Crosby (22) @ Sheldon C.E. King (58) - FINAL

jdawg03

Big margin but felt a lot better than last year. Gave up a safety on a snap over the punter’s head and thee tds on fields 30 yards or shorter. Even with all that we’re 1st and 10 from King’s 15 yard line with an opportunity to cut to a 2 score game with about 2 mins left in the 3rd quarter. 

The big difference between 5A and 6A is the line of scrimmage and we got beat there as expected but still looked a lot better than last year, and that’s with your RT who came into the season with 26 career starts out. As expected with learning a new offense we also had numerous pre-snap penalties, several of them being drive killers. We had some mishandling of the football along with incorrect assignments as expected. What we shouldn’t be having are the drops, particularly the wide arse open ones for touchdowns. We cost ourselves two tds and 2/3 other first downs that may have led to additional scores. Eudy’s numbers are going to look mediocre but it’s not because he wasn’t putting it on the receivers facemasks. 

What was nice to see for a first game was the way we did execute the new system on certain drives and the low amount of defensive penalties. They gave up a big number tonight but the offense helped an awful lot with the drops, penalties and spotty execution in general. 

Unfortunately we lost a receiver to a broken collarbone for a while and one of the starting safeties went out in the second and didn’t return. Kid was having a nice game up until that point. Fortunately we look to have more depth this year. 

I think there’s a lot of Crosby fans who watch the game tonight and feel pretty good about our prospects this year. We need to stay healthy which we’re not off to a great start at, but if we can I think we’ll be a problem by November. 

1 hour ago, Justafan72 said:

If the C.E. King QB is a sophomore,Crosby does not need to have the Panthers on next years Schedule.He's a good one.Can't be a 5A team and play a 6A team with 3 of your better players not playing.Just Sayin'

I think maybe you play Heights, Dobie, Deer Park, etc., someone of that caliber. You need to play someone that’s bigger and more athletic than you in the trenches to get a real test of where you’re really at and playing up is the easiest way to do that. You can play someone like Kingwood or Humble but they don’t have the coaching you need to face. I’m not sure about last year but I think this year it’s going to benefit us from having that game on the schedule. 

We played mediocre even for this being our fist time out under the new staff. That being said we would’ve beaten a WHOLE bunch of teams tonight who didn’t have personnel the caliber of CE King. Not sure that would’ve been a good thing because it probably would’ve given us a false sense of where we really are/were. 

14 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think maybe you play Heights, Dobie, Deer Park, etc., someone of that caliber. You need to play someone that’s bigger and more athletic than you in the trenches to get a real test of where you’re really at and playing up is the easiest way to do that. You can play someone like Kingwood or Humble but they don’t have the coaching you need to face. I’m not sure about last year but I think this year it’s going to benefit us from having that game on the schedule. 

We played mediocre even for this being our fist time out under the new staff. That being said we would’ve beaten a WHOLE bunch of teams tonight who didn’t have personnel the caliber of CE King. Not sure that would’ve been a good thing because it probably would’ve given us a false sense of where we really are/were. 

Since the scrimmages and non district games are the choosing of the previous head coach all we can do is debate what we think is better or worse.And since injuries play such a huge part of a teams success,we hope our depth can counter the loss of time the kids must spend in the trainers room. I think with the additions of transfers this year,Crosby will be OK in this department.

I had thought before reading about the loss of the Langley twins that the Cougars would beat King because of the lack of returnees at King.Their ability to reload put a damper on that.The QB,if a sophomore, will be a good QB in the future.I received an emergency call and had to leave the game,so the second half I can't comment on.I was impressed with the heavy hits by Crosby players.The crowd acknowledge the good ones.

Hope the 2 players mentioned with injuries make a quick return .Broken Collarbone will take weeks to recover so carry on Cougars.I'll be there to cheer you on at Hall stadium next week.                

Kade Eudy dropping it in the bucket all night. Somehow we catch this one and walk away with no points after having 1st and 10 from the 15 and a TD drop on another perfectly thrown Eudy pass. Nice to see us make some plays on both sides of the ball against this caliber personnel. Particularly thought the o-line played better than expected considering Langley was out. 

This is the hidden content, please

Nope, nope and more nope. CEK returned 3 players a dominated Crosby. Their lines were even smaller but still dominated the line of scrimmage. I watched until Crosby scored on a wide open seem pass the turned off. IMO y’all lose next week and then have to play well to beat Lee. Prove me wrong 😑 

Another example of getting kids behind the defense through scheme. Run the play-action off the fake toss to hold the defenders in place and let your big TE get behind the safety. O-line holds up just long enough for Eudy to drop it in the bucket. Probably would thrown for 300 yards had we caught the football all night. 

