Transferring trend

hsforlife89

38 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The only way to possibly stop it is to make every single transfer sit out 1 calendar year.  No matter what.  

If that isn't done (and it won't be), then it will never stop.

But then you're punishing the legitimate transfers by making them lose a year. It's nearly impossible to legislate who is transferring and for what reason.

"Tyler said the decision to transfer was up to him and his father. Their reasoning: Ozen head coach 

This is the hidden content, please
 was on his way out and a fourth coach in four years did not appeal to either of them. "

How is that not a move for athletic purposes? I don't care really. Silsbee is gonna beat my team with or without him. 

12 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

But then you're punishing the legitimate transfers by making them lose a year. It's nearly impossible to legislate who is transferring and for what reason.

That's why I said it won't happen.  But technically speaking...if a student truly is transferring for academic reasons then playing a year of JV shouldn't matter.

But because of rental properties and apartment complexes, the guardian of a student can literally change their permanent address every week.  According to UIL, as long as the parent/guardian moves into a new school district the athlete only has to sit 15 calendar days.  Impossible to know if they moved so the kid could be on a better team, or have better teachers, new job, change of scenery...or whatever.  Literally impossible.  As long as the box is checked "did not move for athletic purposes" then nothing can be done.

However...I'd be willing to wager that a vast majority of these transfers wouldn't happen if they had to sit a year athletically from varsity competition.  Meaning...they likely are transferring for athletic purposes.

8 minutes ago, Kegger said:

"Tyler said the decision to transfer was up to him and his father. Their reasoning: Ozen head coach 

was on his way out and a fourth coach in four years did not appeal to either of them. "

How is that not a move for athletic purposes? I don't care really. Silsbee is gonna beat my team with or without him. 

Valid point

7 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That's why I said it won't happen.  But technically speaking...if a student truly is transferring for academic reasons then playing a year of JV shouldn't matter.

But because of rental properties and apartment complexes, the guardian of a student can literally change their permanent address every week.  According to UIL, as long as the parent/guardian moves into a new school district the athlete only has to sit 15 calendar days.  Impossible to know if they moved so the kid could be on a better team, or have better teachers, new job, change of scenery...or whatever.  Literally impossible.  As long as the box is checked "did not move for athletic purposes" then nothing can be done.

However...I'd be willing to wager that a vast majority of these transfers wouldn't happen if they had to sit a year athletically from varsity competition.  Meaning...they likely are transferring for athletic purposes.

Maybe if they're a freshman or sophomore. But if I have to transfer from one part of the state to another or into Texas from out-of-state and I'm a senior or junior, why should I have to sit out because some people don't like when people transfer?

1 hour ago, GCMPats said:

Prima donnas. 

No you are wrong there.  The quarterback for Nederland  was a transfer from Memorial. he transferred because he was buried on the depth chart.  Now he's a starter and is likely going to beat your GCM patriots whenever y'all play. How do you hate transfers when you don't have talent on your team? you need transfers!!!

11 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

Maybe if they're a freshman or sophomore. But if I have to transfer from one part of the state to another or into Texas from out-of-state and I'm a senior or junior, why should I have to sit out because some people don't like when people transfer?

You seem to be mistaken.  I think...that you think...that I'm arguing that everyone should sit out a year if they transfer.  I'm simply saying that it's the only possible way to keep kids from transferring for the reason(s) of they "want more playing time, are mad at the coach,  or want to play for a winner".  Making every kid sit is the  only way to stop that from happening.

You are correct.  There would be situations where it would be unfair.  But like most things...the good would have to be taken with the bad.

Now personally...I could care less.  But I can guarantee you...less transfers would happen (a lot less) if that were the rule.  But I stand by my previous statement.  If a kid is truly transferring for academic purposes only.  Rigor, college readiness, increase test scores, increase class rank, better educators, wider variety of classes offered....then no.  Playing a year on JV in athletics should not matter.  But because of the current rule, it's possible to get around it.

