Best Area Team... Ever

Guest GoStangs

Who is the best of the best?  

1. 1. Who is the best of the best?

Newton. I cant remember what year it was, but I remember watching them Ozen a while back at Lamar and Newton was OUTSTANDING. It could have ben the 98 team. 1 thing I do rememebr is their QB. He played both ways and caught the game winning pick, and threw for like 2 td's and rushed for a couple, I believe he was #7.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Played against 87 WOS.  Would have to say the best i've ever seen.  Won't say what team, but we had a lot of "spanded anckles" at half time. But in the non-champion teams West Brook had one that lost in the 1st round to Katy if i remember correctly. They had more team speed than i have ever seen, i believe Marlon Ramsey played on that team and was just one of many with speed.

West Brook has only met Katy twice in the playoffs. Once in the 1994 5A-1 Quarterfinals to the tune of a 31-28 loss, and the other was in the 2005 5A-2 Regional Semifinals in a 42-8 whipping. Maybe we'll have something for Katy this year in the preseason. ;D

I would have to say the Coldspring Trojan teams of the 90's had a pretty good run.  In 92 we ran into a South Lake Carrol team that should have been in 4A or higher in the State Title game.  Then in 97 we played Sealy in the semi finals a game we should have won.  Sealy at the time was in the midst of winning 4 strait 3A titles.  We also had some very deep runs into the playoffs in between those years.  Many district titles over that time frame as well. 

The real problem with questions like this is you have to specify criteria.  When you say "best" do you mean most successful?  Do you consider only performance within same classification?  Are we talking about hypothetical head to head play? 

For example:

Many consider the 1983 Daingerfield team to be one of the "best" in history.  They were certainly one of the most dominant. (16-0, 14 shutouts, 8 total points allowed, defense was NEVER scored on).  But if you lined them up against  Converse Judson or Midland Lee (the 83 5A title game participants) do you think they would have won?

I remember hearing about that Daingerfield team.  They were really good.  I would have to say they are one the states all time best.  Purely from a statistical stand point in class 3A.  I don't really understand why everyone wants to compare teams from different classifications.  It does not make sense.  Yeah some 3A teams could romp on some 4A teams, but the fact is the bigger classifications are bigger because they have a bigger pool of people to pull from.  We should be doing this by classification. 

Don't remember seeing the original poll but here are a list of my picks (thanks to wos87's research skills) You can put anyone of them at #1 and make a good argument on why they are the best ever.  I have them ranked by the difference between Points Scored (For) and Points Allowed.

1.Newton '05      14-0     45PF vs 9.9PA

2.PA Jef '44        13-1     34PF vs 3.7PA  10 shut outs

3.Newton '98      13-0     36PF vs 7.5PA

4.NED '57           14-0     30PF vs 3.8PA

5.Newton '74      14-1     33PF vs 7.1PA

6.Bridge City '66  13-1     33PF vs 6.9PA 

7.Hebert '76       15-0     33PF vs 8.2PA

8.WOS '87         15-0     28PF vs 5.8PA

9.PNG '75          14-1     24PF vs 7.6PA

10.PA Jef '29      10-1-2  19PF vs 2.4PA Co Champs

11.WOS '86        13-2     23PF vs 9.0PA

Honerable mention

PNG '46           11-0    39PF vs 2.0PA * 7 shut outs

farthest they could go was A Regional Final game

Winning through adversity award would go to the '82 West Brook Bruins.  From past articles I get the feeling 'Remember the Titans' could have been called 'Remember the Bruins.' Coach Durley had his hands full!! Yet, they were able to Win a State Title!!

96 Coldspring Trojans 36.4pf vs. 11.4pa 12-2 record that year we also faced LaMarque who was the the 4A state champions back to back and Magnolia and Lumberton in 4A.  In the playoffs we played the likes of Newton, Sealy, Cameron, Center, and La Grange.  This has to be ranked right their amongst some of the best teams in the area. 

92 Trojan Team was very good also with 36.4pf vs 14.6pa 14-2 record.  This team played the likes of Center, Waco Robinson, Columbus, Bellville, Marble Falls, and South Lake Carrol.  The only loss in the playoffs was in the state title game to Carrol who should have been in 4A.  Columbus had the Schobel brothers who are now pretty good players in the NFL.  I think this team also needs to be put in their with the best in the area as well. 

Last years Lumberton team was pretty good but this years team will be alot better . So I go with the 2008 L-train for best team ever.

Is this comedy central?

Guest tigersvoice

Last years Lumberton team was pretty good but this years team will be alot better . So I go with the 2008 L-train for best team ever.

HOMER! :D :D

I think raidernaytion may still be in "Playoffs Shock" from the 2007 season. ::)

96 Coldspring Trojans 36.4pf vs. 11.4pa 12-2 record that year we also faced LaMarque who was the the 4A state champions back to back and Magnolia and Lumberton in 4A.  In the playoffs we played the likes of Newton, Sealy, Cameron, Center, and La Grange.   This has to be ranked right their amongst some of the best teams in the area. 

92 Trojan Team was very good also with 36.4pf vs 14.6pa 14-2 record.  This team played the likes of Center, Waco Robinson, Columbus, Bellville, Marble Falls, and South Lake Carrol.  The only loss in the playoffs was in the state title game to Carrol who should have been in 4A.  Columbus had the Schobel brothers who are now pretty good players in the NFL.  I think this team also needs to be put in their with the best in the area as well. 

Being that you are talking about a team outside of the Golden Triangle. I will have to include

the Sealy Tiger's from "Title Town USA". Best I recall back in the late 1990's they put together a 64-0 run

and claimed 4 consecutive State Titles.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ProfessorMandela12
    Newest Member
    ProfessorMandela12