16 minutes ago, CCRed said:

Yea, I think if Crosby started the season playing some mediocre teams like Magnolia West or Montgomery, we could start out 2-0. But probably get a lot more preparation experience with King and FBM. 

Getting drug up and down the field doesn’t prepare you for anything. Finding teams you can compete with does. Doesn’t  matter what your record is once district begins ,but playing teams way over you skill level gets you nowhere 

Forgot to mention that last year’s 22-6A MVP was undoubtedly ruled eligible before the game? #1 was Darius James, CEK may be willing to forfeit some non-district games if necessary? You can see him on the plays below. Interesting to see if he makes the first district start too? After watching Longview and Timberview this week I don’t think we’ll see any other QB as athletic as him on the schedule. FBM played two QB’s in their opener against Klein and while both are solid I don’t think they’re the caliber Jordon Davis was last year. 

R

4 hours ago, BHFAN said:

Getting drug up and down the field doesn’t prepare you for anything. Finding teams you can compete with does. Doesn’t  matter what your record is once district begins ,but playing teams way over you skill level gets you nowhere 

Playing teams like Magnolia West in non-district does 0 for Crosby. They’re not going to be a factor to win anything and they don’t have the personnel or coaching that you look for to get you ready for the teams you have to beat late in the playoffs. 

Playing teams where you know you’re out-manned tests your level of physicality, execution and fortitude. Are you physical enough to compete, can you execute within narrow margins and when it gets tough out there who really wants to play? Saw some physicality, King probably got more players hurt than we did. Executed light years better than last year, even with returning a QB responsible for 50 tds the year before, and the kids played hard to the last whistle.  In Crosby and CEK’s case we’re also seeing where we need to be in a few years to compete in district play.

SOC has been playing Duncanville in non-district the last four years. SOC has no chance but in those games SOC has become a little more and more competitive, it’s definitely helped them in later games during the season. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

R

Playing teams like Magnolia West in non-district does 0 for Crosby. They’re not going to be a factor to win anything and they don’t have the personnel or coaching that you look for to get you ready for the teams you have to beat late in the playoffs. 

Playing teams where you know you’re out-manned tests your level of physicality, execution and fortitude. Are you physical enough to compete, can you execute within narrow margins and when it gets tough out there who really wants to play? Saw some physicality, King probably got more players hurt than we did. Executed light years better than last year, even with returning a QB responsible for 50 tds the year before, and the kids played hard to the last whistle.  In Crosby and CEK’s case we’re also seeing where we need to be in a few years to compete in district play.

SOC has been playing Duncanville in non-district the last four years. SOC has no chance but in those games SOC has become a little more and more competitive, it’s definitely helped them in later games during the season. 

Late in the playoffs? First you have to get to the playoffs 👍 I hear ya, but still do not think playing teams you can’t get within 5 TD’s of is useful. Maybe y’all put North Shore on the schedule for next year with that logic no one will touch you in district. Mag West allowed us to play a competitive team with good coaching and kids which will be more than likely what we will see in district. You play teams that test you not embarrass you.

11 hours ago, BHFAN said:

Late in the playoffs? First you have to get to the playoffs 👍 I hear ya, but still do not think playing teams you can’t get within 5 TD’s of is useful. Maybe y’all put North Shore on the schedule for next year with that logic no one will touch you in district. Mag West allowed us to play a competitive team with good coaching and kids which will be more than likely what we will see in district. You play teams that test you not embarrass you.

We’ve missed the playoffs once in 18 years now under our 4th head coach. Playoffs are the base expectation for Crosby. We’re going for a win or share of our 7th district championship in the last 10 years, we’re trying to win our 4th regional final in that span and make our 2nd title game appearance. The last thing Crosby should be doing is taking advice from BH who has one district title the last 15 years. Obviously what y’all do doesn’t work. 

Go tell Jason Todd and his two titles that he’s an idiot for playing Duncanville because he lost 41-3 and could’ve lost 63-0 if Samples felt like it. Tell him he should be playing Grapevine instead because that’s how y’all do it in BH. At the end of the day BH doesn’t play high level non-district games because one, because nobody respects you enough to put you on the schedule and two, y’all are scared to lose them. Y’all are still on the everybody should play and feel good about themselves tip. Crosby is trying to win so we’re going to play winners, especially when we have to play teams like that in a few years.