SETX Shortcomings

PlayActionPass

8 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

Keys to Success:

1.  Tradition? Hardly.  It helps for a team to have some, but not if the tradition includes losing.   Change to "Winning Tradition"

2.  Coaching Continuity?  Possibly..  But again... not if there is no success.  If your community/players NEVER or RARELY have to

endure a change in coaching philosophy it is a big advantage.  There are no short learning curves in those programs. 

One School...ahem....has 30+ years of coaching philosophy. 

3.  Talented Athletes?  No argument there.  A must, though at the High School Level, one truly gifted athlete gets you a big head start.

Throw in 2, 3, 4, 5 at one time.  Good lord.  

4.  Community Support?  It helps tremendously.  No athlete can resist the roar of the crowd.  Its intoxicating.

I personally believe that when talented athletes, not the gifted ones, stay in their community.

Then encourage acceptance of a philosophy that was there before them, with them and will be there after them, then there can

be no confusion of what is expected from them.   Success.  

Note:  There has to be multiple examples of success.   Championship trophies, collegiate players, professional players, etc.

Those success stories have to continue to be part of the community to cement the winning philosophy.

For our area, West Orange-Stark got it right.  Lucky? Maybe, all winning traditions need a little luck here and there.

It doesn't matter.  That program has found what works for their community.  Why change it....

I love when WOS comes to town. It brings out the best in our athletes.    Enjoy their brand of football. 

The last three years of WOS football is kinda like the Greek Spartans of old. 

You can talk noise, no problem, but you'll probably end up at the bottom of a deep hole or piled up next to the others.

I'm done. Respect.

#TigerNation

:):):):):)

On 12/8/2016 at 8:58 PM, WOSgrad said:

Southeast Texas schools have an abundance of very good atheletes , the difference at WOS is the program that has been in place for many years , basic skills , blocking , tackling . Discipline is essential and Cornell requires it. Conditioning is a key , you will very rarely see a mustang with a cramp or bent over with his hands on his knees trying to get some air .  We've played against some great  atheletes over the years , epic battles with Jasper come to mind , but they could not go 4 quarters at the mustang pace. Last and maybe most important - consistency in very good coaching . But even that suffered at WOS during some periods , we had the teams , but our play selection was not what was required to win 3 or 4 rounds deep.  The perfect storm has been brewing the last several years .

But we will lose some of those good coaches, we always have, many went on the be very successful , Barry Norton at Texas high comes to mind. Several state championships , I think maybe he took that mustang program with him.

I for one would love to see SE Texas teams become state power houses , just takes disciplined hard work. 

The Woodlands

Atascocita

Klein Collins

Cinco Ranch

Foster

WO-S

The problem I have is that you guys are eventually going to have to come to terms with the idea that you do not represent SETX alone (golden triangle) – then trying to claim Newton (who is by many considered to be EAST TX) while leaving out all of the greater Houston area, who oddly enough have 5 other teams playing in the State semi’s this weekend. DFW / CenTX / East Texas are all very large areas (sq. miles) that claim one another and don’t have this Houston/Beaumont separation mentality.  I know this will never change, but I’m trying to get you guys to understand something here. SETX is not Beaumont. Just ask the Houston folk. LOL

WO-S is your greater Beaumont SETX area 4a and below power house. Why? Tradition, culture, expectation. The athletes there are bred and born to win. It’s the closest thing you have in the area that reflects the culture of small town East Texas HS football. Ok, I am done here.

You guys gotta start thinking outside the box. :-)

10 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

The Woodlands

Atascocita

Klein Collins

Cinco Ranch

Foster

WO-S

The problem I have is that you guys are eventually going to have to come to terms with the idea that you do not represent SETX alone (golden triangle) – then trying to claim Newton (who is by many considered to be EAST TX) while leaving out all of the greater Houston area, who oddly enough have 5 other teams playing in the State semi’s this weekend. DFW / CenTX / East Texas are all very large areas (sq. miles) that claim one another and don’t have this Houston/Beaumont separation mentality.  I know this will never change, but I’m trying to get you guys to understand something here. SETX is not Beaumont. Just ask the Houston folk. LOL

WO-S is your greater Beaumont SETX area 4a and below power house. Why? Tradition, culture, expectation. The athletes there are bred and born to win. It’s the closest thing you have in the area that reflects the culture of small town East Texas HS football. Ok, I am done here.

You guys gotta start thinking outside the box. :-)

So we can either choose to claim Houston area schools and say that SETX is successful (the easy way out), or we can continue to think in our own minds that the Golden Triangle is SETX, accept that we haven't had success, and then discuss it on this site.

KEYS TO LONG TERM-SUSTAINED SUCCESS - Repeated deep playoff runs and state championships

1. Good Coaching, that stays for an extended period of time and/or continues the same philosophy by hiring from within the program.

2. Disciplined players with a strong work ethic

3. A winning tradition that the players feel a responsibility to uphold

4. Unselfish players

5. Very good athletes

6. Supportive parents that allow the coaches to coach and defers to them as to how to discipline their kids

7. A vocal, knowledgeable fan base and community that supports the program financially and with attendance at games

8. An Administration that supports the program