Former Ozen Player Ben Wells

KFDM COOP

Before anyone starts bashing the football program all together...........here are a few "good apples"

09/11/2007

Old tradition, new setting

Anna Glazer, Texas Media Relations

Derek Lokey

· Video

· Photo gallery

On the Friday before the home games against Arkansas State and TCU, a host of UT players took the afternoon off from football and their studies to brighten the lives of a handful of young patients at the new Dell Children's Medical Center of Central Texas.

Many of the players were returning to the hospital for their second, third or fourth year, and were warmly greeted by wide-eyed patients, grateful parents and helpful hospital staffers, all just as eager as the next to get an autograph, snap a photo, or just share a few minutes with their favorite Texas football player.

The Longhorns' came prepared with Texas football posters, trading cards, stuffed animals and t-shirts ready to be personalized, signed and delivered to the young patients eagerly waiting.

A few volunteer Longhorns went room-to-room visiting the children who were not able to leave their beds, while the rest of the players met with children and their families in the playroom.

Robyn Dickson, the hospital's community groups coordinator, has been arranging the players' visits and special activities for children since April 2006.

"We try to normalize the kids' whole hospital experience by bringing the community to them, and then the football players add something special for the kids," said Dickson. "It's also good for the players because they feel good knowing they helped somebody so it's a two-fold process."

She added that the players' visit not only benefits the children, but the parents and the hospital staff as well because it alleviates some of the stress from their everyday lives.

Senior DT Derek Lokey has been visiting the Children's Hospital since his freshman year.

"We're honored that they keep inviting us out because we really enjoy being out here, and it's great to give back," said Lokey. "Visiting with the kids is one of my favorite parts of the week."

This was the Longhorns' first visit to the beautiful, new Dell Children's Medical Center, which opened in June and had formerly been The Children's Hospital of Austin.

"It's about 100 beds larger and it's a green-building," said Dickson. "We have natural light coming in approximately every three feet, and the way that we use water and the chemicals that we use are earth-friendly and patient-friendly."

Senior Frank Okam was in awe of the new facility.

"This is a great hospital; it's one of the most beautiful hospitals I've ever seen," said Okam. "When you see things like that, you just have to step back and appreciate what's going on here."

Okam, who has been a regular visitor at the hospital since his freshman year, plans his class schedule around the Friday visits.

"The tradition was started before I ever got here, and to be one of the players that continues to add to it is a great thing," said Okam. "It's a great opportunity to give back and show people that you appreciate them.

"When you see the smiles on the kids' faces, you know you're doing something good and it's something that you don't have to expect anything in return for."

Sophomore quarterback Colt McCoy recognizes the importance of giving back to the community.

"It's important for us to do anything we can to support these kids who have been through struggles and things that none of us have ever been through," said McCoy. "And we really enjoy coming over here and putting smiles on their faces."

Senior Peter Ullman shares his teammates' sentiments.

"It's a great privilege to be able to come out here and support the kids when they're going through hard times," said Ullman. "I just hope the kids enjoy it as much as I do because I really get a lot out of it."

The Texas players will return to the hospital on three more occasions, with each visit falling on the Friday before home games. They are also looking forward to a new tradition that began last year, when the tables are turned and the children will visit the players at Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletics Complex.

I stand corrected in my earlier post of good kids doing good things never get the press. This is great. I have two daughters that are UT grads and they both are loyal to the university and have had great college experiences. They graduated from a high school that had only about 400 students total and went on to do well in college. If the mindset is there it can be done. The post above warms my heart to a burnt orange!

The sad thing about all these incidents is they get all the press and the multitude of good kids doing the right things are never acknowledged.

Any news service that is spending time telling about people not in trouble will go out of business.

What do you want them to say, "In today's news, Limas Sweed showed up in class today and did not get busted with dope"?

Of course, at UT, maybe that is a big news story.

And the National Enquirer continues to sell to the countless underachievers whom have to feel superior to someone...  If a person or program is successful there will always be cheap shots taken, ask Mack Brown, Dan Hooks, Curtis Barbay, etc.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83