SETX Officiating - A Victim of an Official Shortage or an Epidemic of Incompetence

gogo1734

There was once a time when an officiating crew would walk into a gym and everyone would know those guys were going to do a great job that night. Those days are getting farther and farther apart. Still some of those guys left, but they’re spread thin. I feel like we get much more knowledgeable officials when we have games in places that use other chapters. Is it too much to ask to have these guys trained properly? I’ve seen technical fouls called on kids for leaving the bench after a time out was called, intentional fouls called on kids when they’re trying to foul at the end of a ballgame. (Nothing forceful either) Those are just a couple of examples. This goes for both sides in most games I’ve seen this season, and I’ve seen quite a few. 

7 hours ago, gogo1734 said:

There was once a time when an officiating crew would walk into a gym and everyone would know those guys were going to do a great job that night. Those days are getting farther and farther apart. Still some of those guys left, but they’re spread thin. I feel like we get much more knowledgeable officials when we have games in places that use other chapters. Is it too much to ask to have these guys trained properly? I’ve seen technical fouls called on kids for leaving the bench after a time out was called, intentional fouls called on kids when they’re trying to foul at the end of a ballgame. (Nothing forceful either) Those are just a couple of examples. This goes for both sides in most games I’ve seen this season, and I’ve seen quite a few. 

I don’t know why they are so bad in SETX but they just are.  Not all, obviously.  But the overall product is embarrassing.  When I am in other venues (which is a lot) and hear complaining about the officiating, I always say, you should go watch a game in SETX.  And worse, one of our 2 chapters is way worse than the other and the other may be the second to the worst I’ve seen (overall). 

On the other hand, last week I watched a D1 crew blow a 3 pt call (calling a shot a 3 when the shooter was 2 to 3 feet inside the 3 pt line), in a game that ultimately went to OT and the team that would have won lost.  All 3 collegiate officials missed that call.  So it may not just be on the HS level.  The problem is, it’s a job not many people would want. 

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I don’t know why they are so bad in SETX but they just are.  Not all, obviously.  But the overall product is embarrassing.  When I am in other venues (which is a lot) and hear complaining about the officiating, I always say, you should go watch a game in SETX.  And worse, one of our 2 chapters is way worse than the other and the other may be the second to the worst I’ve seen (overall). 

On the other hand, last week I watched a D1 crew blow a 3 pt call (calling a shot a 3 when the shooter was 2 to 3 feet inside the 3 pt line), in a game that ultimately went to OT and the team that would have won lost.  All 3 collegiate officials missed that call.  So it may not just be on the HS level.  The problem is, it’s a job not many people would want. 

Couldn’t agree more, and you said it better than I did. Missed calls happen, but not knowing the rules is a different animal all together and makes for a hard watch. Another thing is a lot of these newer guys want to put on a show. No one came to the game to watch the refs. 

9 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Must be before my time. I've heard a lot of things sitting in the stands over the years. One thing I've never heard or witnessed is anyone being satisfied with the officiating.

It would be nice if the ref the farthest away wasn't usually the one making the bad calls.

Happy probably isn’t the right word. You should feel indifferent about them in my opinion. Barely noticing them there should be the goal of an official. Make the obvious calls. Don’t interject yourself into the game by making obscure or unnecessary calls 

Open letter to: Fans, parents; players, coaches and AD’s.

Keep It Positive!

You may or may not know we are having a shortage of officials.  Veteran officials are leaving the game and younger officials are hard to recruit.

There are many reasons but one of the biggest concerns is, in game behavior towards officials.

As a reminder, this is not our job.  We do it for the game, we do it for the players; we do it for your children.  Yes, we get paid, but for $45 to $70 would you leave work at 5PM, drive an hour away, do a 7:30 game and get home between 9:00 and 10:30, 4 to 5 nights a week?  And, have people you never met, yell when you make a call or don’t make a call.  Did I mention we have to pay annual fees and dues to the state and local associations?  Did I mention we must also attend a number of on-line and local association meetings?  And of course, buy uniforms.  Would you give up your Friday and Saturday nights for four months for my child?

Yes, some officials are not the most fleet of foot, some are still learning, and some are just not that good, but they are still out there so your children can play.  You’re not going to get NCAA officials for your junior high school game.  What you get, is a dedicated; passionate person who loves the game.

Shooters don’t make every shot. Football players miss tackles and hold.  In MLB baseball the three statistics always shown are Runs, Hits and ERRORS.  Yes Errors.  The best athletes in the world make mistakes.  And so do officials, we are human.  The world will not end because of a missed travel.

Imagine doing your job and every 3 minutes, a stranger looks over your shoulder and tells you “You’re horrible”. “You’re doing it wrong”.  They may be right, but could you work under those conditions? Would you want to?  And it’s become more physical.  Just last week alone, there were two incidents where parent fans attacked officials.  One was a Tennessee senator!

What makes it worse, is when those people yelling at you have no idea what your job is.

The reason for this letter is to ask for a commitment.  If we don’t make changes, youth sports may be in serious trouble.  The average high school official is 58 years old.  Many games had to be cancelled the last two years due to shortage of officials.

If you’re a parent or a fan, support the players, cheer for them. Just because you paid your $6.00 doesn’t give you the right to scream and yell obscenities to the officials.  Cheer for your team.  Keep it positive.

If you’re a player, ask your parents to behave, have better social skills.  It’s embarrassing to the child when we have to remove a player’s parent.  If you want to make a difference, when you’re done with school, become an official we need them.

If you’re a coach or AD, lead by example.  Respect the officials, give feedback to your assignors we will work on improving their skills.  Demand your parents sign a Code of Conduct at your parent’s meetings.   As simple as, “We understand if anyone is anything but positive, to opposing teams, fans or officials, they will be removed from the event.  The second time they will be banned for the season”.  Remind them every pre-game. Then please enforce it. Zero tolerance.

We hear all the time, “the gym and athletics are an extension of the classroom”. Would you let these things happen in “your” class?  We can’t allow it to continue.  We have 15 minutes of warm up, make the announcement.  AT EVERY GAME.  I know no one wants to be the bad guy but their behavior is what caused it.  By letting this behavior continue it’s only going to get worse. Set the example.

I am committed to you, to continue to educate officials. I am asking you to commit to helping us keep them on the court.

One of the many reasons fans and even coaches yell and scream, is that they don’t understand NFHS rules.

What you see on TV is not National Federation High School rules.  There are at least 5 sets of different rules, between the pro and high school levels.  So let me start with a few simple top 10 rules that many people don’t understand, and we hear them every night.  Feel free to share these at your parent meetings or send home or give to your players.

1)     Over the Back- There is no foul for “over the back”.  Over the back means a taller player reached over and secured the ball.  Over the back is legal.  On the back or pushing through the back to get a ball is illegal.  It’s a push.

2)     A player, while dribbling can fumble the ball all the way down the court legally.  As long as it’s not intentional.  It is impossible to travel if you don’t have control of the ball.  It’s ugly but we have no call for ugly.

3)     A dribbler who lets the ball bounce high, even over their head has not “carried” the ball.  It is a high dribble.  As long as the hand doesn’t go under to “carry” or come to rest in the hand, the dribble is legal.

4)     Three seconds in the key.  This only applies while the ball is in the front court.  “If a player has been in for less than three seconds and dribbles in or attempts a goal no call should be made”. 

The three second count restarts on every shot attempt and doesn’t start until the team has control of the rebound.  So yes, a player could be in the key for 10 or more seconds if attempts are being made to score.

5)     A player diving for a lose-ball, even once securing the ball, can slide any distance without traveling.  It is only if the player rolls over to avoid a defender or attempts to get up without dribbling that a violation occurs.

6)     A “box out” is securing a position on the floor.  Displacement is pushing somebody off a position and is illegal.  A player can not crash into an opponent as a box out.  That is a foul.

7)     A kick violation was changed to an intentional act, so if a player throws the ball off a foot or a leg it is not a violation.  Only an intentional kick is a violation.

😎     The definition of a foul is: Illegal contact, on an opponent, during a live ball, that hinders their ability to make an offensive or defensive play. 

Therefore:

1)     A moving screen with no contact is not illegal.  An illegal screen is when a player does not set a legal screen and makes contact or once contact is made, then makes illegal contact.

2)     Not all contact is a foul. There can be contact that doesn’t “hinder” a player’s ability to make the play. High school athletes can play through some contact.

9)     A player does not have to be “set” to take a charge.  Once “legal guarding position” is established, the defender can move sideways, backwards and even jump and still be legal.    (Legal Guarding Position = both feet on the floor facing their opponent)

10)  All four sides of the backboard are in bounds (on a square backboard).  The ball can legally bounce on the top of the backboard, roll on the top and fall into the basket and be a good goal.  Over the backboard from either side or touching any of the support straps, springs or cables cause the ball to be out of bounds

These are the top 10 rules that are misunderstood. There are plenty more, but this is a good start

Let’s all make an effort to keep the kids playing.  We need your help. 

Keep It Positive!  Please.

7 hours ago, watup said:

Open letter to: Fans, parents; players, coaches and AD’s.

Keep It Positive!

You may or may not know we are having a shortage of officials.  Veteran officials are leaving the game and younger officials are hard to recruit.

There are many reasons but one of the biggest concerns is, in game behavior towards officials.

As a reminder, this is not our job.  We do it for the game, we do it for the players; we do it for your children.  Yes, we get paid, but for $45 to $70 would you leave work at 5PM, drive an hour away, do a 7:30 game and get home between 9:00 and 10:30, 4 to 5 nights a week?  And, have people you never met, yell when you make a call or don’t make a call.  Did I mention we have to pay annual fees and dues to the state and local associations?  Did I mention we must also attend a number of on-line and local association meetings?  And of course, buy uniforms.  Would you give up your Friday and Saturday nights for four months for my child?

Yes, some officials are not the most fleet of foot, some are still learning, and some are just not that good, but they are still out there so your children can play.  You’re not going to get NCAA officials for your junior high school game.  What you get, is a dedicated; passionate person who loves the game.

Shooters don’t make every shot. Football players miss tackles and hold.  In MLB baseball the three statistics always shown are Runs, Hits and ERRORS.  Yes Errors.  The best athletes in the world make mistakes.  And so do officials, we are human.  The world will not end because of a missed travel.

Imagine doing your job and every 3 minutes, a stranger looks over your shoulder and tells you “You’re horrible”. “You’re doing it wrong”.  They may be right, but could you work under those conditions? Would you want to?  And it’s become more physical.  Just last week alone, there were two incidents where parent fans attacked officials.  One was a Tennessee senator!

What makes it worse, is when those people yelling at you have no idea what your job is.

The reason for this letter is to ask for a commitment.  If we don’t make changes, youth sports may be in serious trouble.  The average high school official is 58 years old.  Many games had to be cancelled the last two years due to shortage of officials.

If you’re a parent or a fan, support the players, cheer for them. Just because you paid your $6.00 doesn’t give you the right to scream and yell obscenities to the officials.  Cheer for your team.  Keep it positive.

If you’re a player, ask your parents to behave, have better social skills.  It’s embarrassing to the child when we have to remove a player’s parent.  If you want to make a difference, when you’re done with school, become an official we need them.

If you’re a coach or AD, lead by example.  Respect the officials, give feedback to your assignors we will work on improving their skills.  Demand your parents sign a Code of Conduct at your parent’s meetings.   As simple as, “We understand if anyone is anything but positive, to opposing teams, fans or officials, they will be removed from the event.  The second time they will be banned for the season”.  Remind them every pre-game. Then please enforce it. Zero tolerance.

We hear all the time, “the gym and athletics are an extension of the classroom”. Would you let these things happen in “your” class?  We can’t allow it to continue.  We have 15 minutes of warm up, make the announcement.  AT EVERY GAME.  I know no one wants to be the bad guy but their behavior is what caused it.  By letting this behavior continue it’s only going to get worse. Set the example.

I am committed to you, to continue to educate officials. I am asking you to commit to helping us keep them on the court.

One of the many reasons fans and even coaches yell and scream, is that they don’t understand NFHS rules.

What you see on TV is not National Federation High School rules.  There are at least 5 sets of different rules, between the pro and high school levels.  So let me start with a few simple top 10 rules that many people don’t understand, and we hear them every night.  Feel free to share these at your parent meetings or send home or give to your players.

1)     Over the Back- There is no foul for “over the back”.  Over the back means a taller player reached over and secured the ball.  Over the back is legal.  On the back or pushing through the back to get a ball is illegal.  It’s a push.

2)     A player, while dribbling can fumble the ball all the way down the court legally.  As long as it’s not intentional.  It is impossible to travel if you don’t have control of the ball.  It’s ugly but we have no call for ugly.

3)     A dribbler who lets the ball bounce high, even over their head has not “carried” the ball.  It is a high dribble.  As long as the hand doesn’t go under to “carry” or come to rest in the hand, the dribble is legal.

4)     Three seconds in the key.  This only applies while the ball is in the front court.  “If a player has been in for less than three seconds and dribbles in or attempts a goal no call should be made”. 

The three second count restarts on every shot attempt and doesn’t start until the team has control of the rebound.  So yes, a player could be in the key for 10 or more seconds if attempts are being made to score.

5)     A player diving for a lose-ball, even once securing the ball, can slide any distance without traveling.  It is only if the player rolls over to avoid a defender or attempts to get up without dribbling that a violation occurs.

6)     A “box out” is securing a position on the floor.  Displacement is pushing somebody off a position and is illegal.  A player can not crash into an opponent as a box out.  That is a foul.

7)     A kick violation was changed to an intentional act, so if a player throws the ball off a foot or a leg it is not a violation.  Only an intentional kick is a violation.

😎     The definition of a foul is: Illegal contact, on an opponent, during a live ball, that hinders their ability to make an offensive or defensive play. 

Therefore:

1)     A moving screen with no contact is not illegal.  An illegal screen is when a player does not set a legal screen and makes contact or once contact is made, then makes illegal contact.

2)     Not all contact is a foul. There can be contact that doesn’t “hinder” a player’s ability to make the play. High school athletes can play through some contact.

9)     A player does not have to be “set” to take a charge.  Once “legal guarding position” is established, the defender can move sideways, backwards and even jump and still be legal.    (Legal Guarding Position = both feet on the floor facing their opponent)

10)  All four sides of the backboard are in bounds (on a square backboard).  The ball can legally bounce on the top of the backboard, roll on the top and fall into the basket and be a good goal.  Over the backboard from either side or touching any of the support straps, springs or cables cause the ball to be out of bounds

These are the top 10 rules that are misunderstood. There are plenty more, but this is a good start

Let’s all make an effort to keep the kids playing.  We need your help. 

Keep It Positive!  Please.

No one asked for NCAA officials for Jr high basketball games. My original post is only speaking on high school varsity basketball games. It’s not too much to ask for officials in a varsity game to be competent. As far as “respect” goes we had an official who approached a fan who he thought had been complaining (he had not but it was someone close by this particular man). The official told the man, “If you don’t shut the hell up I’m going to throw your fat ass out of here.” The man told the official, “it wasn’t me” and he was promptly thrown out of the gym. This was a 70+ year old man who was ejected from the gym for nothing. Officials laughing in the face of coaches and refusing to have a discussion with a coach about a call. That’s unprofessional and disrespectful. These things go both ways. Your attitude that any and every official should be able to do an extremely poor job without being questioned is absurd. If I was as poor at my job as some of these guys I’d have been fired years ago. 

1 hour ago, gogo1734 said:

No one asked for NCAA officials for Jr high basketball games. My original post is only speaking on high school varsity basketball games. It’s not too much to ask for officials in a varsity game to be competent. As far as “respect” goes we had an official who approached a fan who he thought had been complaining (he had not but it was someone close by this particular man). The official told the man, “If you don’t shut the hell up I’m going to throw your fat ass out of here.” The man told the official, “it wasn’t me” and he was promptly thrown out of the gym. This was a 70+ year old man who was ejected from the gym for nothing. Officials laughing in the face of coaches and refusing to have a discussion with a coach about a call. That’s unprofessional and disrespectful. These things go both ways. Your attitude that any and every official should be able to do an extremely poor job without being questioned is absurd. If I was as poor at my job as some of these guys I’d have been fired years ago. 

I think you missed the point that many of these guys/ladies have different day jobs and do this on the side to give back to the game we all love. They make very little in terms of the abuse they have to put up with. I also know coaches are given the right to scratch officials they feel are too incompetent. I also know that people shouldn't be quick to criticize/berate officials if they aren't willing to be a part of the solution. 

33 minutes ago, Cherokee88 said:

I think you missed the point that many of these guys/ladies have different day jobs and do this on the side to give back to the game we all love. They make very little in terms of the abuse they have to put up with. I also know coaches are given the right to scratch officials they feel are too incompetent. I also know that people shouldn't be quick to criticize/berate officials if they aren't willing to be a part of the solution. 

That’s like saying you shouldn’t be able to criticize a car salesman if you aren’t willing to become one. It’s just silly. I and many others don’t care if officials have another day job. We care about the job they’re doing as officials. I’m not a yeller and screamer at officials during a game. That’s the coach’s job. However, I leave games now more often than ever frustrated at the way a game is officiated. There’s no longer any consistency whatsoever. The post above talked about several rules we should all know. I couldn’t agree more with that part of his post. Although, the officials all call games according to the same rule book, you even see some of the simplest of calls officially drastically different from game to game. It shouldn’t be that way. 

25 minutes ago, gogo1734 said:

That’s like saying you shouldn’t be able to criticize a car salesman if you aren’t willing to become one. It’s just silly. I and many others don’t care if officials have another day job. We care about the job they’re doing as officials. I’m not a yeller and screamer at officials during a game. That’s the coach’s job. However, I leave games now more often than ever frustrated at the way a game is officiated. There’s no longer any consistency whatsoever. The post above talked about several rules we should all know. I couldn’t agree more with that part of his post. Although, the officials all call games according to the same rule book, you even see some of the simplest of calls officially drastically different from game to game. It shouldn’t be that way. 

I would disagree, typically is a car salesman is a full-time employee and has been trained for years on the best sales tactics and business practices. A high school basketball official is typically someone who does it part- time and is truly doing the best job possible with limited time and resources. 

I also know that if you have a vested interest in a team as a fan you are going to view the game differently than someone who is non-biased. In my 30 plus  years of watching HS basketball, I have seen very few games where an official or officials cost another team a game.

1 hour ago, gogo1734 said:

We are always looking for officials.  Basketball training starts Tuesday after Labor Day and we have training sessions every week till end of November.  Then we still meet on Sunday’s, twice a month, throughout the season which ends in March.  We have to take test to be eligible to officiate.

12 hours ago, watup said:

We are always looking for officials.  Basketball training starts Tuesday after Labor Day and we have training sessions every week till end of November.  Then we still meet on Sunday’s, twice a month, throughout the season which ends in March.  We have to take test to be eligible to officiate.

Typical non answer without any solution to the problem at hand. Let's blame everyone else for the poor officiating and try to hand them our whistle when we hear about it. Sounds like you guys do a lot of training and testing. Is it possible the training and testing should be reviewed and updated? That's not a rhetorical question. If there's that much training and testing before you can officiate, then why do so many officials not know the rules? Again, I'm not talking about all officials, but only SETX officials. You go to Houston or Dallas and its completely different. 

