Best Tradition??

Guest JoesBros

Guest Techsan

Being from SE Texas I know all about the importance of "Cherokee" to the PNG faithful but it should be noted that PNG is not the only school in the state that has this fight song. I went to a High school game up here in the panhandle this past season and much to my amazement the Friona Chieftains a small 2A school struck up "Cherokee" as their players hit the field. I asked an older gentleman about it and he said that he had grown in up in Friona and lived there for 60 years and as long as he could remember that had been the schools fight song. Just thought this was kind of interesting. Id like to know if these renditions of Cherokees were cultivated seperately or if there was some SE Texas connection up here in the Panhandle.

Being from SE Texas I know all about the importance of "Cherokee" to the PNG faithful but it should be noted that PNG is not the only school in the state that has this fight song. I went to a High school game up here in the panhandle this past season and much to my amazement the Friona Chieftains a small 2A school struck up "Cherokee" as their players hit the field. I asked an older gentleman about it and he said that he had grown in up in Friona and lived there for 60 years and as long as he could remember that had been the schools fight song. Just thought this was kind of interesting. Id like to know if these renditions of Cherokees were cultivated seperately or if there was some SE Texas connection up here in the Panhandle.

Hmmm very interesting. I also know that the West Orange Cheifs had that fight song also(before they were West Orange -Stark)

Guest bulldogbark

being from Jasper I would have to say I have heard that Cherokee song one to many times :lol: I does get on the nerves of the opposing team....but then again I guess our barking does the same thing. I am just glad that we dont have to play PNG this year :P

Being an NDN and married to a lady bulldog.........I'll go with marital blis and say its a tie between PN-G and NED for our area..........My wife has no intrest in sports period but that one week a year you better believe she wants to know the score, thats passion.............lol. I know both kids north and south of twin city learn early about their own friday night rituals. Mine are getting double!!

I too have heard the poor little indian boys version.........LOL.......some times on a day to day basis depending on the results...........lol

maybe thats why it sounds so much lowder when PNG and NED play each other ...........both sides are singing.................I love both places...............you cant help it once you've lived it and married into it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder