2023 Participation Numbers

1 hour ago, MrFleet23 said:

A head scratcher. That 8th grade team last year was packed football and bball. 

Yeah, probably had over 40 kids on B team alone last year. We still have a lot of talent left in the class even after the three major transfers, no doubt all three had a huge impact though. Little Jerry would’ve probably been the backup varsity QB and there’s a good chance the freshman receiver that transferred to North Shore would’ve started in that spread offense we used to run. 

10 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yeah, probably had over 40 kids on B team alone last year. We still have a lot of talent left in the class even after the three major transfers, no doubt all three had a huge impact though. Little Jerry would’ve probably been the backup varsity QB and there’s a good chance the freshman receiver that transferred to North Shore would’ve started in that spread offense we used to run. 

the way these kids transfer around now you would think this is a college football.   What's next?   Teams changing divisions or classifications for more TV money?? LOL.

11 hours ago, Bigdog said:

the way these kids transfer around now you would think this is a college football.   What's next?   Teams changing divisions or classifications for more TV money?? LOL.

It’s just part of the game now, especially at these metro area schools. You can either get with it or complain while you’re getting rolled over. Those Dallas County all-star teams won 3 of the 4 5A/6A state titles. Aledo won the other one and what do you know, they just got a big time running back in the offseason. Even teams that you consider more homegrown like SLC just got a big time running back transfer denied. I’m not a fan but looking around the country the Texas transfer rules seem to be a lot more strict than some of the other around the country. 

I guarantee you if TV money ever got seriously integrated into THSF the UIL would cease to exist, kind of like the NCAA doesn’t now since they started to let conference commissioners negotiate their own TV contracts. You could probably get a six figure payout from the local Jefferson County TV station for the rights to the PNG/NED/PAM/BMT games.  

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It’s just part of the game now, especially at these metro area schools. You can either get with it or complain while you’re getting rolled over. Those Dallas County all-star teams won 3 of the 4 5A/6A state titles. Aledo won the other one and what do you know, they just got a big time running back in the offseason. Even teams that you consider more homegrown like SLC just got a big time running back transfer denied. I’m not a fan but looking around the country the Texas transfer rules seem to be a lot more strict than some of the other around the country. 

I guarantee you if TV money ever got seriously integrated into THSF the UIL would cease to exist, kind of like the NCAA doesn’t now since they started to let conference commissioners negotiate their own TV contracts. You could probably get a six figure payout from the local Jefferson County TV station for the rights to the PNG/NED/PAM/BMT games.  

Yep.  Is agree about the NCAA it is irrelevant as entity other than maybe some enforcement.  As far as TV/streaming here local, there are already 3rd party companies that stream games for ISDs especially after the UIL relaxed the rules during Covid and then left them that way. KLVI has had Ned football for years on the radio and now works with Sheffield to stream.  92.5 has PNG for radio for years,  I don’t know who streams their games. I’m sure the Districts get a cut of that.  Just leaves TV rights whenever the UIL finally allows it.

6 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

Yep.  Is agree about the NCAA it is irrelevant as entity other than maybe some enforcement.  As far as TV/streaming here local, there are already 3rd party companies that stream games for ISDs especially after the UIL relaxed the rules during Covid and then left them that way. KLVI has had Ned football for years on the radio and now works with Sheffield to stream.  92.5 has PNG for radio for years,  I don’t know who streams their games. I’m sure the Districts get a cut of that.  Just leaves TV rights whenever the UIL finally allows it.

Png games can be seen on Texan Live. 

11 hours ago, Bigdog said:

I know you can currently catch streams, TV games or radio broadcasts. What I'm saying is if you could negotiate the rights to those games there would be financial incentives for the schools. Every Crosby game is streamed on Texan Live, Texan Live makes money off Crosby games since people pay for subscriptions to the streaming service. Crosby makes 0 dollars off the stream though. If Crosby owned the rights to those games then in theory Crosby could make Texan Live pay for the privilege of of  broadcasting them similar to the way the SEC owns the rights to their games and CBS pays them $100's of millions a year to to broadcast them. Right now for the most part those games are being shown for free because the school just likes the fact they're on whatever media platform wants them. 

If the Jefferson County schools told all the media platforms "No, you can't broadcast our event without compensation" there's absolutely a local channel that would pay for the rights to show them. That channel would make significant add revenue, relative to high school sports, if that was the ONLY place you could see them.  

49 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I know you can currently catch streams, TV games or radio broadcasts. What I'm saying is if you could negotiate the rights to those games there would be financial incentives for the schools. Every Crosby game is streamed on Texan Live, Texan Live makes money off Crosby games since people pay for subscriptions to the streaming service. Crosby makes 0 dollars off the stream though. If Crosby owned the rights to those games then in theory Crosby could make Texan Live pay for the privilege of of  broadcasting them similar to the way the SEC owns the rights to their games and CBS pays them $100's of millions a year to to broadcast them. Right now for the most part those games are being shown for free because the school just likes the fact they're on whatever media platform wants them. 

If the Jefferson County schools told all the media platforms "No, you can't broadcast our event without compensation" there's absolutely a local channel that would pay for the rights to show them. That channel would make significant add revenue, relative to high school sports, if that was the ONLY place you could see them.  

Texan Live paid Crosby ISD for the regular season rights. Any school that Texan Live streams during the regular season on a regular basis has negotiated a contract with TL. I know for a fact that East Chambers and Silsbee, two teams that TL streams all their home games plus some away games, signed contracts with Texan Live and got paid.

Playoff games are a different story. TL paid the UIL for those rights.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Texan Live paid Crosby ISD for the regular season rights. Any school that Texan Live streams during the regular season on a regular basis has negotiated a contract with TL. I know for a fact that East Chambers and Silsbee, two teams that TL streams all their home games plus some away games, signed contracts with Texan Live and got paid.

Playoff games are a different story. TL paid the UIL for those rights.

That's interesting. Whenever I asked one of our administrators last year why we still have to do so many fundraisers for basic necessities and just can't use the money we make from streams or home games to cover the expenses his exact answer to me was "The money is for all programs, not just football and we don't get bleep off of those streams." I was particularly asking because our game with FB Marshall was on our local CW station. Maybe he meant not getting anything as in a low dollar value but my impression was that he meant we don't get anything at all.

You can also watch Crosby's games on the NFHS network along with thousands of other schools, tough to see how a steaming service that can't even get a good feed all the time can pay 1,000's of high schools across the country for the rights to show their games or maybe they just pay the equivalent to the UIL in each one of those states? Either way, what I was pointing out is that if Crosby or district 8-5A-D1 solely owned those rights they could be sold for a lot more than they're receiving now. I'm sure to be a member of the UIL schools have to give up a certain level of autonomy though. 

34 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Back on topic for a sec..

No exact #s but word I got was about the same from last year ~100 players 

Silsbee Senior Class is bulk of Varsity w/ about 30+ Freshman.

I saw a team pic of the varsity earlier this week. Had 45 in the pic. That number will probably reduce by 8 or so by week 1.

At the parent meeting today Coach Willis said we only have about 125 kids in the entire program. Said for comparison at Colleyville Heritage he had about 185. Crosby like a lot of other schools is having to adjust to the largest population in their enrollment basically not even participating in football.