Guest GoStangs

Who is the best of the best?  

1. 1. Who is the best of the best?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hebert - Hands Down!

Moseley was a great high school athlete but that entire team was talented. Moseley won the State track meet all by himself his Senior year. 100, 220 (that's yards for those of you under 40), and the Long Jump. Hebert was strong at every position - size speed and great coaching staff.

Speaking of great coaching staffs - TJ had a stable full that went on to success at other schools. Dodge is coaching 25 years later running the same base offense and still kicks butt!

WOS did have the greatest defense i've ever seen in High School football - without question.

BC was a one man show! Boy, though, for the time, what a man!

• 2 weeks later...

Hebert - Hands Down!

Moseley was a great high school athlete but that entire team was talented. Moseley won the State track meet all by himself his Senior year. 100' date=' 220 (that's yards for those of you under 40), and the Long Jump. Hebert was strong at every position - size speed and great coaching staff.

Speaking of great coaching staffs - TJ had a stable full that went on to success at other schools. Dodge is coaching 25 years later running the same base offense and still kicks butt!

WOS did have the greatest defense i've ever seen in High School football - without question.

BC was a one man show! Boy, though, for the time, what a man![/quote'] Trying to remember the other RB Hebert had that year?

• 1 month later...

I know they arent' in the Golden Triangle area, but I have to give some recognition to the Rodney Thomas led Groveton Indians of '89 and '90. Hull-Daisetta had the unfortunate honor of meeting them in the playoffs, and I'm telling you this team was unreal. We had handsdown our best team since the state chamipionship team in '79 and they beat us to the tune of 55-13. Back to back 16-0 state championship seasons and a record of 7-0 against 3A/4A schools. I know they were a tiny 2A team, but they were unstoppable. I think they had 5 or 6 players go D-I off that team, including Rodney Thomas All-American RB at A&M and Houston Oiler/Titan RB.

I'm not saying they would have beat any or all the teams on this poll (especially the WOS team of '87 which got my vote), but I guarentee they would have gave them a great game.

Where is Groveton? I dont remember that team? They did sound good though. I dont think they would have gave WOS a good game' date=' not that team(87). We were pretty good. :wink:[/quote']

If you ever drive to Dallas by taking Hwy 287 out of Woodville (to hit IH-45), Groveton is about 40 miles up the road or about half way to IH-45. If that doesn't do it for you, draw a line between Huntsville and Lufkin and Groveton is about in the middle.

• 2 months later...

Played against 87 WOS. Would have to say the best i've ever seen. Won't say what team, but we had a lot of "spanded anckles" at half time. But in the non-champion teams West Brook had one that lost in the 1st round to Katy if i remember correctly. They had more team speed than i have ever seen, i believe Marlon Ramsey played on that team and was just one of many with speed.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86