San Augustine 33 Joaquin 20/FINAL

WOSgrad

Two good teams I got to see last night. SA with very good skill guys, particularly #13. SFA commit at WR and he is legit. I thought Joaquin had the size advantage, SA the speed and athletic ability.

To me, one of if not the key to the game was in the first couple of drives. SA had the ball first but was forced to punt. Joaquin started on their own 10. The Rams took 9+ minutes off the clock and marched down to Wolves 10, but missed a 26 yd FG. Very next play, SA RB Davis took it to the house for 90 yard TD. Rams went 3 and out on next possession and SA scored in 5 plays. 13-0 SA. The style offense that Joaquin plays is not conducive to being behind. After it was evident that Joaquin would not throw, SA loaded the box.

Joaquin was missing to important players that could have opened their offense up some, but I still think the result would be the same, an SA win.

I also believe these two will face each other in the regional finals. Which brings me to make this following comment:

The end of the game was very interesting, to say the least. SA had the ball, 1st and goal at 3 yard line, leading 33-20, 1:18 left on clock, Joaquin with no timeouts left. So all SA had to do was snap and kneel 3 times, game is over. Instead, SA runs a play and scores, but a holding call negates the TD. Now 1st and goal from 13. SA tries a pass to endzone, incomplete. Stops clock with 1:00 left. SA runs another play, but this time a procedure call sets them back 5 yards. SA calls time out. Then tries another pass play, incomplete. Stops the clock again. Another running play then finally a kneel down. Game over. One that should have been over 10 minutes earlier. 

Not sure what the mindset was but IMO you don't give any incentive to the opposing team, particularly one that you very well may face in the playoffs. Also, why risk injury to a several of your two way players who were on the field trying to score on those last few plays. Just kneel it, and move on. Besides, the game had got pretty chippy in the late stages. No need to fuel that fire.

IMO, the better team won and I would favor SA in a rematch as well. But give a team extra incentive, well......