BIG 12 BASEBALL TOURNEY UPDATES **Aggies win Championship**

rumor has it, aTm is having to build a new building on campus to house the HUGE number of Big XII Championship Trophies won this year.

and no dennis, Texas did not win it for aTm by beating nebraska

What, you mean the ONE big XII title they won this year?  I'll freely admit when it comes to baseball I read the scores and thats really about it.  I know maybe 3-4 players who even play for UT this year.  The tourney bracket just seems weird, I dont know. 

Here's the breakdown on Big 12 Trophies won this year

Texas A&M -7

Oklahoma- 6

Texas- 5

Baylor- 5

Nebraska- 4

Colorado- 2

Kansas- 2

Iowa St.- 1

Oklahoma St. -1

Here's the A&M/UT Trophies

Texas A&M (7)- Women's Soccer, Women's Indoor Track, Women's Swimming, Women's Basketball, Women's Golf, Women's Outdoor Track, Baseball Tournament

Texas (5)- Women's Soccer Tournament, Men's Swimming, Men's Indoor Track, Women's Tennis, Baseball

can't really say much except congratulations on their first MEN'S title since tennis 2001

and congrats on all those women's sports titles considering how ironic that is since the ags fought hard to keep women out of their school for decades. Now their women carry their athletic department, but at least they have been succesful at keeping their tradition of men only cheerleaders

and didnt the atm yearbook used to be called "The Longhorn"

and while we're at it, in the words of 'saw varsity's horns off" they openly refer to Texas as varsity, so does that make atm the JV??

This is the hidden content, please

No Varsity was Bevo's original name before they stole him and branded 13-0 on the side. The brilliant tsips turned the 13 into a B the dash into an E placed a V before the O and had a new name for the mascot. Congrats A&M helped name your mascot and by the way an Aggie still raises it to this day on an undisclosed ranch. Just a side note A&M also named Rice's mascot Sammy when they stole it.

Here's the true story, still a good one  ;D

We're both wrong.

Hornery

The Story of Bevo

After a struggle, the Aggies subdued the steer and branded him, in 8-inch-high numbers, “13-0†— the score of the 1915 UT-A&M Thanksgiving football game. The stunt was retaliation for UT’s embarrassing 21-7 win in the 1916 rematch. With the deed done and their school’s honor presumably restored, the Aggies snuck away into the night.

Students and alumni alike were distraught at the new mascot’s disfigurement. Legend has it that a group of clever UT students altered the brand, changing the “13†into a “B†and the “-†into an “E,†and inserting a “V†before the “0.†Their handiwork had transformed the repellent “13-0†into “BEVO,†the name of a popular non-alcoholic “near beer.†Thanks to their ingenuity, UT’s mascot has been known ever since as Bevo.

There’s no question it’s a good yarn. Some of it is even true. But the real facts of the case are a little different: there never was a second brand, Bevo was named over two months before the Aggie raid, and he probably wasn’t named for a beverage.

But even with the loss of that picturesque origin, the exploits of Bevo I and his successors are still the stuff of Longhorn legend. Bevos have been barbecued, kidnapped, lost, impersonated, banned, demoted, petted, and feted. They have been present at national championships and presidential inaugurations. They have gored and trampled and charged — sometimes UT’s opponents, sometimes their own caretakers. They have left their mark — literally — on some of college football’s most hallowed ground.

And what was originally the gift of a few dedicated Texas Exes has grown into the University’s most recognized symbol and one of college sports’ most enduring and popular mascots.

Here's some more info I found.

Why Bevo? UT tradition has long ascribed it to the name of a Prohibition-era “near beer†produced by Anheuser-Busch (“Bevo†was a play on “pivo,†the Czech word for beer). The drink became extremely popular through the 1920s, selling 50 million cases annually. But Bevo Beer wasn’t introduced until 1916, and didn’t reach Austin stores until that fall. It’s unlikely (though not impossible) that it had acquired enough of a following by Thanksgiving to be Dyer’s inspiration in naming the new mascot.

More likely is a suggestion by Dan Zabcik, BA ’93, that Bevo’s name was derived from a series of Sunday comic strips drawn by Gus Mager. The strips featured cartoonish monkeys whose names reflected their personality traits: the boastful Braggo the Monk and the bumbling detective Sherlocko the Monk were two of his best-known creations. Mager’s work became so popular that it spawned a nationwide fad of similar “-o†nicknames — including Groucho, Harpo, and Chico Marx, then aspiring Vaudeville performers.

“Beeve†is a slang term for cattle destined for the dinner table. It’s still used today and was certainly familiar to Texans living in the more rural 1910s. Did Dyer, keeping with the trend of the time, alter “beeve†to “Bevo?†No one knows for sure, but it’s a compelling argument.

Also in the early days the football teams were known as follows

A&M College Farmers

Univeristy of Texas Varstiy (lesser used names Steers or T-Men)

From all the old SWC stories I remember the Aggies stealing 13-0 and the UT faithful fixing it is the most widely told.  Given the Ags named Sammy the Owls, which is in the Rice Media Guide, I bet they stole "Varsity" at one point and time as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder