Question about PAM's student numbers regarding football

PA4Real

I heard someone say its a disadvantage to some of the smaller schools in 5a playing PAM, because of the school's 2,100 student enrollment, that they will have an advantage in some way. That they're still a 6a team playing 5a teams.  I think a lil over half of PAM's students are Hispanic and don't play football or basketball.  Does that help the argument that PAM doesn't even have a big pool of players to pick from as other area schools.  Just a conversation I overheard and would like some feedback.

5 minutes ago, PA4Real said:

I heard someone say its a disadvantage to some of the smaller schools in 5a playing PAM, because of the school's 2,100 student enrollment, that they will have an advantage in some way. That they're still a 6a team playing 5a teams.  I think a lil over half of PAM's students are Hispanic and don't play football or basketball.  Does that help the argument that PAM doesn't even have a big pool of players to pick from as other area schools.  Just a conversation I overheard and would like some feedback.

As much as this might be true, its still the reason we have numbers to distinguish classification. Its easy to have this argument when your the school with 2100 problem then if your the school with 1000. At the end the day when you have 1000 more kids that means 1000 more options. You will never hear anybody say UIL has got this right

I think it's definitely some truth in that, enrollment means nothing if you don't have participation , basically kids that are interested , and with a school of 2000 kids with half Hispanic mixed with a few Asians, those kids are just not interested in Football as much , the team is probably 98% African American , including Fresh. & J.V,  So that can give you a idea into who's interested and who's not , I still think the talent pool into which Kenny has to choose from is outstanding tho , he just has to do something with it..

There's no good answer.  We're the smallest school in our district since Jasper dropped down.  You could add the entire Newton student body to ours and we still wouldn't be as big as our cross-town district rival, LCM.  

You just have to deal with it and play who's in front of you.  

Quality vs. Quanity.  PAM started out around 2800 and those same percentage of Hispanics and Asians didn't play climaxing with a Semi-final appeareance in 2011.  I never bought the numbers argument since half of the population is female.  It's scheme and tradition of rebuilding.  That spread O is too personnel driven vs. scheme driven which lead to PAM's inconsistencies over the years.......

Put here's something to think about.......

This group of Seniors and Juniors have played a QB at Channelview who starts for Alabama

They had to try to block and Dlineman from State Champion Northshore who now starts for UofH

Who in this district does PAM have to fear from a personnel standpoint??????

Seriously? So the overwhelmingly Hispanic schools in HISD should be playing 1A? lol. how has no one responded to this yet? omg, think about it.

"Uhhhh, UIL, we have a whole bunch of nerdy white kids that wouldn't dream of touching a football, so we really need permission to play down a few sizes" lol.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

There's no good answer.  We're the smallest school in our district since Jasper dropped down.  You could add the entire Newton student body to ours and we still wouldn't be as big as our cross-town district rival, LCM.  

You just have to deal with it and play who's in front of you.  

True but we only suit up 33 kids and the rest are in the band. Also I believe we will be in 5a the next go around 

44 minutes ago, LCM17 said:

True but we only suit up 33 kids and the rest are in the band. Also I believe we will be in 5a the next go around 

Probably right... I think we're destined to stay right where we are unless they do some major restructuring of the current classifications.  We'll keep growing just enough to stay ahead of any increases in the lower limit. 

But look at Splendora... they were the biggest school in our district and didn't win a single district game in two seasons.... moved up to 5A and are now having some success.  You just can't tell.  

How is y'all's band looking under new direction?  I'm not as excited about our show as I have been the last few years.  

5 hours ago, PA4Real said:

Really doesn't matter, Chavez and South Houston still have to play 6A. North Shore is over 66% Hispanic and just won the 6A-D1 title. At the end of the day a bigger enrollment in the larger classifications means more opportunities for good players regardless of demographics. The smaller the enrollment the more demographics effect the makeup/strength of your football team.

8 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Really doesn't matter, Chavez and South Houston still have to play 6A. North Shore is over 66% Hispanic and just won the 6A-D1 title. At the end of the day a bigger enrollment in the larger classifications means more opportunities for good players regardless of demographics. The smaller the enrollment the more demographics effect the makeup/strength of your football team.

The numbers are suitable for success as we speak but, with the spiraling enrollment come fewer athletes. 

1 hour ago, SFA85 said:

Quality vs. Quanity.  PAM started out around 2800 and those same percentage of Hispanics and Asians didn't play climaxing with a Semi-final appeareance in 2011.  I never bought the numbers argument since half of the population is female.  It's scheme and tradition of rebuilding.  That spread O is too personnel driven vs. scheme driven which lead to PAM's inconsistencies over the years.......

Put here's something to think about.......

This group of Seniors and Juniors have played a QB at Channelview who starts for Alabama

They had to try to block and Dlineman from State Champion Northshore who now starts for UofH

Who in this district does PAM have to fear from a personnel standpoint??????

Personnel wise, absolutely no one.

West Brook has an enrollment of 2495, and is one of the smaller schools in 12-6A. The Bruins routinely compete against schools with an enrollment of 4000 students, and higher. Is that necessarily fair? No. But, that's the way the UIL chooses to make it, and if we want to play, we have to play by their rules. Deal with it.