2 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

No you are wrong there.  The quarterback for Nederland  was a transfer from Memorial. he transferred because he was buried on the depth chart.  Now he's a starter and is likely going to beat your GCM patriots whenever y'all play

Proves my point.  Did the kid sit a calendar year?  If not...then what you just stated is illegal.  

4 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

No you are wrong there.  The quarterback for Nederland  was a transfer from Memorial. he transferred because he was buried on the depth chart.  Now he's a starter and is likely going to beat your GCM patriots whenever y'all play

That would be quite the feat since we don't play.

Why was he "buried on the depth chart" at Memorial? Is he a senior?

Are you saying he transferred for athletic purposes?

3 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

That would be quite the feat since we don't play.

Why was he "buried on the depth chart" at Memorial? Is he a senior?

Are you saying he transferred for athletic purposes?

Junior. And Who knows? I'm not  the coach or that kid but  the Nederland peeps have said that plenty of times. 

9 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Proves my point.  Did the kid sit a calendar year?  If not...then what you just stated is illegal.  

Not if his waiver got approved.  There is a waiver that can be submitted with a fee. Otherwise you are correct you sit a year. I think LN has the pull to do that.  When I. Transferred mine was denied and I had to sit

13 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

Not if his waiver got approved.  There is a waiver that can be submitted with a fee. Otherwise you are correct you sit a year. I think LN has the pull to do that.  When I. Transferred mine was denied and I had to sit

Getting the waiver approved is only part of it.  It still has to at least say on paper that the kid actually moved into the district.  

The PAPF (previous athletic participation form) has to be filled out by the previous school/Athletic director to decide whether or not the kid is moving for athletic reasons.  There is a place on the form for the student's previous address, as well as the new address.  The new address has to be in the school district of the new school.  Or it's getting denied.  Waivers can be filed...but I think the likelihood is pretty low.  If at all.

14 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Getting the waiver approved is only part of it.  It still has to at least say on paper that the kid actually moved into the district.  

The PAPF (previous athletic participation form) has to be filled out by the previous school/Athletic director to decide whether or not the kid is moving for athletic reasons.  There is a place on the form for the student's previous address, as well as the new address.  The new address has to be in the school district of the new school.  Or it's getting denied.  Waivers can be filed...but I think the likelihood is pretty low.  If at all.

I what you're saying becauset again I did it and was denied for the addresses. With port Arthur, groves, Nederland and Port Neches sometimes the separation of cities is across the street. for example twin city hwy in Port Arthur is P.A. On one side of the street and Groves on the other. Literally 20 yards of street. I bring this up because with the cities being close like that getting addresses could be easy especially if your family and extended family live in the area. I transferred from a school that was 30 mins away from my original school. My brother lives in Groves, aunt int Nederland and the rest is in P. A. If you know what you are doing to work the system, you could have your pick of schools 

30 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

It's very rare that a coach will deny the PAPF. It's the old "do unto others" code. 

Just not a fan of all the transferring. Too much focus on the "me" and not the "team". Just an old school opinion.

13 minutes ago, ROSCHONSBIGBRO said:

I what you're saying becauset again I did it and was denied for the addresses. With port Arthur, groves, Nederland and Port Neches sometimes the separation of cities is across the street. for example twin city hwy in Port Arthur is P.A. On one side of the street and Groves on the other. Literally 20 yards of street. I bring this up because with the cities being close like that getting addresses could be easy especially if your family and extended family live in the area. I transferred from a school that was 30 mins away from my original school. My brother lives in Groves, aunt int Nederland and the rest is in P. A. If you know what you are doing to work the system, you could have your pick of schools 

Well, technically every school district in the state has a border.  And every border has property that might be right across the street.  And most people (if they know how the system works) do not need family members in neighboring cities.  Especially because of rental properties and apartment building.  Like I stated earlier.

And also, like I stated earlier.  The only sure-fire way to keep people from "working the system" is to just have everyone sit a year.