BISD/YMBL SouthTexas Shootout 2016 (Dec 1-3)

Hopefully with the tournament now using the Houston Chapter of Officials(Refs), we can get this tournament back to the glory days and get more local schools interested in participating. We will see! I am with the YMBL and hopefully along with BISD, we can make this happen. Here's to a great 2016 BISD/YMBL SouthTexas Shootout tournament. I included what Boys/Girls teams we have so far. Subject to change 

Girls

Local 

Central, West Brook, Legacy, Ozen, PA Memorial 

Out of Town

Harker Heights, Fort Bend Elkins, Crowley, Nimitz, Lamar Consolidated, Madison Prep, OP Walker 

Boys

Local

Central, West Brook, Ozen 

Out of Town

Satch, Scarborough, Sharpstown, Austin HS, FB RidgePoint 

2 minutes ago, rohebert said:

BISD gets the teams, we just help out with the tournament. Hopefully it gets better with a change of officials. 

I understand it used to be a big time tournament have you guys ever thought of getting Doug Jones or Jim Hicks from RCSSPORTS  imvolved they could turn it around with one phone call. 

40 minutes ago, rohebert said:

Everything has to go through BISD by UIL regulations, but it is something we can mention for next year. It just used to be the YMBL SouthTexas Shootout until the UIL came along with different rules and BISD wasn't involved, now they have to be. 

Oh ok i understand ,but yes they would definitely help restore it to what it used to be.

5 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Pool play! I say again, pool play!!!

Just cannot have a bracket play tourney with just 8 teams. Nobody wants to play in that format. Coaches want games. Minimum 4-5 games. Has nothing to do with officials.

Only getting three games is just not worth it.

and along with that the level of quality teams who are attending will increase 

6 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Just cannot have a bracket play tourney with just 8 teams. Nobody wants to play in that format. Coaches want games. Minimum 4-5 games. Has nothing to do with officials.

I agree, but officiating has been a big complaint among coaches who have brought their teams in the past. 

8 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

THIS!  The only way to make a strict bracket play tournament worth it is to field the number of teams like the SAISD does (I think 32).  It's going to be hard to get that in Beaumont and if you did, you're going to need a lot more gyms than what they use, especially with the girls' tourney going on at the same time.   Going to pool play is the best quick fix they can do.  I also agree that enlisting the help of the Houston guys like Mamba suggested would be a great move.  To try and get it close to what it once was, you're going to have to get a lot of Houston support. 

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Nail... meet head. Coaches look for opportunities to play in 5 games. Each tournament counts as two games on your schedule. So playing in a 3 game max isn't ideal. Although sometimes we are forced to do so based on date availability. The YMBL is competing with the Nederland Bulldog Classic, which has a 5 game potential.

13 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

The girls should move their date to a wk later...but even if they didnt BISD has too many gyms not make this a successful tournament...South Park(2gyms),Ozen(2gyms,WB(2gyms,Central(2gyms),Odom(2gyms),MLK, Pietzch,..etc etc 

We use the Montagne center and McDonald gym. We have the Ozen gym available if needed. 

26 minutes ago, rohebert said:

I will pass all this great info along to the chairman over the tournament and Ron Jackson of BISD. If anyone on here knows Ron Jackson, please pass along any and all ideas to him so we can get this tournament back to where it used to be. Thanks 

I have already had several conversations with Ron on this subject. In his defense, his hands are somewhat tied.

I think it's time to have the boys and girls tourneys on different weeks.

I realize needing volunteers and being able to cover all the games is a great task. Kudos to the YMBL for what they do.