Cats Morrison was right to be upset

Cats Morrison was right to be upset

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

I have to admit something to Orangefield Coach Blake Morrison and all the Bobcat fans.

After Friday's 49-42 loss to Kirbyville and Morrison's post-game interview, I was a little upset with the fourth-year coach.

When the game ended I quickly assumed Morrison would be more than pleased with his team's effort against the Wildcats.

Kirbyville entered the game 4-1 and 1-1 in District 21-3A play with its only loss on the year being against West Orange-Stark.

Here were the 0-5 Bobcats taking the Wildcats down to the wire and almost pulling off a huge upset.

So Morrison should be happy and pleased with what transpired in the game.

Boy was I wrong and that is where I grew a little agitated.

Morrison was not pleased and called out several times the Bobcats could have made a stop and came away with the win instead of settling for almost  winning the game.

I simply did not understand why Morrison was not as pleased as I had thought he would have been.

It took until almost 2 a.m. Saturday for me to finally understand.

He wants and demands his team to take care of business every single play.

If the plays would have been made when he expected them to be made, Orangefield would be 1-5 instead of 0-6.

It was not enough in Morrison's mind for Orangefield to just scare the Wildcats, his Bobcats should have won.

That is what Morrison expects.

No more excuses and no more close games, he wants his team to win and win now.

The Bobcats even took a fourth quarter lead with 10:06 left in the game as Jeremy Granger scored making it 35-34 Orangefield.

After taking the lead Morrison had to watch Kirbyville's Pierce Rhodes haul in two touchdown receptions and the Bobcats only scored one more time.

Now do not get it wrong in thinking Morrison was not proud of his team's effort and determination.

He would probably be the first person to tell you how proud he was of the Bobcats on Friday.

Kirbyville went up 28-14 in the third quarter only to see Orangefield fight back.

Later it was the Bobcats having to fight back again from a two-score deficit as the Wildcats went up 34-21.

So the effort and fight was all there for the Bobcats in Kirbyville and that will always put a smile on Morrison's face.

This Friday night though he wanted a bigger grin, the one you get after a victory.

Orangefield will take on Bridge City this week in the Bayou Bowl and both teams come in 0-6.

This week I just hope I understand fully where Morrison is coming from after the game either win or lose and it does not take me all night to realize the man knew what he was talking about.

This is his 4th year and I THINK his record is 8 - 26 so far. He is a very good coach and great guy. Orangefield is very lucky to have him.

You are correct on the record. Here are the records by season....

2004: (0-10)

2005: (4-4)

2006: (4-6)

2007 so far: (0-6)

He is a great guy and a heck of a motivator. He gets just as fired up as his players and he shows it on the sidelines.  8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder