With the first round of district starting this week for most teams who has been the most impressive

A lot of talented teams around our area.  Some are starting to play better and some are declining IMO.  Here are my top tier by class to make noise when it matters, which is the playoffs.

1A is really down

2A Evadale (Tougher schedule than Silsbee considering they're a 2A) & West Hardin

3A East Chambers under Coach Sutherland will always get better

4A this is interesting. Silsbee is Top of the Crop, HJ a close second and HF is definitely in the mix.  Huffman and LCM may get by the first round.

5A BU, BU and BU.  Nederland is well coached as always but not on their level.  I did like Lufkin and La Porte at the HJ Tournament.

6A Westbrook is getting better every week.  They will give people head aches.  

I think we all get caught up in records  which can be very misleading in most cases. My biggest surprise has been EC. I thought they’d be down after the players they lost to graduation. Silsbee was expected to be really good and they are holding up well to a tough schedule. BU is just on a different level than everyone else locally. If the 3 ball is falling Kountze is going to be a tough out. HJ has been impressive in pre district with a couple of wins over Nederland and a W against Barbers Hill. 

34 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I think we all get caught up in records  which can be very misleading in most cases. My biggest surprise has been EC. I thought they’d be down after the players they lost to graduation. Silsbee was expected to be really good and they are holding up well to a tough schedule. BU is just on a different level than everyone else locally. If the 3 ball is falling Kountze is going to be a tough out. HJ has been impressive in pre district with a couple of wins over Nederland and a W against Barbers Hill. 

I think Kountze definitely makes the case for most improved from last year

1 hour ago, UNT-AggieMan said:

They are also very young i heard. that is very scary for region 3 that Kountze may be back to where they use to be 

They're solid and will only get better with time since they're young, but make no mistake this isn't the beginning of a reincarnation of those old Kountze teams. They'll be good, but not great.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:40 AM, Jerry West said:

A lot of talented teams around our area.  Some are starting to play better and some are declining IMO.  Here are my top tier by class to make noise when it matters, which is the playoffs.

1A is really down

2A Evadale (Tougher schedule than Silsbee considering they're a 2A) & West Hardin

3A East Chambers under Coach Sutherland will always get better

4A this is interesting. Silsbee is Top of the Crop, HJ a close second and HF is definitely in the mix.  Huffman and LCM may get by the first round.

5A BU, BU and BU.  Nederland is well coached as always but not on their level.  I did like Lufkin and La Porte at the HJ Tournament.

6A Westbrook is getting better every week.  They will give people head aches.  

Not the best choices for our "top tier" area 2A teams. If Douglass is considered SETX then they should be the main consideration for "noise" in the playoffs. BS and Grapeland as well

5 minutes ago, OverTheBack said:

Not the best choices for our "top tier" area 2A teams. If Douglass is considered SETX then they should be the main consideration for "noise" in the playoffs. BS and Grapeland as well

Douglass and Grapeland are not coverage area teams. Big Sandy is.

I agree. Big Sandy is much better than Evadale.

25 minutes ago, UNT-AggieMan said:

sounds like someone isn't a fan of kountze being great again. only time will tell 

Unless we have different definitions of the word "great". If you're referring this years team to the Lions of the early 2000s and even more recent in '15 with Arnold when they made the final four, those were "great" teams. This years team will be solid and with time will be pretty good, just not great.

2 hours ago, OverTheBack said:

Unless we have different definitions of the word "great". If you're referring this years team to the Lions of the early 2000s and even more recent in '15 with Arnold when they made the final four, those were "great" teams. This years team will be solid and with time will be pretty good, just not great.

I think he wasn’t necessarily saying this years team will be great, but stating that possible next year or year after they will be “great”

4 hours ago, OverTheBack said:

They're solid and will only get better with time since they're young, but make no mistake this isn't the beginning of a reincarnation of those old Kountze teams. They'll be good, but not great.

This is spot on. I don’t see any Hancock, Powell , Busby type players in the pipeline. They will be very good as the get a little age on em .