THSCA Interiview with Crosby HC Jerry Prieto

Matthew328

Lol, first thing I noticed beside Stepp and Coach P kind of look like brothers is how much his interview skills have improved since the Riordan days. Bravo on continued perfection of your craft. 

Stepp mentioned he talked to Coach Poth who’s probably my favorite coach on the staff. He does very well with this generation of kids but still coaches in the trucker hat with the Pony cleats and Bike shorts style. If Crosby has another great year or two and the defense plays well I don’t think he sticks around much longer because he would probably be offered a head coaching job somewhere. I hope he stays at least a couple more years though, because Coach P has given him access to some legit personnel. Like Coach P said, we’re young on defense, but I bet most of those kids played in at least 10 games last year. I’m very interested to see end product he produces. I think Crosby may have the personnel for the defense to be ‘14/‘15 level over the next two years. 

Coach P said Crosby’s offense would be “dynamic” bringing back 7 starters including Myles this year. He also mentioned he has two “hard-running” underclassmen backs this year and that our TE(H receiver in Crosby) has taken a big leap forward. Translation, all of them will be on the field. I’ll say this year’s team probably won’t be like some of the “spread you out and run past you” Crosby teams you’ve seen in the past. I think there’s a good chance the Crosby offense averages over 300ypg rushing this year. 

Listening to the district teams being named off I went and looked at when we play everybody and realized Crosby has a tough schedule the last five weeks of the year. Not because of the opponent but because we probably won’t play a game within 30 points. Crosby’s average margin of victory over the last two years of district play has been 31.6ppg and we’ve done ok but we’ve also never seen a first round opponent like we’ll see over the next two years. 

Exactly. I’m expecting us to get McKinney North in the first round . Last year in district play MN only lost to Highland Park by 2 points and then knocked off Longview two weeks later in the last game of the season. Their big 6’4” QB was district newcomer of the year as a sophomore last year they have a nice 6’2” receiver that already has an FBS offer. They may have finished 2nd in our district last year? 

I think we would get Frisco High in the second round. They were 10-2 last year. Their district loss was to Lovejoy and their playoff loss was to SOC by 11. They  don’t run it exclusively but they also run this slot-T-ish type offense the majority of the time. If we somehow got through that we would most likely get preseason #1 Longview. Absolutely brutal but there’s some decent history of Houston area teams making deep runs and even to title games in region 2.

So yeah, we won’t see a single pushover. I actually think it would be easier to make a regional final playing from the second spot in our district. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Exactly. I’m expecting us to get McKinney North in the first round . Last year in district play MN only lost to Highland Park by 2 points and then knocked off Longview two weeks later in the last game of the season. Their big 6’4” QB was district newcomer of the year as a sophomore last year they have a nice 6’2” receiver that already has an FBS offer. They may have finished 2nd in our district last year? 

I think we would get Frisco High in the second round. They were 10-2 last year. Their district loss was to Lovejoy and their playoff loss was to SOC by 11. They  don’t run it exclusively but they also run this slot-T-ish type offense the majority of the time. If we somehow got through that we would most likely get preseason #1 Longview. Absolutely brutal but there’s some decent history of Houston area teams making deep runs and even to title games in region 2.

So yeah, we won’t see a single pushover. I actually think it would be easier to make a regional final playing from the second spot in our district. 

Not really, considering you would have to go through Tyler/Lancaster in the 1st round, Mansfield Timberview in the 2nd, and Frisco Lone Star in the 3rd.

5 minutes ago, pdawg119 said:

Not really, considering you would have to go through Tyler/Lancaster in the 1st round, Mansfield Timberview in the 2nd, and Frisco Lone Star in the 3rd.

Both roads would be tough, but I get what he's saying though. Playing from the 2nd seed you wouldn't see Longview til Regional Final if you survive the first 3 weeks of the playoffs.

Speaking of Longview: I saw on another site that the stud WR from Waxahachie has transferred to Longview, that'll make 3 D1 WR prospects for em this season to go along with their stud RB who has a ton of offers just from this off-season and what should be yet another stout defense. 

16 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lol, first thing I noticed beside Stepp and Coach P kind of look like brothers is how much his interview skills have improved since the Riordan days. Bravo on continued perfection of your craft. 

Stepp mentioned he talked to Coach Poth who’s probably my favorite coach on the staff. He does very well with this generation of kids but still coaches in the trucker hat with the Pony cleats and Bike shorts style. If Crosby has another great year or two and the defense plays well I don’t think he sticks around much longer because he would probably be offered a head coaching job somewhere. I hope he stays at least a couple more years though, because Coach P has given him access to some legit personnel. Like Coach P said, we’re young on defense, but I bet most of those kids played in at least 10 games last year. I’m very interested to see end product he produces. I think Crosby may have the personnel for the defense to be ‘14/‘15 level over the next two years. 

Coach P said Crosby’s offense would be “dynamic” bringing back 7 starters including Myles this year. He also mentioned he has two “hard-running” underclassmen backs this year and that our TE(H receiver in Crosby) has taken a big leap forward. Translation, all of them will be on the field. I’ll say this year’s team probably won’t be like some of the “spread you out and run past you” Crosby teams you’ve seen in the past. I think there’s a good chance the Crosby offense averages over 300ypg rushing this year. 

Listening to the district teams being named off I went and looked at when we play everybody and realized Crosby has a tough schedule the last five weeks of the year. Not because of the opponent but because we probably won’t play a game within 30 points. Crosby’s average margin of victory over the last two years of district play has been 31.6ppg and we’ve done ok but we’ve also never seen a first round opponent like we’ll see over the next two years. 

Coach Poth is my GUY....great dude.....known him since his days at Sul Ross

9 hours ago, pdawg119 said:

MN had some injuries last year, there’s a good chance they put it together and finish 2nd behind Longview if they stay healthy this season though. There won’t be much difference from 2-4 in their district. JT and Lancaster are better at the skill positions than MN but they’re both basically spread-run teams like Texas High and Texas City which Crosby has defended pretty well lately. MN is better at the line of scrimmage than both of them though, especially on the offensive side. I watched their game against Longview the other day and MN ran it well on the Lobo defense. MN had the leading rusher in that district last year which also said something about their o-line. 

Lone Star is going to be very good as usual but there’s no guarantee they’re winning that district over Frisco. Frisco played 5A-D2 last year but is now the second largest school in that district behind Reedy. The playoffs are about matchups and Frisco runs a similar style offense to one Crosby hasn’t had much success defending. Assuming Lone Star and Frisco finish 1-2 in the district it will be easier for Crosby to make a regional final from the #2 hole just like it was in ‘20.

5 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

MN had some injuries last year, there’s a good chance they put it together and finish 2nd behind Longview if they stay healthy this season though. There won’t be much difference from 2-4 in their district. JT and Lancaster are better at the skill positions than MN but they’re both basically spread-run teams like Texas High and Texas City which Crosby has defended pretty well lately. MN is better at the line of scrimmage than both of them though, especially on the offensive side. I watched their game against Longview the other day and MN ran it well on the Lobo defense. MN had the leading rusher in that district last year which also said something about their o-line. 

Lone Star is going to be very good as usual but there’s no guarantee they’re winning that district over Frisco. Frisco played 5A-D2 last year but is now the second largest school in that district behind Reedy. The playoffs are about matchups and Frisco runs a similar style offense to one Crosby hasn’t had much success defending. Assuming Lone Star and Frisco finish 1-2 in the district it will be easier for Crosby to make a regional final from the #2 hole just like it was in ‘20.

Lone Star is also going to start seeing their depth get sliced into with the opening of Panther Creek HS which is almost exclusively pulling from Lone Star