Kelly CANNOT Recruit

daKdog

Most if not all Private Schools offer financial assistance - which is in no way unethical as long as the application process is consistently applied.  This practice as you describe it is not illegal either. That is not the discussion.

The discussion is whether Kelly offers financial assistance to certain students due to athletic purpose.  And like it or not - Kelly boosters do practice this.  The school does not care where the tuition payments come from, and yes these kids that do receive it do follow the application process as do all recepients of financial aid.

Call it what you want to - but if boosters are making tuition payments on behalf of families of student athletes for the purpose of attracting them to Kelly High School it is recruitment.  And yes, it is illegal.

now, giving financial aid to a ballplayer just to get him here...I am 100% against it!

I'd rather go 0-10.

I can appreciate your stance against recruiting and going 0 - 10.  But I know of a few current Kelly boosters and parents of Kelly athletes who are not going to go 0 - 10 in football, basketball, mens baseball or womens softball. 

It is what it is.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is why the privates should never be allowed to be a part of the uil

because call it what you want they recruit

I wish they could (no more district games in Austin), Strake  in Houston does.......I don't think it would be the problem you do...plus, throw out stiffer guidelines and harsh penalties

I wish they could (no more district games in Austin), Strake  in Houston does.......I don't think it would be the problem you do...plus, throw out stiffer guidelines and harsh penalties

SJ in Houston and in Dallas probably recruit but the UIL has them playing in 5A for that reason plus they have no attendance zones. 

well we do recruit but thats not the only reason why we are good. we have TONS of talent that came to kelly on their own accord.

True.  Kelly's kids have more heart than most school could never even imagine.  They also have the winning tradition.  Recruits help but they are just a part of Kelly's package.

SJ in Houston and in Dallas probably recruit but the UIL has them playing in 5A for that reason plus they have no attendance zones. 

attendance zones?  nobody in beaumont has true attendance zones.pretty much a free for all....i think everybody in beaumont could go to WB if they wanted, cuz central and ozen are deemed "underperforming" schools

Guest KirbyKat

And JoCovan Brown and all the other kids from PA want a good catholic education. Right. Private school play by a separate set of rules. recruiting is very much part of Kelly HS. It might be called something different, but it happens.

attendance zones?  nobody in beaumont has true attendance zones.pretty much a free for all....i think everybody in beaumont could go to WB if they wanted, cuz central and ozen are deemed "underperforming" schools

Not only are Central and Ozen Acedemically Acceceptible as of 06-07 but the principal @Central was awarded Region 5 Principal of the year.  Plus WB only holds 1700 and has 2500 with many kids sharing lockers.  Perception vs. reality FP......

If any alumini want to foot the tuition for an athelete to play for Kelly then you can call it "RECRUITING" if you want to. However, it is the alumini that is doing the recruiting and not Kelly high school or the catholic dioceses doing it. I know a lot of poeple believe that Kelly is purposely recruiting but I am not sure if that is really happening. I am not calling anybody a lier but I do find it hard to believe. There are a lot of poeple that have said that WOS recruits but I doubt that anyone could prove it.

i want to make it clear that we recieve between 5 and 10 calls per week from kids at PA that want to come here!

whats wrong with a catholic educaton? that why i go there!!

Jacovin Brown failed some subjects here at Kelly and was not allowed to re-enroll!!

[/quote

ah dude, ya mentioned a name..probably delete that......People forget port arthur used to have Bishop Byrne HS...still have thru 8th at St. Catherine...maybe thats where a few of the Port Arthur kids come from ;D

Guest ECBucFan

So would you call transferring parents with talented athletes to a nearby plant in a particular attendance zone recruiting??? Because that is what Barbers Hill does and they are a public school.

Do you have evidence of that?

it is why the privates should never be allowed to be a part of the uil

because call it what you want they recruit

Strake Jesuit in Houston is in the district with the Katy and Alief teams, and they are competing with them. You can't tell me that they don't recruit to be able to hang in that tough district. They're beating all kinds of 5A schools now.

Do you have evidence of that?

Yeah I have a good friend who played there 7 years ago. He came from Louisiana and had the Barbers Hill coaches at one of his games checking him out they talked to him afterwards and everything. Then 3 weeks later his dad got a transfer to "The Hill" and they had to up and move.

Kelly is not the only school around here that recruits if you do it right it looks like chairty (poor kid needs a place to stay) or (he lives with his aunt&uncle because he cant get along at home) the best of all (mom & dad are split and dad has this apartment) all classics and I sure there are plenty more.

Face it --- Public schools and private schools both recruit athletes in some from or fashion. They also receive new athletes based on the parent deciding they are not getting a fair shake and "moving" into the new district. Not sure that this is "recruiting".

When public schools recruit the student is expected to spend the night at least 4 ?? nights per week at a residence in the new school district.

I believe private schools students can live anywhere.

It does makes for an interesting discussion.

I think it is MUCH more often the case, that the parents become disgruntled with the current status of their star athlete and "move" into a trailer or apt in the new district or move in with the uncle. Then the new district is accused of recruiting.

2 cents

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder