will Kelly ever apply to be in-stated into the UIL.....

Guest FPHS 78

i didnt think they were letting anymore do it.....good question for coop.......hypothetically, if they did, they'd have to play up in 4a

i'd like to see em play 3a uil......maybe we'd be able to get a full schedule!

Guest FPHS 78

hmmm...found this

Private schools can apply for UIL membership if they meet certain eligibility requirements. One states that schools cannot join if they have been suspended or had their participation "revoked for violating rules or codes by another league similar to the UIL," according to the UIL constitution.

and

Texas is one of only three states with separate athletic championships for public and private schools. TAPPS has about 250 member schools. The UIL has about 1,300.

the 2 jesuit schools that play uil were judged to be too big to compete in tapps.

i dont see it happening

They could apply all they want.... they would never get in.

The only reason Strake and Dallas Jesuit were let in is that their size prohibited them from competing in Tapps.  The lawyers won the battle over the UIL.... plain and simple...  I think the only way this could EVER happen is if some sort of voucher system was put in place...  and all schools had "open" attendance districts.

Guest FPHS 78

They could apply all they want.... they would never get in.

The only reason Strake and Dallas Jesuit were let in is that their size prohibited them from competing in Tapps.  The lawyers won the battle over the UIL.... plain and simple...  I think the only way this could EVER happen is if some sort of voucher system was put in place...  and all schools had "open" attendance districts.

bmt public schools pretty much have open attendance..m/m transfers,etc..call it whatever  was reading on tapps board and if i got this right

-any school would have to play 4a or 5a

-there would be attendance zones for the private school..to play for kelly, you'd have to live in the kelly zone for a year before playing  (wonder how'd that would work, seeing how there are no real zones in bmt), plus there are Catholic feeder schools in orange and p.a.

-i think coaches...the volunteers and others would have to be certified and full time.......that would bankrupt a small program

i like playing tapps, but with just 3 district games, wish we could play some more local teams in non district

It wouldn't be very practical.  The way they are set up now, they have the ability to field strong athletic teams while not being governed by typical transfer and zoning rules.  They are having a great year this year, with a legit chance of going all the way.  If Kelly were to go public, they'd get slaughtered.  Think of all the players they'd lose to zoning and tranfser rules.  They'd also probably be playing against 4a competition, which i feel would be a little too much for them this year, much less the year after they're depleted by going public.  I think that Kelly is in the best place they can be right now.  Why mess with a good thing? 

On a side note, i would like to see kelly play some of the big names in the lower classifications in the years to come (WOS, EC, maybe even a lumberton or nederland).  That would be a lot of fun to watch.

That's why Kelly gets no respect, even when they are good(like this year)  We don't know who they play and have no way to compare their achievements.   Even one game this year against a decent 3A or 4A program would have given us some idea if they are what you think they are.

They played 5A state ranked Sulphur this year and beat them!!!!!!!!!

Guest FPHS 78

That's why Kelly gets no respect, even when they are good(like this year)  We don't know who they play and have no way to compare their achievements.   Even one game this year against a decent 3A or 4A program would have given us some idea if they are what you think they are.

we can only play who will schedule us.

kelly beat

state ranked 5a Sulphur

trashed bridge city--ok so did everyone

beat 4a Houston Furr (going to playoffs)

gave hitchcock their only loss of the season (9-1) playoff bound

beat defending state champ St.Pius (at Pius, which is unheard of)

5 of the 9 teams they played are going to the playoffs...

maybe they'll realign the 3a districts..make em a little smaller , give em some open dates they need to fill

i didnt think they were letting anymore do it.....good question for coop.......hypothetically, if they did, they'd have to play up in 4a

i'd like to see em play 3a uil......maybe we'd be able to get a full schedule!

They would play in 5A just like The Strakes.  Again, the one on Bellaire and Gessner has 900 boys and they're in District 17 or 18 5A playing the Cy-Fair schools.  The reason they were put in 5A because they have no physical attendance zones, so therefore, they can recruit

we can only play who will schedule us.

kelly beat

state ranked 5a Sulphur

trashed bridge city--ok so did everyone

beat 4a Houston Furr (going to playoffs)

gave hitchcock their only loss of the season (9-1) playoff bound

beat defending state champ St.Pius (at Pius, which is unheard of)

5 of the 9 teams they played are going to the playoffs...

maybe they'll realign the 3a districts..make em a little smaller , give em some open dates they need to fill

I guess that's my point.  Are these teams really any good?  I hear Sulphur was one and done in the playoffs.  Hitchcock is 2A I think, and they barely beat Anahuac.  But they were good enough to beat Furr(6-4), who I hear really stinks.  I guess Pius must be pretty good.  Didn't they play someone else from around here?  Vidor maybe? 

Guest FPHS 78

They would play in 5A just like The Strakes.  Again, the one on Bellaire and Gessner has 900 boys and they're in District 17 or 18 5A playing the Cy-Fair schools.  The reason they were put in 5A because they have no physical attendance zones, so therefore, they can recruit

again, sfa, you're wrong

they'd play 4a and they would have to have attendance zones, a player outside of the attendance zone wouldnt be able to play for a year.

the reason strakes were allowed in uil was because tapps "deemed" them to large for playing other Tapps schools

Guest FPHS 78

I guess that's my point.  Are these teams really any good?   I hear Sulphur was one and done in the playoffs.  Hitchcock is 2A I think, and they barely beat Anahuac.  But they were good enough to beat Furr(6-4), who I hear really stinks.   I guess Pius must be pretty good.  Didn't they play someone else from around here?  Vidor maybe?   

ask that about alot of teams...how good is WB?  who have they played? atascocita,lee,kingwood,pam,the view.not exactly the strongest schedule.

yes, pius beat bay city and vidor....vidor did knock there qb loopy for about 3 weeks

i'm happy with em in tapps, just wish we could play some more area teams

That's exactly why there is so little interest in WB on this board.  You can't tell how good(or bad) we are because you don't know these teams.  At least we play Central/Ozen, which gives posters some indication of our relative strength.  Is it really impossible for Kelly to get Silsbee/WOS/Ozen/Central/Jasper/EC on your schedule?  Why is that?

Guest FPHS 78

That's exactly why there is so little interest in WB on this board.  You can't tell how good(or bad) we are because you don't know these teams.  At least we play Central/Ozen, which gives posters some indication of our relative strength.   Is it really impossible for Kelly to get Silsbee/WOS/Ozen/Central/Jasper/EC on your schedule?   Why is that?

i wish i knew.......coop says he talks to coach long alot, maybe he could answer......i know if long is willing to play 5a sulphur, he'd play any of these guys...heck, we only ended up with 9 games this year.  i dont know how many open dates these area teams have

again, sfa, you're wrong

they'd play 4a and they would have to have attendance zones, a player outside of the attendance zone wouldnt be able to play for a year.

the reason strakes were allowed in uil was because tapps "deemed" them to large for playing other Tapps schools

Well if you don't believe me, google the whole Strake acceptance deal in the UIL.  I remember reading that the Houston one had 900 boys which would put them in 3A.  The UIL doubled their number, which put them in 4A but because they had no assigned attendance zones, and the ability to recruit, they were put in 5A.....

Let's set the record straight.

Kelly used to play the PNGs and Jaspers and other teams from this area.  At the time, they were getting the snot kicked out of them.  So they dropped back and played smaller teams to improve their overall record.

This year they actually have a good team.  However, don't play in TAAPS and complain that you get no respect.  We know you have a good team.  Win your state title and we'll all continue to debate the "How good.....?" question.

As for scheduling Sulphur, its because both teams had open dates with no one left to schedule and the coaches knew each other and agreed to a 2 year deal.

Maybe in the future Long will schedule WB, Ozen, Central, Nederland, Lumberton, etc. and it can be settled on the field.

Guest FPHS 78

Let's set the record straight.

Kelly used to play the PNGs and Jaspers and other teams from this area.  At the time, they were getting the snot kicked out of them.  So they dropped back and played smaller teams to improve their overall record.

This year they actually have a good team.  However, don't play in TAAPS and complain that you get no respect.  We know you have a good team.  Win your state title and we'll all continue to debate the "How good.....?" question.

As for scheduling Sulphur, its because both teams had open dates with no one left to schedule and the coaches knew each other and agreed to a 2 year deal.

Maybe in the future Long will schedule WB, Ozen, Central, Nederland, Lumberton, etc. and it can be settled on the field.

i said i wish we played more local 3a teams....our record against 3A is pretty even over the years........in regards to respect....real football people realize Kelly has a very good team this year, talent is talent be it UIL or Tapps....... others just have a thing against Catholic schools and just dont want to see it

That's exactly why there is so little interest in WB on this board.  You can't tell how good(or bad) we are because you don't know these teams.  At least we play Central/Ozen, which gives posters some indication of our relative strength.   Is it really impossible for Kelly to get Silsbee/WOS/Ozen/Central/Jasper/EC on your schedule?   Why is that?

Kelly scrimmaged Silsbee and handled them very well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder