making the opposition pay for their gamble by knocking down open looks and capitalizing on their own mismatches. That should always be the plan, but can only be done when you have the talent to do so.

Bobcat basketball has for sure been battle tested in these last two tournaments this weekend and last, and Whitmire's knowledge for the game and motivational skills have no doubt been on display! Even though they are back to back Tournament Champions and (Big Sandy, & Bill Tennison), and have beaten several good teams, their most impressive victory probably comes in their overcoming a 10 point deficit with about 1:20 left on the clock in the fourth vs. Lamarque in the Semi this past weekend. That takes both excellent coaching strategy and talented execution.

I hope to see you at some games this year. I'm biased, but they are a real fun group to watch and I know you don't mind stating the truth in what you see.

My post wasn't meant as a sleight on any of the current players.  I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far.  But I do think Whitmire coaching is a very big advantage for them (and sounds like you agree). I've just seen him win a ton of games over the years when he had the worst of it, talent-wise.  Including a few against the Bobcats, unfortunately.  

25 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

My post wasn't meant as a sleight on any of the current players.  I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far.  But I do think Whitmire coaching is a very big advantage for them (and sounds like you agree). I've just seen him win a ton of games over the years when he had the worst of it, talent-wise.  Including a few against the Bobcats, unfortunately.  

I didn't take it that way at all, but I do appreciate you saying so. I just try to clear things up when I see them before folks on these blogs run with it. Yes, I agree Coach Whitmire is great and understands how to Coach to his players strengths. It has been a for sure a blessing  to go from a great guy like McDonald to another great one in Whitmire. Whitmire is continuing the focus on helping to make great young men out of them as well as great athletes. Super good dude with a great family!