East Chambers (14) @ Hamshire-Fannett (30) - FINAL

jdawg03

The better team won tonight but give credit to Coach Sutherland and his staff and the EC team. They did what they needed to do to stay in this game. HF is a very good team and EC gave them all they wanted.

Two things caught my attention after tonight's game. HF doesn't run the ball very well and doesn't defend the run very well. Longhorns want to make it a 7 on 7 contest, both offensively and defensively. That's their strength. QB and receivers, defensive  backs. A little light in the defensive front. Good speed on defense but a team with a good running game will give them fits.

EC has a gem in the making at QB with the freshman Fontenot. Bucs will improve as the season goes. I think they have a real shot at winning district. Going to be better than some predicted.

Freshman QB had 2-3 good down field passes on the mark, that gave me some confidence in him. He had a good game that will improve in time. I think we have 2-3 freshman starting on this team so as they get experience it will help. EC had two fumbles and a blocked punt and stayed within 2 scores of a good 4A team. EC has some young inexperienced players that will improve with time so they should be able to compete for 1st in District. HF QB was good and had a couple of good receivers that can score fast!!!! Good luck HF with the rest of the season!!!

3 hours ago, swatandswim said:

On the stats it says HF has had 150 plus yards rushing 2 games. Looks like they run the ball pretty well.

So 75-80 yards rushing per game is satisfactory?

60 of those yards were scrambles by the QB. Not designed runs.

I watched both games and I saw some struggles with the running game.