More important? Larrys and Joes or Coaching

AHUDDLESTON

It is definitely a combination of quality coaching and having good athletes in most cases

I have seen some teams do well year in and year out with average talent. Examples East Chambers and Orangefield  Both schools have very good coaching

I have also seen teams do very well with Larry’s and Joe’s, who overcome weak coaching. Examples PAM and FBM

I also have seen teams do well with good coaching and good players who are smart and make few mistakes Examples Alamo Heights, Alexis, SLC, Austin Westlake

I have also seen teams with supposedly very good talent, be extremely poor so to bad coaching and players that are not very intelligent Example Dallas Cowboys 

In conclusion you need good coaching, good players, and an excellent system to be successful 

15 hours ago, Concerned Citizen said:

I say L & Js! Why is NS, Katy and Atascocita so consistent with their programs. What I have determined is their development at the youth ages. NS is still rolling this year with a new HC. Yes, the HC has been in the program as the OC but there is a new OC this year.

The new coach at NS may be playing off the residual of the previous coach.  To early to tell what type of HC he’ll be.  We’ll see in his third year.  
Katy:  the reason, because they have a Championship-type coach.  He’s proven it.       Atascocita:  he’s proven he’s not a Championship-type coach.  Good coach but…

In my opinion, at any one time there is only about 10% of the teams that have championship-type coaches.  

BTW, does anyone think there’s that much difference in the talent between Ned and PNG?  Or is the difference, we’ll…

On 10/22/2023 at 10:43 PM, TradenupBH said:

I watched a couple years back like 4th or 5th round Timpson play. Lower level school, they a kid that was unbelievable. That’s all they needed was that one kid. Lower level just needs a few dudes, gets more complicated the higher you go

Timpson never did much of anything until Therwanger got there

On 10/25/2023 at 10:12 AM, SmashMouth said:

Give PNG some less talented athletes, and let's see how they do. It's a combination.

As opposed to what? There are some on here which I will not name that said even in the last year that PNG would NEVER make it to state again. Why you ask? Because of demographics, geography, and they do not have talented enough kids. Now I am no saying I agree with them but it has been said many times on here. 

Football comes in waves. The new exception is the open enrollment, and the so called magnet schools. In schools like PNG we have good times and bad times. So will every school. No one is ever gonna be good forever. We are lucky to have our track record so well documented it easy to see the ebbs and flows of PNG football. Thanks to people like Indian fan who puts so much work into preserving the history of the program. We have been to State 7 times. To some schools that's not all that great, many others would wish for that. Even just a single trip. If you look at SETX as a whole the area has been pretty successful visiting the SC game. WOS, Newton, Nederland, Dayton, Crosby, TJ, BWB, Kirbyville, PNG, BMT French, Bridge City, Jasper, BMT High, and others. 

3 hours ago, prepballfan said:

As opposed to what? There are some on here which I will not name that said even in the last year that PNG would NEVER make it to state again. Why you ask? Because of demographics, geography, and they do not have talented enough kids. Now I am no saying I agree with them but it has been said many times on here. 

WTH are you talking about in reference to what I said?

Cant have too little of either. But I’m leaning towards coaching. Especially on the high school level. I’ve seen some coaches get a lot out of the kids they have and have kids ready to run thru a brick wall for them. I’ve also seen some coaches with a ton of talent not have their kids prepared and in the position to win. And as we all know “If you build it they will come” We all know that coaches get none of the credit for wins and all the credit for losses but they get all the credit when they create dynasties.