Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships

Maybe there needs to be two polls when it comes to figuring out who will win district, make the playoffs, etc. - one for who, logically, you THINK will win this game or that game and the other for who you WANT to win. Some seem to think those two lines of thought are one and the same.

Did you know that until last Friday night, Central had gone 28 games since being shutout (first three non-district games of the 2004 season), and 64 games since being shutout by a district opponent (20-0 by Baytown Lee in 1996)? This is Central's 22nd season of existance and Dayton became only the 8th team to blank the Jaguars in their 230-games played through last week. That's amazing, and don't get me wrong, it says a lot for the Jaguars - it's HARD to keep those guys out of the endzone.

I just thought this was interesting (district play only, since common opponents):

*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V**PF***PA

Port Neches-Groves (5-0) - - -135 - - 79

Lumberton (4-1) - - - - - - - - 140 - - 88

Nederland (4-1) - - - - - - - -  150 - - 95

Dayton (4-1) - - - - - - - - - - 149 - - 21

Bring it on.

Maybe there needs to be two polls when it comes to figuring out who will win district, make the playoffs, etc. - one for who, logically, you THINK will win this game or that game and the other for who you WANT to win. Some seem to think those two lines of thought are one and the same.

Did you know that until last Friday night, Central had gone 28 games since being shutout (first three non-district games of the 2004 season), and 64 games since being shutout by a district opponent (20-0 by Baytown Lee in 1996)? This is Central's 22nd season of existance and Dayton became only the 8th team to blank the Jaguars in their 230-games played through last week. That's amazing, and don't get me wrong, it says a lot for the Jaguars - it's HARD to keep those guys out of the endzone.

I just thought this was interesting (district play only, since common opponents):

*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V*V**PF***PA

Port Neches-Groves (5-0) - - -135 - - 79

Lumberton (4-1) - - - - - - - - 140 - - 88

Nederland (4-1) - - - - - - - -  150 - - 95

Dayton (4-1) - - - - - - - - - - 149 - - 21

Bring it on.

Another interesting stat is thru 5 district games Dayton has only trailed for 14 seconds--the final 14 seconds of the Lumberton game resulting in a loss---

Yeah, and it must have made too much "sense" in a world that doesn't want to hear it.

For the most part it is true that statistics don't mean much, UNLESS there is a pattern. The Bronco defense, unlike any other team, with the possible exception of PNG since their pattern has been of winning and until defeated they are No. 1 in the district right now, has set a defensive pattern BETTER than anyone's in the district, including PNG.

Offensively, the statistics aren't that far apart, but defensively, there is a gulf separting one team from the "rest of the pack," and that kind of statistical pattern can't, rather should I say, shouldn't be discounted.

Someone needs to go out and shoot and pluck a bunch of Crows - I have a feeling it's going to be on the menu for quite a few folks who "aren't paying attention."

Another interesting stat is thru 5 district games Dayton has only trailed for 14 seconds--the final 14 seconds of the Lumberton game resulting in a loss---

Lumberton has been the only opponent Dayton has faced with a strong defense and balanced offense.  I think, after tonight, Dayton will be humbled after trying to win against Nederland and next week will really put them to the test when facing PNG. 

Lumberton has been the only opponent Dayton has faced with a strong defense and balanced offense.  I think, after tonight, Dayton will be humbled after trying to win against Nederland and next week will really put them to the test when facing PNG. 

Is that when you're gonna burn our house down? ::)

Guest kingme2007

I buy tickets and go to the games so that I can hit on hot single moms!!  I didn't even know how long each of the three quarters lasted until about 2 seasons ago.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder