I heard a rumor!

Raiders94

13 hours ago, Yeoj said:

WB won"t drop down. If you look back at their enrollment history, WB's numbers have been consistent. When Ozen opened Central took an enrollment hit. And, every since Ozen started having issues, Central has gotten a boost in enrollment. If anything WB will continue to be a small 6A with Central and Ozen balancing out as medium sized 5A schools. Plus enforcing a zoning policy is fine, but quality of education will make parents like me take my kid to whichever school is offering the best education.

If a parent can just bring a kid to whatever school they want to, what's the point of having school zones?  The point of having school zones is if you live in a particular boundary, you go to this particular school...correct me if I'm wrong. 

53 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

If a parent can just bring a kid to whatever school they want to, what's the point of having school zones?  The point of having school zones is if you live in a particular boundary, you go to this particular school...correct me if I'm wrong. 

I think his point is this...  I believe Ozen and Central are academically below standards, therefore, kids can transfer to another school or district with no repercussions.  West Brook is above standards, therefore, the majority of the kids looking to move and not leave Beaumont go to West Brook.  West Brook benifits as their enrollment shows....  Yeoj has a high schooler at WB that excels academically, so I see why he's adamant about this...

33 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I think his point is this...  I believe Ozen and Central are academically below standards, therefore, kids can transfer to another school or district with no repercussions.  West Brook is above standards, therefore, the majority of the kids looking to move and not leave Beaumont go to West Brook.  West Brook benifits as their enrollment shows....  Yeoj has a high schooler at WB that excels academically, so I see why he's adamant about this...

Just curious, he can answer this or you can.  If not for this rule, what school would his child be at?

Also, to me, how do you ever get the other 2 schools to improve if you continue to allow the "smart kids" (not saying there are no smart kids at the other 2) to transfer?  I have a sophomore and freshman at Central this year.  My freshman just left Odom going through the Pegasus Academic program.  I know it's middle school but he finished very high in his class, receiving several awards.  He is at a high school Chemical engineering camp at this very moment at Lamar yet still will play football and run track. I feel like he will graduate from Central in the top 5% if not higher.  My point is that there are kids that excel academically at all 3 schools, they should get stricter with the boundaries or have none at all...

10 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Also, to me, how do you ever get the other 2 schools to improve if you continue to allow the "smart kids" (not saying there are no smart kids at the other 2) to transfer?  I have a sophomore and freshman at Central this year.  My freshman just left Odom going through the Pegasus Academic program.  I know it's middle school but he finished very high in his class, receiving several awards.  He is at a high school Chemical engineering camp at this very moment at Lamar yet still will play football and run track. I feel like he will graduate from Central in the top 5% if not higher.  My point is that there are kids that excel academically at all 3 schools, they should get stricter with the boundaries or have none at all...

moving kids to lower performing schools just to boost ratings or test scores doesn't fix the issue. It is smoke and mirrors.  The problem needs to be addressed at the campus that is having problems and with the kids who are falling behind.

14 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Just curious, he can answer this or you can.  If not for this rule, what school would his child be at?

Yes, I have a daughter at Central as well and she finished as the #1 freshman and in the top 5% sophmore the last spring, so she will finish high at Central.  Being around those circle of kids, there are really smart kids at each school, imo.

17 minutes ago, bigdog said:

moving kids to lower performing schools just to boost ratings or test scores doesn't fix the issue. It is smoke and mirrors.  The problem needs to be addressed at the campus that is having problems and with the kids who are falling behind.

Well if Ozen is falling behind it seems as though the teachers are in the process of getting that fixed, seen multiple news stories on them spending their Summer working on just that. 

39 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Well if Ozen is falling behind it seems as though the teachers are in the process of getting that fixed, seen multiple news stories on them spending their Summer working on just that. 

I hope so ,it's not the students per say, they need more qualified teachers for all subjects. During the BISD  turmoil they cut a lot of good teachers. Their are good academic students at Ozen ,my daughter happen to be one of them was one of top students at Odom, and at Ozen as well. I also have two others that graduated and are now working very well paying jobs. My point is, it is not the smart students that are lacking at Ozen it is the lack of more qualified teachers. You can get a quality education at any school ,sometimes it just take more self initiative.

A students success depends on three things. The teacher, the student, and the parents. If one of these does not give 100% it is hard to have success and the if that happens the student always suffers. The most important part of these is the parents. If the parents don't care, don't discipline, don't teach to respect authorities then the students suffers. Then the teacher has to spend extra time with said child and less time we the class room, and the teacher suffers. I would say 99% of the teachers care and want to see the student be successful and the parents care then you have a start to a successful school. 

10 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

There is a federal law that requires districts that have low performing schools to provide a better alternative to the low performing school. If my child was zoned to Central and it was a low performing school, you can best believe I'm requesting a transfer to West Brook or Ozen if they are performing up to standards. BISD will either grant my transfer request per the law or get sued into paying for my child to attend Kelly. Its bigger than athletics to me. I'm more about the quality of education. Of course this can all be a non factor with BISD making all the schools great.

On July 26, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Raiders94 said:

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that this is the last year that BISD will let students and or parents chose the school that they want to go to. From what I understand next year they will have to go to the school zone that they live in. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

I've heard this over the last few months, but not sure if it's true.  I work in real estate and lots of people are trying to move to the West End because of this rumor.  

11 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

I've heard this over the last few months, but not sure if it's true.  I work in real estate and lots of people are trying to move to the West End because of this rumor.  

But when in the last 30 years have people not wanted to buy homes in the West End?

On 7/28/2016 at 11:08 AM, Jag Insider said:

Good point! Tony Brown will graduate from Alabama a full year earlier and he is a product of Ozen H.S.. There are several kids doing well academically and striving in the work place from both Central and Ozen despite some of the problems they faced their. If kids are teachers are never around quality or pushed to obtain quality and simply run to quality then the schools will never reach their full potential academically.  What happen to pride in making b our schools and communities better. Sometimes we have to become part of the solution to fix the problem!  IJS