2024 WOS Mustangs

WOSdrummer99

On 12/16/2023 at 7:45 AM, Mustang1980 said:

We are now experiencing what it is like to hire a head coach with no head coaching experience. First thing he does is change offense and defense. Lack of success and lack of discipline have kids leaving the program. We have the same kids as Gilmer. Difference is in coaching. There was a time when kids wanted to wear that Mustang helmet from the time they were babies. They dreamed of that day when they could put on the blue and silver and run out on the field. Mustangs had swagger and it all started with quality coaching and high expectations and discipline. By the way, kids gravitate toward discipline instinctively. They instinctively gravitate toward accountability. These are good things that lead to success. You are getting what you are going to get out of HH. This is it. It’s time to hold RH and HH accountable for their records. Look at what is happening over at PNG. Oh that’s right… they went out and searched the state and opened up their wallet for Jeff Joseph and look at the results. WOS should be running deep into the playoffs every year and be in the running to make it to state. Right now we are a fourth place team at best limping into the playoffs with zero confidence and zero quality coaching.  Our community and kids deserve better.  RH and HH should be fired. By the way, RH’s record in improving academic scores is abysmal . A real superintendent committed to academics and athletics is needed. In addition a real extensive and exhaustive search for a quality HC AD REGARDLESS OF COLOR is needed immediately. We cannot be okay with average whether it’s academic or athletic. Say what you want, a successful winning WOS football program charges our community and brings us all together. We cannot sit by and let 43 years of Mustang  tradition die without speaking up.

This! 

27 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Thats because everyone knew who they were hiring. Per a local coach. 

Everyone knew who was getting hired at BC too. Yet they had 3 or 4 times the applicants. It shows the toxicity of our superintendent and the nature of his hiring techniques. One can only hope that the teachers are hired for their qualifications and not other superficial reasons. The test scores and ratings from the state have been in decline since his tenure began. The only thing staying above water was CT's program. Now look where that is.

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Everyone knew who was getting hired at BC too. Yet they had 3 or 4 times the applicants. It shows the toxicity of our superintendent and the nature of his hiring techniques. One can only hope that the teachers are hired for their qualifications and not other superficial reasons. The test scores and ratings from the state have been in decline since his tenure began. The only thing staying above water was CT's program. Now look where that is.

Not sure about the hiring of teachers based on their qualifications. Yes one would hope so but I  Have it on good authority one was hired just because they were friends and went to church together. 

11 hours ago, marshman said:

Not sure about the hiring of teachers based on their qualifications. Yes one would hope so but I  Have it on good authority one was hired just because they were friends and went to church together. 

I have several friends who are teachers there and the leadership he brought over with him and who hes hired have been AWFUL to their employees! 

2 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

I have several friends who are teachers there and the leadership he brought over with him and who hes hired have been AWFUL to their employees! 

I'm actually not worried about how the teachers are treated. They have a choice to leave anytime. But if it rolls downhill like most stuff does, then the kids are hurting from this too. That's my only concern.

2 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I'm actually not worried about how the teachers are treated. They have a choice to leave anytime. But if it rolls downhill like most stuff does, then the kids are hurting from this too. That's my only concern.

That's the issue, they are leaving and they are DANG good teachers - They're even taking pay cuts to get away from a certian principal. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 6:50 PM, ladybug33 said:

Any news on the Mustangs' stadium being fixed from the fire last summer?

The priority is to get the Event Center up and running. Expected completion on that is Jan 29th, just in time for the last few basketball games. Press Box is awaiting materials to fix and all i know is it is expected ready before Football starts next August. 

So WOS loses to 5a state champs PNG by 6, 3a Power house Newton by 4, #2 state ranked Silsbee by 14, #7 ranked HF by 7, 4th round team Jasper by 3 and we are saying that HH is not a good coach? I think wos fans are a little delusional. Someone said wos has the same athletes as Gilmer? WOS did NOT have the caliber player that Gilmer had. Overall, WOS is very athletic, but they were not as talented as the teams from the years past. Give HH a chance. Next year should be a very good season for the Mustangs. 

55 minutes ago, Unbelievableee said:

So WOS loses to 5a state champs PNG by 6, 3a Power house Newton by 4, #2 state ranked Silsbee by 14, #7 ranked HF by 7, 4th round team Jasper by 3 and we are saying that HH is not a good coach?

A better coach would've found a way to win one of those games and improved on his record from year 1. PNG shouldn't have had the chance to tie it with a last sec FG. All season long... wasted timeouts, failure to call a play, over thinking going for 1 or 2. When u have a 17 pt lead in the 4th, run the ball and the clock goes with it. Or u could allow a team 2nd chances to come back and win on the final drive.

I've hoped that he could learn from mistakes. But I've seen no reason to believe it will happen. 

No coaching jobs are currently posted on the district website. Although, I'm wondering if Math teachers normally receive $3000-7000 stipend ???

7 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

A better coach would've found a way to win one of those games and improved on his record from year 1. PNG shouldn't have had the chance to tie it with a last sec FG. All season long... wasted timeouts, failure to call a play, over thinking going for 1 or 2. When u have a 17 pt lead in the 4th, run the ball and the clock goes with it. Or u could allow a team 2nd chances to come back and win on the final drive.

I've hoped that he could learn from mistakes. But I've seen no reason to believe it will happen. 

No coaching jobs are currently posted on the district website. Although, I'm wondering if Math teachers normally receive $3000-7000 stipend ???

A lot of districts offer math stipends/sign on bonus

3 hours ago, Unbelievableee said:

A lot of districts offer math stipends/sign on bonus

Good to know. That's the only ones with stipends though. We currently have 55 openings in the district. Some have been posted since 2021, with one new job opening as of today. Even have an opening for an assistant principal at the HS. That's surprising because we have $5mil in the bank. Come get some. They're basically giving it away to anyone with a certificate.

4 hours ago, Unbelievableee said:

So WOS loses to 5a state champs PNG by 6, 3a Power house Newton by 4, #2 state ranked Silsbee by 14, #7 ranked HF by 7, 4th round team Jasper by 3 and we are saying that HH is not a good coach? I think wos fans are a little delusional. Someone said wos has the same athletes as Gilmer? WOS did NOT have the caliber player that Gilmer had. Overall, WOS is very athletic, but they were not as talented as the teams from the years past. Give HH a chance. Next year should be a very good season for the Mustangs. 

PNG game was mismanaged and should have been a W,Gave up 58….58 points to Newton at home,Silsbee didn’t appear to the naked eye to be #2,as far as the Gilmer comment sure we didn’t have the caliber players of them but a good coach should make them that Caliber.The kids I seen this year are the same type of players I see every year as far as athletic,they were just not coached properly(undisciplined,out of position,etc)

9 hours ago, BLUE_LEFT_LEFT_ONE_ELEVEN said:

The priority is to get the Event Center up and running. Expected completion on that is Jan 29th, just in time for the last few basketball games. Press Box is awaiting materials to fix and all i know is it is expected ready before Football starts next August. 

That's good to know thanks.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:58 AM, Unbelievableee said:

All points well taken; however, I would’ve expected at least one win of those listed. Chalk it up to a 2nd year head coach. If I was asked my criticism, it would be the the OC & DC should’ve been better picked, especially since the HC was new. I think the program can be turned around. Will the powers that be allow it? I think yes. Will the community as a whole allow for a learning curve? Not so far. Yep…losing to the 5 A state champs by 6, even though clearly WOS could have won that game, is just one of several instances of proof that all is not lost. I hope this year does not disappoint. 

10 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

All points well taken; however, I would’ve expected at least one win of those listed. Chalk it up to a 2nd year head coach. If I was asked my criticism, it would be the the OC & DC should’ve been better picked, especially since the HC was new. I think the program can be turned around. Will the powers that be allow it? I think yes. Will the community as a whole allow for a learning curve? Not so far. Yep…losing to the 5 A state champs by 6, even though clearly WOS could have won that game, is just one of several instances of proof that all is not lost. I hope this year does not disappoint. 

Agree with you especially about the coordinators being picked differently,didn’t know much about the DC but the OC I did know about and really scratched my head because no way he could help the HC much being he was in a new spot too…Had we found the best coordinators possible to help jumpstart HH we might be in a different spot! 🤷