Vidor @ Baytown Lee

Boneyard Boys

#9, Jackson LaPray  (the kicker), has the speed to get outside, but has not been utilized much, except for kicking. In the Nederland game, he scored two TDs outside, just outran the defense to the corner and is the fastest player on the team.  Should see more action running the ball this week as half the usual starting backfield will see defensive duty instead.

5 hours ago, Bulldogpower said:

As a outsider looking in for the last 13 years Hagar imo Vidor doesn’t have a “tradition” type pride issue, it’s well known the Pirates are proud to fight and play for JM. I think personally...... needs to get out of the slot T, it’s dead, it’s nearly useless against the competition that Vidor must face, they don’t play in a 3A district where it can work, sure Vidor runs it and some years are better than others but there isn’t much consistency in the wins.  Jeff made the statement he didn’t have the athleticism the other schools had, that was years ago, time to test the gene pool again see where the strengths are. When I was in school it was a bit of a joke when we played Vidor as every call was “run da ball!” Idk like I said just a outside opinion. 

Let me make it clear, my post was in no way a condemnation of Coach Matthews or the program.  He gets 110% out of the kids.  Any team coming off 2 heartbreaking losses like they did, would be affected somewhat.  Actually, just an opinion that a winning tradition is an advantage.  

If I had a son playing, I'd be thrilled for him to play for Coach Matthews.  Sure, I think if they worked on, and passed more, they'd be more successful, but I've seen Vidor score more points in one game than they scored in a whole season with this offense.  And in the first 5 games, they scored 188 points, an Avg 37.6 a game, including 36 vs Crosby and 32 against PNG.  Even now they're averaging 32.75 a game.  That's not to shabby.  Perhaps it's not the offense that's the problem.  

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Let me make it clear, my post was in no way a condemnation of Coach Matthews or the program.  He gets 110% out of the kids.  Any team coming off 2 heartbreaking losses like they did, would be affected somewhat.  Actually, just an opinion that a winning tradition is an advantage.  

If I had a son playing, I'd be thrilled for him to play for Coach Matthews.  Sure, I think if they worked on, and passed more, they'd be more successful, but I've seen Vidor score more points in one game than they scored in a whole season with this offense.  And in the first 5 games, they scored 188 points, an Avg 37.6 a game, including 36 vs Crosby and 32 against PNG.  Even now they're averaging 32.75 a game.  That's not to shabby.  Perhaps it's not the offense that's the problem.  

The defense has definitely been a problem at times this year but they get put in terrible situations by the offense. We have had way too many consecutive 3 and out drives this season, especially in the first half. Or the dreaded chop block calls we see every week that put us way behind the chains. The defense has been on the field too much, we haven’t been able to sustain our usual ground and pound time consuming drives. I hear we are making changes and beefing up the defense this week, you may see the starting QB or RB now starting on defense. We will see how the offense works out, I think they are moving some youngsters up from JV to fill in.

28 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

The defense has definitely been a problem at times this year but they get put in terrible situations by the offense. We have had way too many consecutive 3 and out drives this season, especially in the first half. Or the dreaded chop block calls we see every week that put us way behind the chains. The defense has been on the field too much, we haven’t been able to sustain our usual ground and pound time consuming drives. I hear we are making changes and beefing up the defense this week, you may see the starting QB or RB now starting on defense. We will see how the offense works out, I think they are moving some youngsters up from JV to fill in.

OOL, but I like your post.  Thanks for the eyewitness analysis.  And again, not blaming the kids, they give it everything they have for Matthews, and that’s all anyone can ask.  Good luck to the Pirates tomorrow night.

Depth in general seems to be problematic in Vidor. Their athletic (football specifically) enrollment numbers aren't anywhere near the level of other schools. Seems like the sidelines have less and less bodies on them every year. And I don't know if kids are losing interest, or if parents push for other sports with all the revelations of CTE. For fielding such a small amount of players, it's ashamed their school enrollment numbers keep them aligned where they are.

I believe some parents are steering their kids toward other sports due to concussion concerns and other injuries with long lasting effects.   Different attitudes about football in that respect than a few years ago.  Enrollment numbers are dropping and it wouldn’t surprise me if we’re at 4A D1 numbers in a couple of realignment cycles