You can’t get officials to stay around long enough to be good anymore. People start bashing them and threatening officials as young as little dribblers all the way up to jv level. Those guys can only handle so much crap before they get to the point of handing over the whistle as you say. I’m assuming in your years of watching basketball you have made all the correct calls from the stands and never missed one? If any fan thinks the officials cost them the game they are truly an idiot and were probably brought up around someone who blamed officials. Teach these kids to take responsibility and that one call didn’t cost them the 5 prior turnovers or bad shot selection cost them. Them not getting back on defense cost them. Not the “over the back” call you thought he missed. I’m going to assume Gogo has never volunteered to officiate even at the youngest stages of the game and doesn’t realize how hard of a job those guys have out there and grew up blaming his failed basketball career on bad coaching and the officials. Otherwise would have gone pro. 

Officials are not doing a great job this year. some of these guys don't know the rules when it comes to the game. part of the problem from a fans perspective is the officials who carry themselves like they don't do anything wrong. everyone knows they are going to make bad calls and are going to make mistakes but when you act like its still is the right call and everyone else you is wrong is where i see people get upset. just say my bad and get the next one right will take them a long way. 

I’ll tell you this. I help run little league and little dribblers. We have to beg and plea with officials at that level to get these guys to show up. Soon we will not have any and our children will be the ones hurt by this. That’s just the facts of what’s happening. 

4 hours ago, Knox34 said:

You can’t get officials to stay around long enough to be good anymore. People start bashing them and threatening officials as young as little dribblers all the way up to jv level. Those guys can only handle so much crap before they get to the point of handing over the whistle as you say. I’m assuming in your years of watching basketball you have made all the correct calls from the stands and never missed one? If any fan thinks the officials cost them the game they are truly an idiot and were probably brought up around someone who blamed officials. Teach these kids to take responsibility and that one call didn’t cost them the 5 prior turnovers or bad shot selection cost them. Them not getting back on defense cost them. Not the “over the back” call you thought he missed. I’m going to assume Gogo has never volunteered to officiate even at the youngest stages of the game and doesn’t realize how hard of a job those guys have out there and grew up blaming his failed basketball career on bad coaching and the officials. Otherwise would have gone pro. 

Again, we're not talking about little dribblers or junior high basketball here. Only varsity level. Also, only setx officials.

2 minutes ago, Knox34 said:

Once again you’re missing the point…. The varsity level officials don’t just start as varsity level officials. Just think about it for a minute. They work their way up  good officials don’t become good from the start.  That is the point 

I do get it. I just don't care. The best officials need to officiate the varsity games. If these are the best setx has to offer, then there is an internal issue somewhere.

16 hours ago, Cherokee88 said:

I would disagree, typically is a car salesman is a full-time employee and has been trained for years on the best sales tactics and business practices. A high school basketball official is typically someone who does it part- time and is truly doing the best job possible with limited time and resources. 

I also know that if you have a vested interest in a team as a fan you are going to view the game differently than someone who is non-biased. In my 30 plus  years of watching HS basketball, I have seen very few games where an official or officials cost another team a game.

C'mon man. They hire 18 year old car salesman out of high school with zero experience.

20 minutes ago, Knox34 said:

The issue is guys like you. You might not want to face it. But that’s the reason. So you can either do something to help change it or sit aside grope bitch and tell people all your great ideas and do nothing. 

I know it's always easy to blame someone else for others' mistakes or shortcomings. It's not the fault of "guys like me" that officials don't know the rules. That's on them. A better job needs to be done. I don't have all the answers, but there is certainly an issue that seems to be a greater issue in our area than in others. What are other officiating chapters doing differently than setx? It would be a great place to start.

4 hours ago, Knox34 said:

I'm 5'8'' and didn't have much of a basketball career. I played. That's about it. Typical response by someone who has no good information to contribute. Resorting to an attempt to make fun of someone, etc. I have officiated numerous little dribblers and little league games as a volunteer, so you would be incorrect. Please go back and site any part of any post I have made where I'm blaming officials for costing kids a game. I'll wait. Again...... All I'm saying is the officiating is setx is bad and is getting worse.