Status of SE Texas Boy's soccer!

SFA

One fan's view.

High School

Top local boys High School teams –

1a. West Brooks – for making the play-offs in a very tough 5A district that includes Kingwood a perennial state powerhouse.

1b. Kelly for making the 2nd round of the TAPPS 6A playoffs, beating the local competition, Louisiana and Houston teams.  I wish Kelly and WB would have played each other.

2. Lumberton for winning District

3. Central for coming a close 2nd in district.

4. PN-G for making the play-offs.

The local schools need to play more out of area teams and a tougher non-district schedule to improve.  They need to play some Houston area teams if they are to go further in the playoffs.  On many Houston high school teams, every player is on an EDDOA level club team.  Coaches also need to encourage their players to play club ball at the highest level possible to develop and hone their skills against the best players in the area. Your touch on the soccer ball needs to be worked on and developed all year long.

Soccer levels outside of high school.

1. STYSA (South Texas Youth Soccer Association) Olympic Development Team (all south Texas)

2. Dynamo Youth Academy (Houston and surrounding areas)

3. *EDDOA (Eastern District Division One Association) Premier (2 teams)

4. EDDOA Classic (8 teams)

5. EDDOA Competitive (8 teams)

6. Super 2 Silver (6 teams)

7. Super 2 Bronze (6-8 teams)

8. Division II

9. Division III (recreational)

*Eastern District is the east region of STYSA

There are currently no local ODP players, although Matt Kirby played for the 90 ODP STYSA team for a couple of years.

Dynamo Youth Academy – Matt Kirby (Kelly)

EDDOA Div 1

U-18 No local teams or players

U-17 No local teams

Players: Matt Kirby (Kelly) -TSC Texas 5th place Classic

Fernado Uribe (Central)– NC United Pumas 8th place Classic

Ben Waldrup (Lumberton) – ?

U-16 No local teams

Players: Nathan Stockie (Kelly) –TSC Texas Elite 5th place Classic

U-15 Gulf Coast Elite 8th place in Competitive. 0-14 record will be regulated to Super 2 Division in the Fall.  I believe these are the PN-G & Nederland freshmen.

ED Super 2

U-19 – Alliance FC,  5th Place, Also took 2nd place in 2006 Winter STYSA Super 2 Championship.  Mainly West Brook Varsity.

Gulf Coast Elite, 8th Place, PN-G and Nederland boys?

Spindletop Select, 10th place, Kelly, Vidor and WB players

U-18 – No local teams or players

U-17 – No local teams or players

U-16 – Spindletop Select 91, 4th place Bronze Group, WB, Nederland, PN-G, Silsbee and Memorial players.

U-15 – Spindletop Select 92, 5th place Silver Group, Kelly, West Brook and Lumberton players.

Div 2 – I am sure there are many players playing D2 level.  It looks like a Spindletop team represented our area in the U-15 Easter District playoffs. The Orange County HotShots represented in the U-16 age group.  None of these teams made it out of the Eastern District to the State Playoffs.

It looks like the Spindletop U-19 team is the only local team playing in a Spring Cup.  They are in the Directors Cup (State competition).  Kirby will probably be playing in the National Cup competition and Uribe, Waldrup and Stockie will probably be playing in the President’s Cup (Regional Competition).

If you are playing Division II or Super 2 you are probably not in the discussion for best local player at any position.  The difference in skill and speed between the S2 and EDDOA is absolutely tremendous.  Every player on a high school aged EDDOA Classic team is most likely as good, or better than any player on your high school team.  Our 4 local Div 1 players compete against state and regional ODP players nearly every week.  We need more local players to step up to this level.  Lithicum (WB), Deavers (Silsbee), Horning (Kelly), Washburn (Nederland) and Poole (Lumberton) are some of the players that can play at that level.

To improve our local soccer pool the best players need to play at the Div. 1 level either for an established club or the local clubs (Gulf Coast and Spindletop).  If a local club wants to be competitive at the EDDOA level then they need to consolidate their talent from the whole region.  We are not yet deep enough (talent wise) to compete if South & Mid County try to field Div 1 teams without Beaumont, Orange and Hardin players.  This is evidenced by the 0-14 record of the only local D-1 team.

Also, if you want to play in College you need to play at the D1 club level.  College coaches spend more time recruiting from the big clubs with successful D1 teams than at high schools.  A good D1 team will usually play at a number of College Showcase tournaments, where college coaches can see a lot of good players at one site rather than travel around to various high school venues.

