What do you do when????????????????????????

Guest bcofgsa

I am amazed at how quickly we can let things get out of control.   :o

I do agree that the inequality does exist in high schools across the state, and for that matter the nation.  In our society we place male athletes on billboards and give the everything, yet the female athlete is lucky if she gets to play in college; for her most likely goal after college is the weekend city league.

I wonder, how many of us are truly making sure that every decision we make is with the kids in mind.  Until, we as a society, deal with the inequalities in the professional sports world, the inequalities will exist inthe beginning levels as well.  

We all are very much aware of the talent displayed week after week on the local fields in the area.  Girls that would do anything they could to get the chance to play beyond high school.  What are we teaching them in this discussion?  What values are we truly trying to get across?

All of us are guilty when it comes to this inequality - why?  I can probably assume that we have spent more money to watch professional male athletes than we have female.  So, do we really need to be pointing fingers at just one school.

We each have a responsiblity as a fan, parent, coach, or player to make sure that each athlete, whether male or female gets the same opportunites that every other athlete gets.  After all, how many incredible select ball palyers are sitting at home during the summer because their family can not afford to let that child play?  When did the power of recruiting talented kids go from how they performed in school switch to only how they perform in select ball?  We all know, that many talented kids get left out because no team exists in that area or no funds exist!

How about we go back to putting the kid first in all things that we say!  These kids are reading every word we type, and right now most of them are in do or die situations on the field.  Do we really wnat their seasons to be overshadowed by the negativity they read in here?

To the girls playing this week, Best of Luck to each of you!  May the team that comes to play on that day and on that field be the team that moves on.  And to the team that goes home, learn from the game and never look at a PLAYOFF loss as a let down.  Remember, you have gotten to aplace where many will never be.

Ok, I've got one.  Move to another state.  95% of the high schools in Texas revolve around football.  That's the way it is.  The other sports are, and always will be, secondary.  It goes back to supply and demand.  The schools will supply want the community demands.  I've never seen a community stop down for a softball game.  I'm not just talking softball either.  It's the same for volleyball, baseball, track, basketball etc...  Football rules in the state of TEXAS. 

I read Ty Cobb's biography...I don't recall him being such a rabid Lumberton football fan.

Ok, I've got one.  Move to another state.  95% of the high schools in Texas revolve around football.  That's the way it is.  The other sports are, and always will be, secondary.  It goes back to supply and demand.  The schools will supply want the community demands.  I've never seen a community stop down for a softball game.  I'm not just talking softball either.  It's the same for volleyball, baseball, track, basketball etc...  Football rules in the state of TEXAS. 

This is like De Je Vu all over again! Texas is football, Indiana is Basketball and Alaska is Curling(?). We gonna start beating that dead horse again! :)

You would think that with Orange County alone having 69 Lawyers that one of them would be interested in a class-action lawsuit for equality for use of taxpayers money to equalize equal support of children of different genders in school activities(sports).

The point is--IT IS TOTAL AMNESIA BY ALL THE SCHOOL BOARDS TO RECTIFY THESE ONGOING PROBLEMS OF GIRLS/BOYS SPORTS PARITY!

Here is a few people that could help enact legislation--

1. Texas State Board of Education  SBOE District 8--MS Barbara Cargill, 61 Wedgemere Circle, The Woodlands, TX 77381

2. Texas State Senator, District 4....Senator Tommy Williams----512-463-0104 or 281-364-9426

3. Texas Representative, District 19...Representative Mike Hamilton----512-463-0412 or 409-745-3644

4. Texas U.S. Representative, Dist 8....Congressment Kevin Brady----202-225-4901 or Orange Office 409 883-4197

ty cobb if you realize that football is supreme...then why dont you change your name to johnny unitas and get on the football board?

until then...let the softball people talk softball and you go play in the nursery with you friends

ty cobb if you realize that football is supreme...then why dont you change your name to johnny unitas and get on the football board?

until then...let the softball people talk softball and you go play in the nursery with you friends

I realized a long time ago that football is supreme.  Why do you think I posted that the other sports are secondary?  Let the softball people talk softball?  This has nothing to do with softball talk.  It's people griping becasue there isn't as much money in softball as it is in football.  If you want to talk softball, then by all means, please do.  I just get tired of hearing about how softball is done wrong.  Softball isn't the only sport that is in the shadow of football.  And please drop the Title IX talk.  Title IX is just like well-fare, It was established to do good and has become the easy way out.  Look back on the first few posts, the answer was Title IX.  Only a few people said get out and work for what you want or what you need.  Oh, and to Big Purple guy, I follow softball also.  Heck, I've even been to the Softball College World Series.   

I believe the Title IX discussion has developed around EQUALITY in the programs, not FIANCIAL equity.  Spending money on uniforms and equipment and bleachers is only HALF the battle.  Providing girls sports with qualified coaches, who know their sports (Volleyball, Basketball, Softball) is the issue, versus placing a JV football coach over the girls just to fill a void.

Question to those "in the know" - Does the AD have any daughters, or only the son who plays football?  The answer to this question will tell you whether or not to battle onward, and whether or not you have a chance at winning the "war".

Guest BigHam

I realized a long time ago that football is supreme.  Why do you think I posted that the other sports are secondary?  Let the softball people talk softball?  This has nothing to do with softball talk.  It's people griping becasue there isn't as much money in softball as it is in football.  If you want to talk softball, then by all means, please do.  I just get tired of hearing about how softball is done wrong.  Softball isn't the only sport that is in the shadow of football.  And please drop the Title IX talk.  Title IX is just like well-fare, It was established to do good and has become the easy way out.  Look back on the first few posts, the answer was Title IX.  Only a few people said get out and work for what you want or what you need.  Oh, and to Big Purple guy, I follow softball also.  Heck, I've even been to the Softball College World Series.     

I agree with the point your making about " get out and work for what you want " Some are just or going to need to work harder than others. That's just how it is. For those that know Weed, that was the point he was making. The WB girls needed an additional field for practice. He kind of took a shoot first ask questions later approach. He built a field. If you wait for school districts to help with your needs, you may have a long wait. Your priorities and theirs might be different. Champion your own cause and make it happen.  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder