Houston Booker T Washington Eagles

BADSANTA

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

Really?  Washington is a mystery to me.  They don't post highlight videos on MaxPreps.  You can see them as the "other" team on their opponents highlights but that's useless because it so unrepresentative. 

They have no common opponents with Silsbee.  I note one thing.  They beat 12th ranked Brazosport 82-79 while Silsbee beat No. 11 ranked Hardin Jefferson 77 - 53.  On the other hand Booker T seems to be ripping through their district opponents with more ease than Silsbee has.

I admit the matchup looks bad for Silsbee on paper simply because of height.  If it was just one 6'7 star wing it would be one thing, but two?  And it's not just Washington, on paper the Tigers don't match up particularly well against any of the other top 10 teams.  But the coaches around the state see something in them and really like them.  Silsbee is basically a bunch of guards who are almost interchangeable.  They sometimes lose the opening tip to much weaker district opponents.  But some of the Tiger guards are pretty strong guys and they don't really get pushed around inside as much as one would suppose.  They're a hard team to peg.  

Silsbee starts 6'4, 6'3, 6'2, 6'1, and 5'11. The bench is like 5'10, 5'11, 5'10, 6'5 and 6'3. Silsbee when they were winning state titles were all guards. Silsbee has played teams just as big but maybe not as skilled. Silsbee battled tested and there is nothing that makes up for that. 

Harris actually looked like he had grown maybe half an inch the last game. The 6`5 kid off the bench won't get minutes in a tight game. He ain't ready. Needs to work on his hands and get a little quicker. He's only a freshman, so there will be plenty of time to improve. Dean, who's 6`4, might see playing time.

If Silsbee can beat Westbrook, who has the size of a college team, they can take Washington if they're on their game.

Only other time Silsbee has played Washington that I'm aware of was Bush's last year. They got a better communications program that's getting them kids you'd normally see on Yates roster or something?

Washington has a magnet engineering program. There school was recently rebuilt.  All that is in their favor.  Yates was recently rebuilt.  They have their commonications dept.  Those other schools?  I've never seen Furr up close.  All these years and I don't know that area at all.  I just know it exists.  Worthing, Kashmere?  Most of the good students and athletes probably left.  Both schools have produced great students and athletes in the past.  And that is where they stay, in the past.  I know some professionals that came from Kashmere: teachers, preachers, petroleum engineers, computer scientists, etc.  I am seeing faces that I know.  Mickey Leland?  That is a new school.  I don't know where it is.  What does this have to do with this topic?  Everything.  The schools with something going for them may have a vibrant athletic program.  The schools that are struggling are just marking time athletically.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:54 PM, Kountzer said:

Washington has a magnet engineering program. There school was recently rebuilt.  All that is in their favor.  Yates was recently rebuilt.  They have their commonications dept.  Those other schools?  I've never seen Furr up close.  All these years and I don't know that area at all.  I just know it exists.  Worthing, Kashmere?  Most of the good students and athletes probably left.  Both schools have produced great students and athletes in the past.  And that is where they stay, in the past.  I know some professionals that came from Kashmere: teachers, preachers, petroleum engineers, computer scientists, etc.  I am seeing faces that I know.  Mickey Leland?  That is a new school.  I don't know where it is.  What does this have to do with this topic?  Everything.  The schools with something going for them may have a vibrant athletic program.  The schools that are struggling are just marking time athletically.

Furr is like 5 minutes west of  North Shore, and 5 minutes east of Wheatley. 5 minutes south of kashmere. It’s  pretty much in between north shore and Wheatley. It’s near the Budweiser plant right at the interchange of 610, HWY 90 & I 10.Their athletes PRIMARILY  come from the Clinton park , federal road , and pleasantville areas. That school was recently rebuilt. 

Mickey Leland  high school has been around for some years but without a team. They remodeled and shut HP Carter high school down and moved it there. That school is in 5th ward and very close to Wheatley. It’s One exit before downtown ..Greg street exit ..it’s on Greg st and Lyons Avenue.  

Y’all have to remember as far as enrollment HISD is a shrinking district , all of their schools with the exception of west side and Chavez were very old buildings in bad shape .. most of all the schools had to be rebuilt. So almost all of the schools were rebuilt recently 

On 2/4/2022 at 4:24 PM, Tigers94 said:

Harris actually looked like he had grown maybe half an inch the last game. The 6`5 kid off the bench won't get minutes in a tight game. He ain't ready. Needs to work on his hands and get a little quicker. He's only a freshman, so there will be plenty of time to improve. Dean, who's 6`4, might see playing time.

If Silsbee can beat Westbrook, who has the size of a college team, they can take Washington if they're on their game.

Only other time Silsbee has played Washington that I'm aware of was Bush's last year. They got a better communications program that's getting them kids you'd normally see on Yates roster or something?

I agree. I watched btw  and yates yesterday. Yates is pretty much the team silsbee was last year as far as depth ,youth and potential. They plated btw hard and well from start to finish, and could’ve  pulled it out.

BTW is tall , plays tough on both ends. They press on and off throughout the game , and drive hard to the basket . They also use  their length well underneath… their weakness is Proby silsbee’s strength .. depth !!!! There’s a major drop between btw’s starter’s and their bench 

On 2/6/2022 at 10:29 AM, bayou city 713 said:

Furr is like 5 minutes west of  North Shore, and 5 minutes east of Wheatley. 5 minutes south of kashmere. It’s  pretty much in between north shore and Wheatley. It’s near the Budweiser plant right at the interchange of 610, HWY 90 & I 10.Their athletes PRIMARILY  come from the Clinton park , federal road , and pleasantville areas. That school was recently rebuilt. 

Mickey Leland  high school has been around for some years but without a team. They remodeled and shut HP Carter high school down and moved it there. That school is in 5th ward and very close to Wheatley. It’s One exit before downtown ..Greg street exit ..it’s on Greg st and Lyons Avenue.  

Y’all have to remember as far as enrollment HISD is a shrinking district , all of their schools with the exception of west side and Chavez were very old buildings in bad shape .. most of all the schools had to be rebuilt. So almost all of the schools were rebuilt recently 

I've been in & around Houston for 66 years. I went to Lamar Fleming middle school one year.  I heard too many horror stories about EO Smith. I would of stay at the old Silsbee Jr High than go to EO Smith.  I don't know much about the new charter  

schools although I was a big fan of US Rep Mickey Leland; cried like a baby when he died.  I don't need no play of movie by a CME pastor to tell me the educated have been leaving places like 5th ward.  I lived it.  

None of the players on that team come from Independence Heights, or Studewood, the area around BT Washington.  At least none of the players that matter. Kenneth Lewis transferred in from CE King.  Their best guard came from Humble.  McDermott from Heights aka Reagan.  That team is basically a Greater Houston all star team.  But the UIL lets it slide.  I wish I knew what really happened at Westfield.