Information on standings, records and level of play came from the following web sites:

www.stxsoccer.org

www.eddoa.org

www.edsuper2.com

Information on the players and club teams was gleaned form this forum.  If there are any other EDDOA players out there, I have not heard of them in this discussion group.  Also, the composition of the club teams is based partially on personal knowledge and information from this forum.  If you can fill in the blanks or correct mistakes, please do.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local schools need to play more out of area teams and a tougher non-district schedule to improve.  They need to play some Houston area teams if they are to go further in the playoffs. 

UIL put the kibosh on this idea by making our local 4A district a 10 team league.  That leaves time for ONE tournament and ONE open date. 

West Brook, for many years, has gone to the Governor's Cup in Georgetown - it doesn't get much better than that.  Many local schools went to the Brenham 4A Showcase in previous years.  This is a creme de la creme weekend for 4A's from all over the state.  As far as playing in Houston, they won't play you unless you go there, and we do have a budget that we must stick to.  And if you decide to go to a tournament in the Houston area, get ready for a ton of cards and many injuries.  I could go on and on with horror stories about getting cusssed out in Spanish by a player with a hispanic official near by, getting physically abused by big 5A schools with more than twice our enrollment, playing in places where I feared for the safety of my players and fans...

Anyway, as to the jist of your post, you could not be more SPOT ON!  I'm not in the know directly in the local club scene, but I can tell you from my vantage point it seems that the numbers are down.  I wish somehow, as you say, all of the local clubs could consolidate a Mid and South County team along with a Beaumont / Hardin / Orange County team that would compete at the highest level.  And I don't know if there is a trainer shortage or if local kids are content with just having fun, but it seems as if too many of them are playing glorified Rec Soccer.

Sorry, I can’t comment much on the girl’s game as I have boys who have played soccer locally and have watched many of the current crop of high school players develop through the club system.  However a quick check of some websites show that Spindletop has a number of girl’s teams playing Div 1 at the younger age groups U-11 to U13 or so.  And we have had a handful of girls sign with D-1 colleges the last couple of years.  Lumberton had a player to Lamar this year and Kelly and West Brook had a player each to UTEP last year.  I also believe there are a couple of WB girls playing Div 1 for the Texas Wave out of the Humble/Kingwood area.  So by some measures the girl’s game has had more success.

The girls have many more scholarships available for them in soccer than the men do.  But either way its good to see the ladies from our area doing so well.  The high school programs arent as lucky as club teams as they dont have the talent consolidted onto one team.  The club teams players are spread over the area and so the high school teams have players that dont play any club but just go out for soccer in the high school.  And you have to play the game to perfect the game.   

EDDOA Div 1

U-18 No local teams or players

U-17 No local teams

Players: Matt Kirby (Kelly) -TSC Texas 5th place Classic

Fernado Uribe (Central) NC United Pumas 8th place Classic

Ben Waldrup (Lumberton) ?

U-16 No local teams

Players: Nathan Stockie (Kelly) TSC Texas Elite 5th place Classic

U-15 Gulf Coast Elite 8th place in Competitive. 0-14 record will be regulated to

His name is BRENT waldrup and he plays for space city

I saw an article about Matthew Deaver of Silsbee in the Silsbee Bee.  He has joined the Texans U-16 team.  He made the Div 1 top level team.  They will be playing in the National Cup in April and May.

O really.... I think I remember him from when we played Silsbee. Funny though, he didnt look like he was all that great. He must have had an off night I guess.

• 4 months later...

SFA's post (see 1st post on topic) was quite enlightening last spring so I kept my ear to the ground during the summer to see if any of the local players took his advice and headed west to Houston. Several players did take your advice, SFA, and earned positions with top quality clubs. Here is what I have learned:

Zach Clark - TSC Texans Red 91/92 (1st team) - Div. I Classic Level

Matt Deaver - Texans FC Red 90/91 (1st team) - Div. I Premier Level

Matt Kirby - TSC Texans Red 89/90 (1st team) - Div. I Premier Level (?)

Nat Lombardo - Texans FC Black 91/92 (2nd team) - Div. I Classic Level

Scott Poole - Texans FC Red 91/92 (1st team) - Div. I Premier Level

Nathan Stockie - TSC Texans Black 90/91 (2nd team) - Div. I Classic Level

Brent Waldrup - Space City 89/90 (1st team) - Div. I Competitive Level

If anyone has any additions or corrections please post them. Good luck to all these local players who stepped out to improve their game! I'm sure many others will also improve by playing in the local clubs as well. Good luck to these guys too.

• 1 month later...

???  How is the club season going?  It looks like the Spindletop U-19's are having a great season, having won at least 1 preseason tournament and I believe are currently undefeated in the fall S2 season.  What schools besides West Brook, Kelly and Vidor have players on this team?  How are you guys playing D1 doing.  A few of you are playing at the very highest level in the Premier league, playing Austin, Dallas and Oklahoma teams.  The competition has to be great.  You must be competing against some outstanding players.  Are your teams holding their own?

For U-19 spindeltop, Vidor doesnt have any players on our team but Central does, with the West Brook and Kelly guys....and some Lamar guys. This season has been very good so far. We won both pre-seasn tournaments and are currently undefeated with only one goal scored on us....but it was an own goal. This weekend we MIGHT be playing Texas Premier, they should test us, so far they are undefeated and after talking to Jan (the head trainer for spindletop) they sound like they will be very good.

• 4 weeks later...

???  How is the club season going?  It looks like the Spindletop U-19's are having a great season, having won at least 1 preseason tournament and I believe are currently undefeated in the fall S2 season.  What schools besides West Brook, Kelly and Vidor have players on this team?  How are you guys playing D1 doing.  A few of you are playing at the very highest level in the Premier league, playing Austin, Dallas and Oklahoma teams.  The competition has to be great.  You must be competing against some outstanding players.  Are your teams holding their own?

As the fall season is winding down I checked up on these players in an will attempt to answer your question. The following is a summary for those playing in Houston:

Zach Clark - TSC Texans 91/92 - BU16 Classic Div I      0 Win, 6 losses 2 ties    6th place

Matt Deaver - Dropped out due to tennis conflicts

Matt Kirby - TSC Texans 89/90 - Premier League - Top DivI    ?????????????  (help)

Nat Lombardo - Texans FC 91/92 Black - BU16 Classic Div I    1-5-2      5th place

Scott Poole - Texans FC 92 Red - Premier League - Top Div I    9-1-1        2nd place (only loss was to Dallas Texans 92)    Understand they will begin National League (new league established by US Youth Soccer) play over Thanksgiving Holidays. (Raleigh, North Carolina)

Nathan Stockie - TSC Texans Elite 91 - BU17 Classic Div I        3-2-3      3rd place

Brent Waldrip - Space City 90 - BU18 Comp Div I                    4-1-3        2nd place

Congratulations to all on excellent play this fall!!!! My understanding is there was some great competition in all levels of play. I saw several games at different levels and without a doubt the Premier League play is incredible! If you ever get a chance to see (or play) a Premier League game you will understand my comment.

Please, if there are any corrections or additions to the above, please post.

The same holds true for girls. If you are not playing Div. 1 level or have several years experience there, then you are probably not in the discussion of the best players in the area.

Spindletop U-15 girls has consistently been the area's top Div. 1 team for the past several years. Several girls from that team are already among the best in Southeast Texas even though they are freshmen.

The vidor club team did really good this year.  We tied kellys club players twice and then lost when we were missing one of our best players.  I think we could compete in Kellys league.  not trying to talk smack on Kelly but just my opinion.  We have some good players.

Well actually those were Kelly/WB/Nederland's bench and JV players, only a few of them were varsity players. But nonetheless yall still did play pretty well. As of competing in Kelly's district, I'm not sure about that. Those are some of the best teams in the state... But Vidor will be decent this year. Not knocking my former team from last year, just lets wait till this season gets started to see how good yall are...

The vidor club team did really good this year.  We tied kellys club players twice and then lost when we were missing one of our best players.  I think we could compete in Kellys league.  not trying to talk smack on Kelly but just my opinion.  We have some good players.

haha, no you didnt play kellys club team.. you played a team with two kelly sophmore varsity players and and one sophmore jv player.. the team was coached by four of kellys upperclassmen varsity players, but that team was closer to being nederlands underclassmen team than kellys club team. Six varsity kelly players are on U19 Spindeltop Select and we have three others in the Texans and one of the texans is also a dynamo..so you played two out of our eleven club players...

haha, no you didnt play kellys club team.. you played a team with two kelly sophmore varsity players and and one sophmore jv player.. the team was coached by four of kellys upperclassmen varsity players, but that team was closer to being nederlands underclassmen team than kellys club team. Six varsity kelly players are on U19 Spindeltop Select and we have three others in the Texans and one of the texans is also a dynamo..so you played two out of our eleven club players...

Haha I had you hooked up there Beav...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder