Another Texas Player Arrested

By April Castro (AP Writer)

September 13, 2007 - 12:55PM

AUSTIN (AP) - Texas senior safety Tyrell Gatewood remained in

jail Thursday after his arrest on drug charges, the fifth arrest of

a Longhorns player since June.

Freshman defensive back Ben Wells, 18, who was riding with

Gatewood when he was pulled over late Wednesday, was given a

citation for possession of drug paraphernalia and released.

Gatewood, 22, was charged with two counts of possession of a

dangerous drug. It was his second drug-related arrest in a year,

although misdemeanor possession charges were dropped after his

arrest last September. He was suspended for a game.

Texas athletic officials planned to release a statement later

Thursday.

Gatewood and Wells were pulled over by a Travis County sheriff's

deputy for failing to signal a turn. Smelling marijuana, the deputy

searched the vehicle and found pot, Xanax and a baby bottle full of

codeine cough syrup, said Travis County sheriff's spokesman Roger

Wade.

Bond was set for Gatewood at $2,500 for each count. Gatewood

also was being held on an arrest warrant from Dallas County on a

reckless driving charge from March. Bond for that charge was set at

$500.

Linebacker Sergio Kindle and defensive end Henry Melton, both

arrested on drunken driving charges during the summer, are serving

three-game suspensions that will end after Saturday's game at

Central Florida.

Freshman linebacker Dre Jones was suspended indefinitely last

month after being charged with aggravated robbery. Former safety

Robert Joseph was charged in the same incident. Joseph had already

left the team after being arrested in a separate incident earlier

in the summer.

Gatewood, from Tyler, switched from receiver to safety before

the 2006 season, and has played mostly on special teams.

Wells graduated early from Beaumont Ozen High School and

enrolled at Texas so he could participate in spring drills. He was

named to the Associated Press Sports Editors Class 4A all-state

team last season.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Everyone immediately says these guys have thrown away an opportunity that will never be given to them again, and this is true. But we should be looking at why they have done it. Is it "society" or is it just plain they weren't taught wrong from right at home or had role models that showed them wrong from right?

Everyone immediately says these guys have thrown away an opportunity that will never be given to them again, and this is true. But we should be looking at why they have done it. Is it "society" or is it just plain they weren't taught wrong from right at home or had role models that showed them wrong from right?

the second part of that would be your answer my friend! It ALL starts at home with parenting!

Let him make it things happen it just happened at a very wrong time.....

let him make it....? you mean just let him go? no penalty? what in the world is that going to teach him? all that is going to say is that"i can do whatever I want and I don't have to be responsible for my actions". This is the problem with the world today, no responsibility and no accountability.! today's society is not going to change until people are held accountable for their acrions! we're not doing anybody any favors until we stop making excuses for them!

I just about quit watching Pro Football because of all the big money and how grown adults would just throw there carrears and life away doing stupid junk.

Now it seems to be seeping into the college ranks. big name getting bigger names but not because of playing ability.

how much longer will it take to get down to HS level.....I guess I must be getting old by saying.....give them the same chance a no-name player gets.

It has always been at all levels including high school. Excuses are made and accepted more readily now a days. Parents use to make the corrections as needed, now they seem simply to offer a lot of the excuses.

It comes with the territory known as "celebrity". It is a self-entitlement that gets out of control. I can't blame all parents, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with most of these cases. Telling their kid how special they are because they are gifted athletes and they can do no wrong, molds this ego. I'm not perfect, but I hold me kids accountable for all their actions. It's what separates adults from adolescents.

There is two sides to every story, guys.  Parents probably teaching these children.  But when you become grown, move out, and start fending on your own, you make your own decision.  You begin experiencing new things, and sometimes you get caught up inthe wrong crowd and doing wrong things.  Can't fault the parents all the time.  Parents cant hold the hand of a grown man.

I'm sorry if Ben's parents, realitives, or friends are on this site.  Austin police are biting down on these UT players and it is evident.  This kid cannot destroy his career or education like this.  So many of these kids want to fit in instead of having their own minds....  One hand get a free education and possibly make millions in the pros (UT safeties recently have all gone to the league), or on the other hand get high today...  That shows no ability to reason or no aptitude to understand.  I hate saying this word but dumb and ignorant comes to mind.  If he doesn't make it to the league he still might not pass a background check to get a good job...  Companies are background checking everyone now-a-days, even upper level Walmart employees (store managers).  Come on Ben, grow up, you are no longer a child, these things can effect your future.  You can wind up a bright young star that futures shows a thirty year old unemployeed man.  I grew up in the North, a block from the Gardens... I had those friends and I done those things as a child that could have destroyed my future.  I was blessed and it did not, but as a man (from my senior year til today) you can't pay me to hang with my friends who are do those things.  I still care for them but won't mess up my life for anyone. I hope you read this Ben.... Grow up and be somebody!

I'm off my soap box!!!

I'm sorry if Ben's parents, realitives, or friends are on this site.  Austin police are biting down on these UT players and it is evident.  This kid cannot destroy his career or education like this.  So many of these kids want to fit in instead of having their own minds....  One hand get a free education and possibly make millions in the pros (UT safeties recently have all gone to the league), or on the other hand get high today...  That shows no ability to reason or no aptitude to understand.  I hate saying this word but dumb and ignorant comes to mind.  If he doesn't make it to the league he still might not pass a background check to get a good job...  Companies are background checking everyone now-a-days, even upper level Walmart employees (store managers).  Come on Ben, grow up, you are no longer a child, these things can effect your future.  You can wind up a bright young star that futures shows a thirty year old unemployeed man.  I grew up in the North, a block from the Gardens... I had those friends and I done those things as a child that could have destroyed my future.  I was blessed and it did not, but as a man (from my senior year til today) you can't pay me to hang with my friends who are do those things.  I still care for them but won't mess up my life for anyone. I hope you read this Ben.... Grow up and be somebody!

I'm off my soap box!!!

Very good post. I bet your parents instilled realistic values in you as a kid. Everyone knew kids like you mentioned growing up, but we moved away and grew up, like you said. I posted earlier that "most" of the time it can fall back on the parents because I believe that you are who you are told you are, and who you are raised to be.

People make bad choices every day and this could be the case here. I don't know the kid personally. Hopefully there is a chance he learns from it. I could easily call in sick to work and spend the day in a beer joint. My responsibility to my family and to myself help me make the right choice. Temptation is a weak moment and we all have to learn to overcome and do what is right, not do what we believe gets us "accepted".

Thats the crap I was posting about on another topic.  This is why Ozen can never make it anywhere. NO DISCIPLINE.

He was 'disciplined' enough to finish HS a semester early and was on campus for spring ball.  Keep your sorry comments to your self before I pull out other 'rap sheets' of former area players who lacked 'discipline'

i 've met this young man on a couple of occassion and know a lot of teachers and coaches who are close tom him. I met a very goal driven and bright young man, I want to think that this was a situation where the freshman wanted to be accepted by his teammate the senior. If Ben is who everyone says he is then he will learn from this experience.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder