What is the best football tradition school in Texas

Guest Horns79

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wouldn't personally have put Stephenville in the Top 5, but to each his own. As far as Permain's qualifications, they have six state titles, 11 state finals appearances, two national "titles" and a win-loss record second only to (cough, cough) West Orange-Stark, and a novel, two movies (Friday Night Lights and Varsity Blues) and a television series based on its tradition. Which TV show is based on Stephenville?

If anyone has to question Permian, all that needs to be said is MOJO.  People think the immediate era is all there is but back 20 or so years when you thought Texas football you thought Permian.

I remember my mom sitting me in front of the TV I think it was 1989 when they made state, all i heard on the TV was "MOJO". I knew then it was something about that school's tradition with football.

You cant talk about Texas high school football tradition without including the Brownwood Lions or Plano Wildcats.  Both schools have won 7 state championships, most in Texas.  SLC might now have 7 as well.

Others of note:

Permian, Stephenville, LaMarque, Austin Westlake, Temple, Celina, Houston Yates, PNG, Schulenburg, Waco, Abilene, Wichita Falls, Cuero, Refugio, Ennis, Sealy, Dangerfield, Converse Judson, WOS, Pilot Point.

Guest EagleFan01

What about Newton they have a really good tradition and are steadily building that resume up.... People tend to forget about these guys for some reason I don't know why..... I don't know if you guys no this but if Newton makes the playoffs this coming up season that would be 22 straight playoffs apperances now that is impressive.. With a few state titles in there also.. Many deep playoff run's in there two so you guys don't forget about Barbay and his boys down there in Newton.

Well, I wouldn't personally have put Stephenville in the Top 5, but to each his own. As far as Permain's qualifications, they have six state titles, 11 state finals appearances, two national "titles" and a win-loss record second only to (cough, cough) West Orange-Stark, and a novel, two movies (Friday Night Lights and Varsity Blues) and a television series based on its tradition. Which TV show is based on Stephenville?

Stephenville Has won 4 state titles. How many (cough cough) has WOS won ?

I wasn't touting us, I was touting Permian. I am, however, proud of our winning percentage. We've won two titles and played for four in just 29 years of existence, by the way. Stephenville has been around for 87 years. So Stephenville has a title for every 22 years, while WO-S has one for every 15 years. Numbers are cool.

Again, I wouldn't try to put us in as the "best tradition," but we do have the top winning percentage, which is awesome. Stephenville's is under 60 percent. Thanks.

The question is best tradition not most state titles or highest winning percentage. It is tradition, which may include winning but is not the only thing. There is several other  things that bring tradition. I will also be a homer here and say PNG is at least top 5 in state. Plano is there also.

The question is best tradition not most state titles or highest winning percentage. It is tradition, which may include winning but is not the only thing. There is several other  things that bring tradition. I will also be a homer here and say PNG is at least top 5 in state. Plano is there also.

That was the question that I posed at the beginning of this thread. Is the basis of the most tradition determined by wins. Anyone that saw the state title game between PN-G and Stephenville saw Stephenville bring about 8,000 people to the game and saw PN-G bring about 24,000.

I think fan support, winning tradition, school spirit by students, school traditions like Permian's MOJO or PN-G's totem pole make tradition.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder