Best RB

Guest GoStangs

Who is the best RB of all time from SETX?  

1. 1. Who is the best RB of all time from SETX?

Guest GoStangs

LOL... There are so many great players from this area, it's hard to narrow them down to a handful -- if I put all of them on here (Beaux Daville, OF; Elijah Burkins, TJ; Shanderrick Charles, Lincoln; Jay Maguire, Silsbee; Hadnot, K'ville; Dexter Hebert, Kelly, etc.), the list would be about a mile long. :lol:

Either way, it's something fun to discuss, and if someone wants to name other people or how they think these RBs rank in comparison to each other, that's the name of the game. :)

Guest GoStangs

LOL... I hope I didn't lose my Mustang fan card for leaving him out! :lol:

Just to clarify, when I put up a poll for best RB of all time, I was really thinking about players who came from the Orange, Jefferson, Newton, Hardin,and Jasper County areas and their HS careers only. For example, Ernest Anderson didn't put up the numbers the others did in HS; however, he was certainly one of the best college backs this area has ever produced.

When Worster was a senior for BC, he was the MOST HIGHLY RECRUITED player coming out of high school that year. Over 80 colleges were seeking his signature. Imagine that today with all the media. It would be mind boggling to watch play out in the media on a local level. I was 6 yrs old and living right behind the visitor side in Bridge City. I have very faint memories, but some. Every little kid there loved the number 30. When you compare running backs from different eras, you have to keep it in perspective because talent is getting better. Within that perspective, I would say Worster is still the best ever from our area. I have vivid memories of watching Little Joe play his senior year. He was just incredible in open field. For those of you who got the opportunity to watch Beasley play, you all know how incredible Deon is in open field. Magnify that a TON, and you can then imagine watching Li'l Joe. I remember when Bo Schembechler came to Austin to inquire about Coach Royal's offense, Coach Royal told Bo that what he really wanted to see was "my fullback and he's spoken for for 3 more years". When the 1970 Texas Football Magazine came out, and when I saw Worster on the cover, I was about to turn 10 and I was in awe of our hometown hero. Yea, Worster was the most decorated back ever from our area - as a high schooler.

Guest GoStangs

Bubba Bean was definitely a strong back in HS -- maybe the best ever to come out of K'ville. As for Brian Cleveland, I thought he was a tremendous athlete, and I enjoyed getting to watch him play for WOS from his tenth grade year through his senior year (I was a year below him). He put up some great all-purpose numbers, but as a RB, his stats were not quite as impressive as the RBs on the list. Getting to see him in action, though, was always a treat -- he, alone, could change the dynamics of any game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder