Top Gun Maverick

Ty Cobb

19 hours ago, Ty Cobb said:

If you haven’t seen it yet, you need to. Very good movie. The writers did a good job of keeping the original movie and it’s characters yet moving to the next generation. Very emotional movie. 

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks like a good one, and hopefully concentrates on a good storyline and not wokeism!  I’ve had about all the woke 💩 I can handle.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Thanks for the heads up.  It looks like a good one, and hopefully concentrates on a good storyline and not wokeism!  I’ve had about all the woke 💩 I can handle.

No “wokeism” at all. Good storyline tying the original to this one. Very clean movie. No sex scenes and very few bad words. There would be a lot more of them if I was in one of those jets. There’s even some comedic relief thrown into this emotional movie. I found myself fighting back tears on multiple occasions.

Cruise is probably politically, personally and religiously goofy in my opinion.

But the guy can act and has been in several entertaining movies. The ones that I think of are such as….
Taps

Top Gun

Cocktail

Young Guns

Rain Man

Born on the Fourth of July

A Few Good Men

Jerry McGuire

Minority Report

The Last Samurai

War of the Worlds

Jack Reacher

And other good ones. 

18 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Cruise is probably politically, personally and religiously goofy in my opinion.

But the guy can act and has been in several entertaining movies. The ones that I think of are such as….
Taps

Top Gun

Cocktail

Young Guns

Rain Man

Born on the Fourth of July

A Few Good Men

Jerry McGuire

Minority Report

The Last Samurai

War of the Worlds

Jack Reacher

And other good ones. 

I did like Cocktail. Also liked Vanilla Sky. 

They’re all kooks, but can act. That’s why I don’t believe anything they say politically. It’s all an act. 

Not many actors that can make me want to see a show on name alone.  And then, only maybe.  Cruise is one.  I like the action types.  Gerard Butler in the “Falling” series.  Jason Statham in “The Transporter” series.  Liam Neeson in the “Taken” series (first one great then downhill).  Old ones would include William Powell in “The Thin Man” series, and John Wayne in anything.

13 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Not many actors that can make me want to see a show on name alone.  And then, only maybe.  Cruise is one.  I like the action types.  Gerard Butler in the “Falling” series.  Jason Statham in “The Transporter” series.  Liam Neeson in the “Taken” series (first one great then downhill).  Old ones would include William Powell in “The Thin Man” series, and John Wayne in anything.

As a rule, sequels are downhill. This sounds like maybe the exception. 

13 minutes ago, baddog said:

As a rule, sequels are downhill. This sounds like maybe the exception. 

Agreed.  Sequels rarely come up to expectations.  Then there’s the James Bond films.  They were the exception, lol.

55 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

The sequels that comes to mind as an improvement over the first is Aliens over the original Alien and Terminator 2 over Terminator.  

Godfather 2, Rocky 2, and Rocky 4 are all better than the originals to me. The originals are still great though. Haven't seen the new Top Gun yet.

A remake of it original movie, not a sequel, “basically” using the original script. 

Such as….

Dune

Red Dawn

True Grit

The Thing

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Miracle on 34th Street

Midway

Any number of movies named Godzilla or King Kong

etc.

But, like sequels, sometime the remake is better or more entertaining. Scarface and The Thing come to mind as great remakes. 

17 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

A remake of it original movie, not a sequel, “basically” using the original script. 

Such as….

Dune

Red Dawn

True Grit

The Thing

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Miracle on 34th Street

Midway

Any number of movies named Godzilla or King Kong

etc.

But, like sequels, sometime the remake is better or more entertaining. Scarface and The Thing come to mind as great remakes. 

I never would have thought a remake of True Grit or The Magnificent Seven would have even come close to the original but both were excellent.

6 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Karate Kid II for example or that New Ghost Busters with completely different characters 

I know what a remake is, Dumb and Dumber had one, but it also had a sequel, so I was asking which movie mentioned was a remake.