Top Gun Maverick

Ty Cobb

8 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I never would have thought a remake of True Grit or The Magnificent Seven would have even come close to the original but both were excellent.

I was blown away by Magnificent Seven remake.  I’m watching, expecting a dud - surprise - surprise, it was a great one.  Denzel Washington in another guy I expect to have great movies, and I’m rarely disappointed.  Man on Fire had me cheering him over & over.

Oh, the Death Wish series/movies.  I’m all over them.  Remake with Bruce Willis was good too.

13 hours ago, baddog said:

For me, it was Dumb and Dumber and Back to the Future. Jaws was bad too. 

Dumb and Dumber - I need a sociologist to explain that one to me.  I’ve to many (younger) friends talk about how good it was, and I like a good comedy.  One guy loaned me the DVD & I sit down ready for some belly laughs.  I suffered through a little over half way before I cut it off.  Never laughed.  Has to be a generational thing since so many liked it.  Made me feel old & out of touch.  Why didn’t I find it funny?  Last good funny movie I saw, We’re the Millers.  That one got Hagar’s belly shaking, lol.

12 hours ago, Hagar said:

Dumb and Dumber - I need a sociologist to explain that one to me.  I’ve to many (younger) friends talk about how good it was, and I like a good comedy.  One guy loaned me the DVD & I sit down ready for some belly laughs.  I suffered through a little over half way before I cut it off.  Never laughed.  Has to be a generational thing since so many liked it.  Made me feel old & out of touch.  Why didn’t I find it funny?  Last good funny movie I saw, We’re the Millers.  That one got Hagar’s belly shaking, lol.

I liked the first Dumb and Dumber. The sequel was terrible and the remake isn’t even worth mentioning. We’re the Millers was a good one.

Been a long time since I went to the movies. Last movie I remember going to a theater to see was Spiderman. I took my youngest son with me so that people would think he wanted to see it. Spiderman was my favorite comic book as a kid, so it was me who wanted to go. Now, I hear you purchase tickets on line. Man, I need to get out more. Lol.

12 minutes ago, baddog said:

I liked the first Dumb and Dumber. The sequel was terrible and the remake isn’t even worth mentioning. We’re the Millers was a good one.

Been a long time since I went to the movies. Last movie I remember going to a theater to see was Spiderman. I took my youngest son with me so that people would think he wanted to see it. Spiderman was my favorite comic book as a kid, so it was me who wanted to go. Now, I hear you purchase tickets on line. Man, I need to get out more. Lol.

First, and last movie I saw in a long time…. Took G’son to see Kung Fu Panda.  He & I loved it.   😂😂🤣👽🤣😂😂

Won’t be long you’ll need to get on line to go to the bathroom.

I saw Top Gun Maverick tonight.

It was certainly entertaining, especially if you saw the first and realize the number of references to Top Gun. I mean from the opening scene until the closing credits,….

It even opened to the same music and the same words on the screen or it explains…..  in 1969 but Navy established a school for there top 1% of its pilots….

“Today, the Navy calls it Fighter Weapons School.

The flyers call it……… 

(Next slide/page) TOP GUN”

Then it breaks into Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins with a virtual remake of the opening scenes on the carrier deck but launching F 18s instead of F 14s. I mean the same angle on the cameras, steam coming out of the catapult and blowing across the deck, the bar/sled being hooked up to the nose wheel, the salute from the pilot, the takeoff, etc. I mean if you did not know where you were at and saw the opening couple of minutes, you might think you were seeing the original Top Gun.  I thought that touch was outstanding. 

Instead of beach volleyball its beach football. Instead of Iceman being the over the top “I’m better than the rest of you”white guy,  it’s Hangman.

But no spoiler alerts from me. I will say that if you’re watching the last 10 minutes or so of the movie and you can’t figure out what is going to happen, you haven’t been paying attention much…. :)

Overall it was a very solid and entertaining movie. It was not in my top 10 or 20 greatest all time movies or anything approaching that but it is worth seeing at the theater. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from watching Top Gun. I have to say it’s the best movie I have seen since “No Country for Old Men”. It was a nice Father’s Day gift from my wife and I enjoyed the experience. I,too, won’t spoil it for anyone. I’ll just say it has some great jet flying scenes.

17 hours ago, baddog said:

Just got home from watching Top Gun. I have to say it’s the best movie I have seen since “No Country for Old Men”. It was a nice Father’s Day gift from my wife and I enjoyed the experience. I,too, won’t spoil it for anyone. I’ll just say it has some great jet flying scenes.

One of my favorites.