Lumberton has gone VIRAL

1 minute ago, BEARCPA said:

Boutte never made his teams cower in a huddle along the sidelines. He spread his guys out with a lead because he knew his ballhandlers were better than the other team's defenders. Apples and oranges. 

Boutte stalled one time being down 2 points before,  the defense got confused and a player came out and gave them a layup and Ozen ended up winning by 5. 

1 hour ago, AFanInTheStands said:

Huntington won the 2nd game by 20+...straight from a player who competed in that game

Actually Huntington got 2 players back from injury and won the second game by 5. They went on a little run and won 6 out of their last 7.They had lost to Woodville by 37 in a tournament earlier in the year. Woodville ended up as runner up in the district and Huntington tied for 4th. 

2 hours ago, BEARCPA said:

Boutte never made his teams cower in a huddle along the sidelines. He spread his guys out with a lead because he knew his ballhandlers were better than the other team's defenders. Apples and oranges. 

Boutee also has UNBELIEVABLE talent.  NBA talent & countless college basketball players.   They were rarely out-talented on the hardwood.  They could spread you & use that incredible talent...if you tried to chase them around the half court. 

They use a play clock in football for a reason.  They use a shot clock in basketball for a reason.  13 states already have implemented a shot clock.  About time the rest (including Texas) get out of the stone ages.  

Stalling is stalling no matter the form.  

38 minutes ago, TheDream34 said:

Boutee also has UNBELIEVABLE talent.  NBA talent & countless college basketball players.   They were rarely out-talented on the hardwood.  They could spread you & use that incredible talent...if you tried to chase them around the half court. 

They use a play clock in football for a reason.  They use a shot clock in basketball for a reason.  13 states already have implemented a shot clock.  About time the rest (including Texas) get out of the stone ages.  

Stalling is stalling no matter the form.  

I’m not in favor of the stall but a guy named Dean Smith invented it and rode it into the Hall of Fame. He had a pretty good player or two. I think the spread has a place in today’s game. I can think of several ways to attack this circle the wagon offense but they would probably go viral also 😂

7 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

That is not a new innovation. That is trash.  That's why it went viral.  it makes the team look bad, lowers morale among the players.  Nobody wants to duck into a huddle and appear scared.  

Lol it’s called stalling, so I guess when other teams are doing it they are scared lol get out of here, a stall is a stall and it went viral because the coach thought outside of the box. 

2 minutes ago, bigboss667 said:

Lol it’s called stalling, so I guess when other teams are doing it they are scared lol get out of here, a stall is a stall and it went viral because the coach thought outside of the box. 

Spreading the floor to get the defense to come out and guard when you have the lead is not the same thing as to what Lumberton ran last Friday night. They never had the lead.

To hold the ball while trailing by 10 points is not trying to win the game. It's just doing what they can from not getting beat 123-62 like last time. That's really all that was about.

15 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Spreading the floor to get the defense to come out and guard when you have the lead is not the same thing as to what Lumberton ran last Friday night. They never had the lead.

To hold the ball while trailing by 10 points is not trying to win the game. It's just doing what they can from not getting beat 123-62 like last time. That's really all that was about.

They never did down 10 points, it was a 5-2 ball game when they did it. 

Now that the national organization of high school ball has endorsed a 35 second shot clock for the 22/23 season we're going to see more states adopt it.  Texas, being a big and important public school basketball state will come under a lot of pressure from inside and outside.  I think it's inevitable certainly by the end of the decade.  I say go ahead and do it now.  Start a pilot with 6A district and post season play and then let it filter down.

I still say that the kids will love it, the parents and fans will love it and eventually even the coaches will love it.  The referees won't love it but they'll adapt.  The staff running the clock won't love it but they'll adapt as well.

I think a shot clock adds an interesting level of complexity to the game that high school kids will enjoy.  And really, 35 seconds is am eternity for some schools.  Of course it's easy for me to say being a Silsbee fan.  The Tigers get antsy if they don't get a shot off before 15 seconds - 3 to get it down the court and 10 or 12 to find somebody open.  

well even with 35 second shot clock

sounds like the time Lumberton took off clock was around 3 minutes 

with shot clock - they can hold ball 35 seconds every trip down and actually eat up more time over period of a game 

just 10 opportunities is 5 min 50 sec

so can still slow tempo with actually running a “stall” est clock up style of play

21 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

One thing is clear: We HAVE to outlaw the Slot-T in football. How DARE a team use an unconventional strategy! 

If the slot T involved handing the ball off and then surrounding the ball carrier for minutes at a time to run the clock out I would agree.  But in football you can knock the crap out of people to get to the ball.  In basketball you get called for bumping people and hand checks.

15 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Bingo.  Trading one embarrassment for another.  Personally, I’d prefer the 60 point loss.  People can look at the gap between the two teams and understand that.  I guess on paper, if one were into self-promotion, you could point to a 22-point loss and praise yourself for finding a way to keep things “close”.  

8 hours ago, The Observer said:

well even with 35 second shot clock

sounds like the time Lumberton took off clock was around 3 minutes 

with shot clock - they can hold ball 35 seconds every trip down and actually eat up more time over period of a game 

just 10 opportunities is 5 min 50 sec

so can still slow tempo with actually running a “stall” est clock up style of play

With your scenario though, Lumberton would have to attempt a shot and then play defense.  They would also have to break a press and probably turn the ball over multiple times resulting in numerous Silsbee points.  IMO, they should have just stalled the same way they did after this fiasco.  Pass and cut and spread the floor.  It seemed to work since they were losing that bad at the half.  

5 hours ago, catfever said:

With your scenario though, Lumberton would have to attempt a shot and then play defense.  They would also have to break a press and probably turn the ball over multiple times resulting in numerous Silsbee points.  IMO, they should have just stalled the same way they did after this fiasco.  Pass and cut and spread the floor.  It seemed to work since they were losing that bad at the half.  

i mean reality - teach team how to beat press - 19 turnovers off press is difference in game 

rebounds 29-28 L

fg% 40-39 L

3pt% 43-23 L

ft% 47-59 S

steals 3-19 S