Galena Park at Nederland oct 21

lcm93

On 10/18/2022 at 1:15 PM, spidersal said:

Several teams you are referring to have never been very good and I don’t follow them

Nederland , I do care about and follow and yes IMO they should be tremendously better than they are

If you seriously think about the end of last season and this entire season you should definitely agree that Nederland has gotten worse as the season has progressed 

Simply look at the BH, KP games at the end of last season and the last 3 games played this season.

Most HS football teams improve during the season. This has not been the case during the last part of last season and the past 3 games. So IMO that has to be due to poor coaching as well as a lack of talent

Why follow them if they so bad?  Do you work there and you have no choice?  Why do you care if the when or lose?  Why do you feel the need to give your opinion?  I have questions 

On 10/18/2022 at 11:22 AM, A BUC 77 said:

Well, here are the facts.  

Nederland lost a good part of their upper classmen due to whatever reason.  They are relying on sophormore (15-16 yr olds) to toe the line.  Coaches are in unfamiliar territory here.  They're doing the best they can.   I've watched most all the games.  Are there bone head mistakes.  Heck yea.  But they are going out each Friday night and competing.  They know they are not making the playoffs.  But they can't wait to put on that gold helmet with Old English N on it.

EXCELLENT POST!

Well KF89 and other posters

I think I have finally realized why the Bulldogs are having such a bad season

Due to several players quitting at the beginning of this season the majority of players that they still have should have been on the JV team

so this season the Bulldogs are having to play a varsity schedule with mainly a JV roster

7 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Due to several players quitting at the beginning of this season the majority of players that they still have should have been on the JV team

so this season the Bulldogs are having to play a varsity schedule with mainly a JV roster

The question would be, why did these players quit?

Yes that would be a good questions

Do not know if they were mad at coaches or knew they were not very good at football or wanted to specialize in one sport or someone talked them into going one sport or talked them into quitting

I certainly don’t know the answer to that, but it is a good question 

I have now realized that is possibly a main factor into a poor season with the team faced with having to play with several players not ready for varsity competition

7 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I agree & that was discussed a few weeks back as to one the factors of Nederlands struggles. Several of the soph's would have been on varsity getting exp. as back ups with a couple starting this year not the 6 to 8 starting, even without others deciding not to play. It's all good tho, this year went south, just got to finish out the year playing hard. All that's happened this year should make these guys coming back mentally tougher & better team next year.

Nederland should also have 7 to 8 starters back the next couple years on both sides of the ball, plus all those other young guys that should be on "JV" are getting varsity game reps this year & a solid freshmen group will add solid depth. 

I also think the coaching staff believes in these players, will be very motivated to get back to winning games & back in the playoffs next year.

Stay positive with the young dawgs my friend, being negative & angry all the time will give you a stroke.

Mike Hiltz

Concerning the Nederland situation:  It's my understanding that 7 players may have quit.  2 may have went to Memorial, 2 may have went to Kelly and 2 may have went to Orangefield.  And for the reason:  I understand that it may be due to the HC playing favorites.  Maybe someone here can confirm or deny any of this.

This group of kids are young and still trying to catch up to the speed of the Varsity game ( Some better than others), but the biggest concern for me is the attitude of the players. I've seen multiple kids throw/slam helmets with no correction from coaches and very poor body language coming from Seniors which is terrible leadership for the under classman. I understand that emotions get high and this season is aggravating for the kids, but attitude and body language by upper classman ultimately feeds into the under classman and I'm sure that's not the direction this program wants to head.  

They question is what changes need to be done to correct some of these issues,  yes we all have opinions @spidersal, but what needs to be done for them to win?   I think each kid has a certain talent that can be contributed to the team,  are they young? Yes but leadership starts at the TOP ( coaches).  MY OPINION IS it’s not about the kids no more, and that goes to any other sport.  If you never put in a position to win then what you expect.  I put my whole life savings if you get new staff with a desire and passion for the game, you will see a HUGE difference and this is speaking from EXPERIENCE!!!   Sooo let’s talk about what changes need that needs to Happen?  

4 hours ago, bulldawg64 said:

Favoritism  goes with all schools  ever since i last played sports 41 years ago its just the way it goes sometimes it sucks but it is true. 

I appreciate you stating your opinion.  But let's expand on that to see what you think of this:  Do you think that favoritism plays any part with any coach that would be considered a championship-type coach?   Why I say this is because favoritism connotates playing kids based on something other than they deserve it.  So, can a coach be a championship coach doing this?  

3 hours ago, NHSBulldogs2 said:

They question is what changes need to be done to correct some of these issues,  yes we all have opinions @spidersal, but what needs to be done for them to win?   I think each kid has a certain talent that can be contributed to the team,  are they young? Yes but leadership starts at the TOP ( coaches).  MY OPINION IS it’s not about the kids no more, and that goes to any other sport.  If you never put in a position to win then what you expect.  I put my whole life savings if you get new staff with a desire and passion for the game, you will see a HUGE difference and this is speaking from EXPERIENCE!!!   Sooo let’s talk about what changes need that needs to Happen?  

I like what you have stated.  It's easy to complain but hard to offer solutions.  But there's the rub.  People have differing opinions on what the problems are therefore they have different opinions on the solutions.  My thoughts on the problem is well documented.  I'm just trying to decide when the best time to make personal contact with the Superintendent and board members and express my opinion.  I suggest anyone that feels the same way I do make the same contacts and express those opinions.  And to be fair, if you don't think changes need to be made then make the contacts and express your opinion.  

PS -- Just to reiterate for everyone here -- I'll never blame the kids!!

I sure dont remember seeing all this griping when Nederland was on a 30 plus district game winning streak. But truth is we dont have our "stud" like we normally do and since we've never had a decent QB since Sage Seay ( Cunningham wasnt too bad come to think of it) we are struggling. But hey wasnt our 2010 team young and 2011 and 2012 were dominate years? Itll be alright

16 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

I sure dont remember seeing all this griping when Nederland was on a 30 plus district game winning streak. But truth is we dont have our "stud" like we normally do and since we've never had a decent QB since Sage Seay ( Cunningham wasnt too bad come to think of it) we are struggling. But hey wasnt our 2010 team young and 2011 and 2012 were dominate years? Itll be alright

With all due respect, I'm not sure a statement of this nature can be made.  Wasn't there a different coach there at that time?  

36 minutes ago, Bulldogpower said:

Point taken, but even in 2010 Nederland fielded a good team. Nothing great playoffs-wise, but they were competent. And I agree that in the stretch of Nederland being “the team to beat” in our district from 2011-2015, the 2010 team is the year that the arrow started ticking up.  But even if the 2010 team had some weaknesses, it certainly never suffered from the morale problems that seem to be going on right now. They even beat PNG (who, that year, had an at-least temporarily D1 qb, one of the top 3 RBs based on yardage in the state, and went to the 3rd round only to lose to Manvel). So if 2010 is a “weak” Nederland team, this one’s got some real issues. 

I know this is probably mean but when it comes to the legacy teams, you know the PNG's, Nederland,s, WOS, Silsbee', Jasper's, etc. The ones who make the different rankings based as much on their name as their ability. I personally like to see one or two of them fall on their arse every once in a while. It brings them back to earth for a little while. I tend to root for the underdog. I guess that comes with being a 55 year Lumberton fan.

1 hour ago, raideroldtimer said:

I know this is probably mean but when it comes to the legacy teams, you know the PNG's, Nederland,s, WOS, Silsbee', Jasper's, etc. The ones who make the different rankings based as much on their name as their ability. I personally like to see one or two of them fall on their arse every once in a while. It brings them back to earth for a little while. I tend to root for the underdog. I guess that comes with being a 55 year Lumberton fan.

Being a Lumberton fan is a good thing right now. They look great.

Hey, if this continues to linger on, then let's raise a few flags.  I have only been around Nederland since the mid to late 90's and I've never seen it quite this bad.  I really don't think it's time to round up the usual suspects yet.  You have to look hard at these games, but you can see the fight and determination of not many but a few.  And that's all it takes some time.  Come on dogs let's get a win.