Best Tradition??

Guest JoesBros

Guest JoesBros

Ok here we go. I know everyone is getting geared up for high school football and its only march. Lets continue the discussions until the previews are here. Who has the best traditions and why??

Ok, I'll bite.

PN-G has the best traditions. Their school is full of traditions that have been passed down and taught from generation to generation. Speaking as the devout Bulldog that I am, I can freely admit that I went to Taft Elementary and learned the PN-G fight song. I grew up in an Indian household in Nederland with a mother who desperately wanted to send her kids to school on friday wearing purple and white. We travelled the entire state in the 70's watching PNG in playoff games and state championships. My mother had Cherokee in place of her car horn. I still know the words to Cherokee today but is it really any wonder why? PNG has the best tradition because they cultivate it.

It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's that I realized that Nederland even had words to their fight song. Shame on me, I know!

Go ahead fellow Dog fans, let me have it! :D

Guest JoesBros

Well being a graduate from PNG I know exactly what your talking about. But being older and out of school several years now im able to apperciate what I learned and experienced throught the years. But Im glad to not follow them now cause Ive learned to experience other school and not worry about PNG that much anymore. Now when my son is old enough to go to school and he does go to PNG then I wont complain one bit.

Ok I am not hating on Vidor, but there is no way they are in the same league with PNG. I like the previous poster can attest to the learning the fight song at a young age.An older sibling was in Kindergarten or 1st grade and already knew the fight song, and taught it to me when I was 3 or 4. Every little kid at PNG had a purple windbreaker and indian shirt and wore it with pride. Like I said about the fight song on a previous thread, when I heard that I got pumped, and was on the opposing team.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JoesBros

I have to agree with big red on this one (trying not to be bias being a png ex) but I think other than Nederland no one even touches PNG with tradition. Growing up going to school in Port Neches or Groves you looked forward to wearing that purple shirt on fridays. The atmosphere when your in high school on game days are unbelievable. When the pep rally starts and the band is playing cherokee and the football team comes walking down the vicotory trail to their seats and you see the Indian Spirit dancing it gets so loud in the gym it just gives you chills.

• 1 month later...
Guest ECBucFan

PN-G. Even though we didn't live in PN-G, my dad took me around the state Texas for all the playoff games back in the 70's. Later, I took him on the road. Was some real good times. I miss them.

For the homer....WOS 85-98

For the all time, well since I can remember(Im 25) PN-G.

there is something about that dang Cherokee that gets the hair on your neck raised. Believe it or not I used to look forward to playing PNG so I could hear it.

Correct me if Im wrong, but didn't PNG steal that song from us?(WO) :lol:

I also cant forget those beasts about 25 miles south of Houston on 45.........

The Lamarque Cougars

I played against them twice and they bring the crowd and the southeast Texas version of the MOJO.Not to mention both times I thought we were playing a D1 college. :lol:

I thought it was against UIL rules to suit oit that many players :lol:

Coop, you know what Im talking about :wink:

Guest bleed orange

Orangefield also has a rich tradition, we also teach our kids the school song at a young age. And if you ever go to a playoff game no matter what sport we always out number the opposing team 5 to 1 or even more. And we carry on the traditions as adults. We sing the school song every year at the Ed Peveto Memorial scholarship fundraiser. Your right about the PNG fight song, it does get you pumped up.

I'll throw Nederland in there. Game in and game out, home or away 90% of the time we outnumber and are louder than the other team's fans. There are usually tailgate parties 2 or three hours before playoff games. We had as many as Kilgore did last year and they were playing in thier backyard. The last time we played LM in Rice we outnumbered them, again in their back yard. We don't play cherokee (thank god) :lol: but I remember as an elementary student wearing the black and gold on fridays and buying the ribbons with "beat whoever" on them. I worked in the district and they still do that 20 years later. Almost every kid in elementary and middle have black and gold on when we play on Fridays.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder