Coaches Cussing

Guest Pirate V Ball

Guest Pirate V Ball

Should coaches be given a pass at cussing the kids on the field or should they be held to the same standards as teachers in the classroom?

Let's hear your Opinions?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to get the best out of your players - you show them respect and work them hard and expect them to perform at a high level.

Hate to say it but cussing a player is a serious sign of disrespect - there are other ways of motivating your players without cussing them.  Now I have no problem with a Coach that yells and gets angry at a player that is not trying or doing their very best - you just don't have to cuss them.

You want to get the best out of your players - you show them respect and work them hard and expect them to perform at a high level.

Hate to say it but cussing a player is a serious sign of disrespect - there are other ways of motivating your players without cussing them.  Now I have no problem with a Coach that yells and gets angry at a player that is not trying or doing their very best - you just don't have to cuss them.

I agree. There's a big difference in cursing around a HS player and cursing at them. I have no problem with the former and a big problem with the latter.

I do get a kick out of the parents that get their panties in a wad because their son's coach let fly with an F-bomb or an occasional vulgarity. Usually they're the same people that sit on the front pew in church but sin like beelzebub during the weekdays. Hypocrates seem to make the most noise.

A long time ago when I was in school is was fairly routine. I thought nothing of it even back in junior high school.

I don't remember the coaches directing at any player by calling him names. It was more like performance based such as... "that kind of playing is *%#@" or "you have better get to moving or I'll put my foot up &^%$  *##".

I've had some of it directed toward my and I never felt disrespected by it. I thought it just added color and seriousness to the coach's tone. I know that I took it more seriously than if he had said..."Gee, I wish you would try harder".

This is probably the worst thread ever...

I agree.

But, there is a difference in "cussing" and "cussing a player". Kids are gonna hear it everywhere so it ain't the end of the world if a coach cusses. On the other hand if a Coach cusses a player, thats different. Its one thing to cuss but when it is directed at a kid personally, you are going to loose their respect. A perfect example of what not to do was in that video of the Florida HS(sorry don't recall the name) that is gonna play SLC.

Ha i remember last year when we were playing cathedral and i got a fist fight with one of their players i whent to the sideline and my coach whent in my face and said every curse word in the book to me i got a ear full! But i dont care about coaches cussing at the players or around them It dont bother me..

It happens, but it shouldn't.  Coaches are still role models for their players.  Sadly, society has made it appropriate to curse in public.  You can see that on this thread.  Sure, we were all cursed around and at during our playing days, but it did not make it right.  What if a teacher cursed around students in the classroom because they got upset with the performance of numerous students on a test.  There would be an article in the paper and everyone would want the teacher reprimanded or terminated for it.  What is the difference?  A football field, baseball field, etc., is an extension of the classroom.  As I stated before, it happens, but it shouldn't!!

Guest tigersvoice

King,

Help me out here.  I was the Public Address announcer for Catheral last football season.  That, of course, covers only home games.  I do not recall observing a "Fist fight" during any of Catheral's home games.  So, if your statement is true, then it must have been an "Away" game that you are referring to.  Would you care to say where you played last year or do you want to leave it at "Being cussed at doesn't bother me!."

I know of several teachers that have slipped words during their classes and I also know of many that have been reprimanded for it.  It may get blown off and laughed about the first time by the students, but ask the parents and administrators if they approve of it.  The answer should be no.  I guess many times peoples morals and values are different.  I personally think teachers and coaches are role models and it shouldn't happen.

I also know of many coaches that can get their message across without using profanity.

True. Which is why a teacher should apologize to the kids and admit a mistake when they slip up. That's being a role model - showing that no one is perfect, but that you're accountable for your mistakes.

Coaches are not in the same position when they are on the field or practice field. If they cuss, it doesn't bother me. I'd rather they cuss than berate or be demeaning toward a kid.

Guest coachhooker

personally i think and i wont ever belittle a student athlete it doesnt matter what happened on or off the field.  that is just my personal way so may agree some may disagree

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami