I am not particularly religious

stevenash

But I read this on another social media sight and am wondering if anyone agrees with this statement?

"No politician will ever be able to fix the social unrest of our country. They can hold vigils, rallies, give eloquent heartfelt speeches, make all the promises you want to hear, raise "awareness", point fingers, throw money at every problem and create new laws, but they cannot do ANYTHING that will change the fact that God's laws have been broken, and we are suffering because of our own sin."

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

But I read this on another social media sight and am wondering if anyone agrees with this statement?

"No politician will ever be able to fix the social unrest of our country. They can hold vigils, rallies, give eloquent heartfelt speeches, make all the promises you want to hear, raise "awareness", point fingers, throw money at every problem and create new laws, but they cannot do ANYTHING that will change the fact that God's laws have been broken, and we are suffering because of our own sin."

Agree

I agree no politician can fix it and I know God can and that he has a plan and I know that we all are sinners and for me I am a work in progress never to be suitable to live in Gods kingdom but through his grace and the fact that he sent Jesus to die for our sins and knowing that I will never be deserving on my merits I do think I am going to be pleased with the outcome! JMO 

Politicians (or anyone else) can never fix mankind's ills until politicians can make us all think alike. 

I think that I have a fair good grasp of the situation and believe that will never happen. Our situation is man's doing and not God's unless God intentionally creates turmoil. 

We are all people of free will. If a person is a believer in God but does not believe that we are all on our own to make decisions (free will), that negates any responsibility for our sins. 

If God is in all control or does not exist, mankind will never come into agreement. It doesn't matter about politicians. Mankind had disagreements and all sorts of crime long before there were established government. Doing away with all politics tomorrow will end nothing and in fact would likely make it worse. 

4 hours ago, 77 said:

I agree no politician can fix it and I know God can and that he has a plan and I know that we all are sinners and for me I am a work in progress never to be suitable to live in Gods kingdom but through his grace and the fact that he sent Jesus to die for our sins and knowing that I will never be deserving on my merits I do think I am going to be pleased with the outcome! JMO 

even if i am not pleased with the outcome, I always accept it .

11 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Politicians (or anyone else) can never fix mankind's ills until politicians can make us all think alike. 

I think that I have a fair good grasp of the situation and believe that will never happen. Our situation is man's doing and not God's unless God intentionally creates turmoil. 

We are all people of free will. If a person is a believer in God but does not believe that we are all on our own to make decisions (free will), that negates any responsibility for our sins

If God is in all control or does not exist, mankind will never come into agreement. It doesn't matter about politicians. Mankind had disagreements and all sorts of crime long before there were established government. Doing away with all politics tomorrow will end nothing and in fact would likely make it worse. 

Slight theological error there TVC. Original sin that took place in Genesis 3 brought guilt upon us all, therefore we were all sinful from birth (Psalm 51:5). Did any of you have to teach your children to lie, or hit, or throw fits?  Each of us is born into a state of total depravity (Ephesians 2:1-3), and it takes the intervention of Christ to save us from that state (Ephesians 2:4-10). None of us are sinless creatures, heck some of us lust in our sleep. How are we to control that? The only thing that regenerates the sinful heart (because of original sin) of man is Christ. What we are experiencing in our world today is a direct result of our totally depraved state. Slavery which led to segregation which led to discrimination which led to racism which leads to hate, murder, and more hate and murder. Our only hope is Christ and his intervention in the chaos. As believers, we should spend more time praying for Christ to step into the situation, rather than pointing fingers at one another trying to decide whose life matters more.

So to answer the original question, are we suffering because of our own sin? No. We are suffering because of original sin.

13 minutes ago, Scatright said:

Slight theological error there TVC. Original sin that took place in Genesis 3 brought guilt upon us all, therefore we were all sinful from birth (Psalm 51:5). Did any of you have to teach your children to lie, or hit, or throw fits?  Each of us is born into a state of total depravity (Ephesians 2:1-3), and it takes the intervention of Christ to save us from that state (Ephesians 2:4-10). None of us are sinless creatures, heck some of us lust in our sleep. How are we to control that? The only thing that regenerates the sinful heart (because of original sin) of man is Christ. What we are experiencing in our world today is a direct result of our totally depraved state. Slavery which led to segregation which led to discrimination which led to racism which leads to hate, murder, and more hate and murder. Our only hope is Christ and his intervention in the chaos. As believers, we should spend more time praying for Christ to step into the situation, rather than pointing fingers at one another trying to decide whose life matters more.

So to answer the original question, are we suffering because of our own sin? No. We are suffering because of original sin.

Preach!

40 minutes ago, Scatright said:

Slight theological error there TVC...........

Well we read the original post differently then. I read it and answered it under the premise that politicians cannot solve our problems. They can't.

Whether someone wants to attach a biblical reasoning to it or not is an individual choice.  

All political disagreements or social unrest are not sins. If one group wants to let states run all education and one group wants the federal government to step in, what sin are we talking about? If someone thinks we need better roads and another doesn't want to spend the money, again what sin are we talking about and why would God care? In fact when it comes to sins and politics there is actually little disagreement. 

You saw the word God and felt compelled to preach the Bible. That is great if you wish however I did not take the question nor did I respond as to why there is sin. 

The only theology that I mentioned is that we are people of free will. 

And no, politicians will never make everyone believe the same thing and that even goes for equally religious Christians of the same denomination. 

You answered the question to your beliefs about, "Why is there sin". I never noticed that in the original post nor did I attempt to answer it so there is no theological error. 

12 hours ago, tvc184 said:

We are all people of free will. If a person is a believer in God but does not believe that we are all on our own to make decisions (free will), that negates any responsibility for our sins. 

35 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Well we read the original post differently then. I read it and answered it under the premise that politicians cannot solve our problems. They can't.

Whether someone wants to attach a biblical reasoning to it or not is an individual choice.  

All political disagreements or social unrest are not sins. If one group wants to let states run all education and one group wants the federal government to step in, what sin are we talking about? If someone thinks we need better roads and another doesn't want to spend the money, again what sin are we talking about and why would God care? In fact when it comes to sins and politics there is actually little disagreement. 

You saw the word God and felt compelled to preach the Bible. That is great if you wish however I did not take the question nor did I respond as to why there is sin. 

The only theology that I mentioned is that we are people of free will. 

And no, politicians will never make everyone believe the same thing and that even goes for equally religious Christians of the same denomination. 

You answered the question to your beliefs about, "Why is there sin". I never noticed that in the original post nor did I attempt to answer it so there is no theological error. 

You did attempt to answer "why is there sin". That's why you said in your original post that we are a "people of free will", and said that if we believe in God but do not believe in free will then that "negates any responsibility for our sins".

And yes, all political disagreements and social unrest are directly tied back to original sin. Before the fall in Genesis 3, things were set up so that God was the singular rule and all happiness and fulfillment within his people was met by his very existence. After the fall, when man was exiled from the garden, we began to suffer the effects of a fallen world. It was at that point that disagreements and unrest began, and they have continued ever since.

I don't want to get into an argument with you, I am just explaining why I interjected as I did. I am happy to continue the discussion, as long as it doesn't turn ugly.

On 7/14/2016 at 8:20 AM, LumRaiderFan said:

Preach!

People were being lynched in droves. People from ALL races were murdered, because they believed in equal rights for all. Black people couldn't sit in a restaurant without being harassed, possibly beaten. A black person couldn't sit in the front of the bus without repercussions. This occurred because of sin.. The Civil Rights Act changed that. It became illegal to do the aforementioned things and because of that, THOSE types incidents don't frequently occur. So, I do think the politicians and laws can affect change or is it effect? I always get those two words confused.

28 minutes ago, Big girl said:

People were being lynched in droves. People from ALL races were murdered, because they believed in equal rights for all. Black people couldn't sit in a restaurant without being harassed, possibly beaten. A black person couldn't sit in the front of the bus without repercussions. This occurred because of sin.. The Civil Rights Act changed that. It became illegal to do the aforementioned things and because of that, THOSE types incidents don't frequently occur. So, I do think the politicians and laws can affect change or is it effect? I always get those two words confused.

Then you are  saying that things are considerably improved these days?

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

When it pertains to being hanged from a tree by the KKK and entering a restaurant without being beaten to a pulp. Yes. Oh, and i can now ride in the front of the bus so yes things are better in those aspects.

You never experienced that. Get over it. What can't you do today?

That's where you need to live.....today. Tell me, what can't you do?