Port Neches-Groves 73 Nederland 13/FINAL

WOSgrad

5 minutes ago, OneChance said:

Nah, don’t sweat it! You guys have a great Christmas and New Years, stuff your belly’s and come back bloated and tired on the 4th of Jan!

Hahaha I can't speak for the rest of the team but I will make sure Julia know this png team is not a push over and to be ready for a good game.

1 hour ago, bobbymcgee said:

If PNG can turn around its program like it has then why can’t Nederland ? This result needs to be motivation for the future and Nederland needs to figure out how to be more competitive. 

A strong Little Dribblers Program that works on teaching the young girls fundamentals and skills is a good place to start. It needs to be a program where the world doesn't end if one doesn't win the mini-minor or minor championship, rather put the emphasis on the young players improving.

My daugther was a 4th grader at Lumberton when Vidor started their Little Dribble program back up. I remember her Little Dribbler All-Star Team Coach at Lumberton agreeing to scrimmage Vidor many times that winter and spring, because the Vidor Coach wanted to get their program up and running. It was not about wins and losses, it was about teaching the game to the children. My daughter is a 10th grader now, and through the years l have watched that group of girls at Vidor, that is within a year or two of my daughter, become a one of the hardest working groups in our area.

There has to be commitment from parents and most fundamentally, young girls have to want to play basketball. It is a sport that is not as glamorous as Volleyball, the sport where most tall athletic talent seems to migrate to. There has to be a group of girls that starts to play at a young age, and carries that through high school. 

A large number of the high school players in our area that are really talented at basketball typically will also play AAU and train by themselves and with trainers for many hours outside of any school related practice. They have started this process before middle school. The analogy I always use is "The Iceberg". One only sees 5-10% of an Iceberg (i.e. a girl playing in a game), but 90-95% of the Iceberg is HIDDEN, (i.e. all the individual practice and training, AAU practice and training, etc.).

I have no doubt Nederland could build a competitive girls program, it is just going to take a committed bunch to push it in the right direction. Good Luck.

Since my daughter is a part of this change at PNG, I can tell you my observation. It has been a culture change brought on by a young and hungry coach that the girls absolutely adore and have bought into the program. The girls all genuinely like each other and have a great chemistry. They have actually talked about holding each other accountable on the court and not taking anything personally when you walk off the court. They believe in themselves and in each of their teammates and aren’t intimidated by any opposing team. My understanding is Nederland has some talented players in middle school right now, but hard to keep them interested in basketball when they look at recent successes by other teams, ie volleyball, soccer and softball.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:06 PM, Mean Machine said:

A strong Little Dribblers Program that works on teaching the young girls fundamentals and skills is a good place to start. It needs to be a program where the world doesn't end if one doesn't win the mini-minor or minor championship, rather put the emphasis on the young players improving.

My daugther was a 4th grader at Lumberton when Vidor started their Little Dribble program back up. I remember her Little Dribbler All-Star Team Coach at Lumberton agreeing to scrimmage Vidor many times that winter and spring, because the Vidor Coach wanted to get their program up and running. It was not about wins and losses, it was about teaching the game to the children. My daughter is a 10th grader now, and through the years l have watched that group of girls at Vidor, that is within a year or two of my daughter, become a one of the hardest working groups in our area.

There has to be commitment from parents and most fundamentally, young girls have to want to play basketball. It is a sport that is not as glamorous as Volleyball, the sport where most tall athletic talent seems to migrate to. There has to be a group of girls that starts to play at a young age, and carries that through high school. 

A large number of the high school players in our area that are really talented at basketball typically will also play AAU and train by themselves and with trainers for many hours outside of any school related practice. They have started this process before middle school. The analogy I always use is "The Iceberg". One only sees 5-10% of an Iceberg (i.e. a girl playing in a game), but 90-95% of the Iceberg is HIDDEN, (i.e. all the individual practice and training, AAU practice and training, etc.).

I have no doubt Nederland could build a competitive girls program, it is just going to take a committed bunch to push it in the right direction. Good Luck.

Great post and I agree a 1000% percent except for the part I put in bold.  It depends on what community you live in because in mine, it's the opposite.  But I do understand what you are saying, it's why our volleyball teams finish at the bottom every year and basketball near the top or at the top...