WHO'S THE BEST?? ELHERT OR ANGELLE?

:tired How many ways can we bring up the BC/LCM topic on this board?

I'd like to say we will find out Friday night, but am afraid that fans coming to see a head to head match up between Angelle/Ehlert are going to be disappointed. This is a TUNE UP game to prepare for a tough post-season schedule. My guess is we will be seeing several pitchers for each program. A few innings at most for each of these guys. Lets try to keep the hype in perspective to the type of game this is.

Come on mif04 we know you have the goods on these 2. give us the real insight in what the pro/college scouts say. potential? who can win the big game consistently? whats the mental make-up of each if you know? we all know both are good and both can win on a particular night but what are the separators? as we know all good pitchers need hitting and fielding but what is the individual make-up that puts one above the other.

Nothing like being called out....

And its kinda like asking do I want a blue Ferrarri or a black Ferrarri....heck, I just want a Ferrarri.

And, its a more 'loaded' question than some might suspect. Who is better as a high school pitcher, as a potential D1 pitcher, as a professional pitcher, more projectible, etc.?

Let me think about it a while....

Who has Angelle or Ehlert faced of any substance. The true test is how they fare gainst really tough competition.

You could probably say that about any local pitcher that dominates it's district opponents. Those major league scouts and Texas A&M don't seem to mine the competition. As mif04 once said, A&M got a steal on both these guys.

This is comparing apples to oranges...they're different but are both fruit and both good for you. Nevertheless, I'll jump into this with both feet:

1. First, I admit to the general bias in favor of LHP. That gives Angelle an advantage going in. I'm not sure why a LHP has that advantage (I've stayed up late at night with plenty of adult beverages to fuel the discussion on tihs point).

2. Body-wise, most think Angelle projects better. Today, Ehlert is the better physical specimen. Angelle, however, has more room to grow, improve his strength, etc. As an athlete, Ehlert is the better of the two. He is faster and the better position player (not that that matters on the bump). This makes Ehlert a much better fielding pitcher, though.

3. As far as velocity goes, I don't differentiate much between the two. I've always thought Ehlert had slightly higher velocity numbers over the course of a game. Irrespective of that, neither of them have dominant velocity for the next level at this point in their development (and, by that, I mean 94 and up such as what you see with someone like a Drabek). They both have more adequate velocity for D1 given their ability to pitch, use their 2nd pitch, etc.

4. Both have very good 'backup' pitches. Angelle's curve may be a little more 'electric'. Ehlert is probably a little more advanced in his ability to pitch but that, too, is a razor-thin margin.

5. Ehlert, over the course of his HS career, has probably pitched more games against better competition. That's no one's fault, just the reality of playing in a 3A vs. 4A program. Both have pitched (and won) big games. Both have been front line pitchers at their respective schools since their soph. seasons.

6. Ehlert has been a little more successful than Angelle on the summer circuit (for whatever that is worth). That is probably a product of Ehlert being part of the select system for a longer period of time than Angelle.

7. Ranking wise, Ehlert is ranked slightly higher by Baseball America than Angelle but they are so close it is hard to make any determination from that. Some of that is because Ehlert projects as a possible 2-way player in college and Angelle does not.

8. I'm really not sure how they project out as draft choices straight from HS. I have a general bias toward the college game and, unless you are a very early round, I lean toward the college route. I know more scouts have been at Angelle's games than Ehlert's, and that the reports on Angelle from those scouts are 'all over the board'.

All in all, I'm not sure that I could choose between the two. To put it another way, I'd take either one and be happy. How's that for a political answer? And, speaking of politics (and to answer BCBBall), I'll take Hillary.

Good luck to Bears and Cards this Friday. I (like most) am looking forward to it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu